topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Evernote alternative that has an online interface?  (Read 25887 times)

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Evernote alternative that has an online interface?
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2009, 09:13 AM »
Yeah. I kind of got lost here too.

Besides, Evernote is going on with another version that requires Microsoft Net Framework.
Dat, i don't like very much.

I use EPIM now. There's a freeware version and save to Dropbox (2G).
MSN's Skydive with what is it, 24G of space might be an option to look at.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2009, 11:32 AM »
I didn't know EPIM had a webclipper now.

Skydrive does give a lot of space. Surprised you'd consider it if you dislike .Net.

I have a lot of progs that run on .Net, so it makes little difference to me if something requires it.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2009, 12:28 PM »
Actually, EPIM doesn't have a webclipper.
But, with Firefox you can save data and url from webpages in one clip.
Then export to your notes to .html format on Dropbox.
Grant you, it's not as neat as Evernote but if you work mostly from your desktop, it's a handy file to have when you're away.
Personally, i find EN to be slow online and the new desktop program to be clunkier.
Other users don't like the new desktop version either.

Does Skydive require Net Framework? will have to check system requirements.
I, on the contrary, don't have any programs that require Framework.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2009, 01:41 PM »
I've read and reread the thread, and I'm not really clear what precisely is being looked for (or why).

I mostly use Opera. Evernote works very well with it.

I also use Ultra Recall . It does seem to work fine with Dropbox (and other similar services). But, I prefer to use it for structured info - so I would never think of it as a program for clipping notes from web pages, although it does do this, unless the clipping is to do with specific projects.

I tend to use Evernote for unstructured info - or stuff where I'm still to decide on how to organise it - and for stuff I want OCRd (eg text on the web as an image rather than text). It does it pretty well. It's not obvious to me that I would achieve the same with a Ultra Recall and Dropbox combo.

"What is precisely being looked for" is in the first post. OP doesn't want to use Evernote, for whatever reason, and asked for an alternative that allows web clipping and is available "on the web". While UR isn't available as a web app it can be viewed on other computers via Dropbox.

That's all; just an alternative. Pretty clear what was asked IMO. If you don't like the question, or want to stump for  Evernote despite what the OP asked, have at it!   ;)

Jim

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2009, 05:05 PM »
"What is precisely being looked for" is in the first post. OP doesn't want to use Evernote, for whatever reason, and asked for an alternative that allows web clipping and is available "on the web". While UR isn't available as a web app it can be viewed on other computers via Dropbox.

That's all; just an alternative. Pretty clear what was asked IMO.

Well, I can't see that's really correct.

The second post by the OP added the need for a desktop client; and the third post added the need for compatibility with Opera/Chrome. The second post also said that there was no need for all the features of Evernote, so long as there was clipping and note-taking.

Seems to me that Evernote actually meets this combination of needs better than most of the suggested alternatives (the ones I know anyway), which leaves me with the question of what precisely is being looked for. I'm assuming that there is a problem with Evernote, but, given the set of posted requirements, it seems easier to see what is wrong with the alternatives.

I certainly see most of Snail02's POV. I too use Opera, with Chrome as my preferred backup. I too have tried FF and find it just does not work for me, though I can see the attraction of the extensions. I also enjoy having access to some info over the web, but also having everything available through desktop clients and local storage. For me, EN does OK for this, so I wonder what the problem is for Snail02.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2009, 09:40 PM »
I think that if I didn't have Evernote, I would probably try setting up a clipper, with the database kept in a folder that was syncd to the net (such as Dropbox). I use Clipmate and Snagit extensively and I'm pretty sure I could get a system like that working well. What wouldn't be quite so convenient would be that atm my use of Evernote is on the basis that I know that everything in it will be saved to the net. I don't want everything I use Clipmate or Snagit for saved to the net and wouldn't want to change the settings to stop it. Could probably set up another clipper (eg Ditto), just for that use though.

Better controls for clipping; not so good controls for making notes.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2009, 09:57 PM »
I notice since installing Windows 7 last week that it has a web clipping tool of some kind, though admittedly I haven't looked at it yet; just see it on the Start menu. Has anyone tried it? Comments?

Thank you.

Jim

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2009, 03:31 AM »
Haven't tried this but someone posted this link in FriendFeed:

http://www.memonic.com/

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2010, 07:16 AM »
Just came upon this small freeware: http://quotepad.info/

And! It doesn't need .Net Framework to work! Yes!   :Thmbsup: