topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:11 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: TheGameCrafter: Cool new site to help you make and sell indie board/card games  (Read 8581 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I'm crazy for these sites that really try to automate the production and selling of indie products, especially for people like me who like to minimize the need to interact with actual humans.

This is a very cool new site that will let you go from board/card game idea and artwork, to a fully assembled game that is make on demand for single orders.  You design your game pieces, board, card, instructions, art, and upload them to an account -- there are lots of different parts you can include in your game and everything is automated.

The site calculates the production cost of a single game set, and like cafepress and other merchandise sites, you can then set how much markup you'd like to sell it for.  You then split the any markup profits with the site.

It's a wonderful idea i think.  You won't mistake these games for high-quality big production run games, but that's not the point -- the point is to make it easy for anyone to make a game they can sell in very small volumes and have a lot of fun doing it.  They even have a neat online gallery shop where you can buy games other people have made. Games are as low as $7 (cool!)

I'd love to see some people at DC making some games on the site -- if you do let me know and we'll give some away at DC!

Now if you'll excuse me i'm going to go back to the site and order a handful of fun looking games just for the fun of it.  :Thmbsup:

doctorfrog

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is a really great idea. I wonder why the guys at Cheapass Games didn't think of this? Only problem is, how do I know which games are actually good? I guess I can wait around a while, and see what their best sellers turn out to be, or if some of the games turn up in discussions on boardgame geek.

Mostly though, boardgames cost too much (for me), and it's good to see a print-on-demand company show up to potentially drive the prices down.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I will send a rare DC Games Division mug to the first donationcoder member who creates a fully completed ordereable game on that site -- plus I will order your game and review it :)

doctorfrog

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice motivation. ;D I'm no gamemaker, but then, I've never tried, have I?

At the very least, it would be nice to see how rabidly the folks at BoardGameGeek leap on this.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I will send a rare DC Games Division mug to the first donationcoder member who creates a fully completed ordereable game on that site -- plus I will order your game and review it :)

I might actually take you up on that... I've had an idea for a while... :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i'll extend my offer to the first N dc members who get this done -- BUT you have to get it done and not put it off too far.. try to get it done by jan 1!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New Board/Card Games for the New Year?

NB/CGNY just doesn't look good. And it's hard to pronunce.