topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:33 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for freeware ghost clone with boot manager  (Read 6636 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking for freeware ghost clone with boot manager
« on: November 10, 2009, 07:49 AM »
I have some laptops at work that I wish to configure as such:

Boot to a menu that has...
1) Boot to WinXP
2) Boot to Vista
3) Restore to clean WinXP
4) Restore to clean Vista

This would allow me to boot to either WinXP or Vista and when I want to wipe either image clean and start over I just choose option 3 or 4 and it copies over the cloned image and reboots.

I know there are several programs out there that can probably do this, but I don't know which one or combination that gets me what I want. So this is the first stop on my research path.

Thanks as always for you help.

mrHappy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for freeware ghost clone with boot manager
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 08:40 AM »
Never tried it myself, so don't know if it does exactly what you want.
But from everything I've read and heard BootIt NG should be at least close to what you're looking for.
There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who have friends.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 08:49 AM »
Thank you. BootIt NG has a good reputation, but it is shareware, not freeware. I need a freeware solution.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 11:13 AM »
An off the top of my head suggestion:

Use GRUB4DOS as the boot menu, setting it up per normal for booting into XP/Vista.

For the recovery part, first create partition images using Partition Saving.
Create two Partition Saving boot floppies, one has an autoexec.bat that will restore the XP partition, the other to restore the Vista partition (Partition Saving has rather extensive options, the archive has a description and examples on how to create an options file).

So the autoexec.bat on one floppy might have 'savepart -r -f XP.cfg', to restore XP.  On the other floppy it might have 'savepart -r -f Vista.cfg' to restore the Vista partition.

Then turn the two floppies into images using WinImage (30 day trial), (eg. RestoreXP.img and RestVsta.img), and use GRUB4DOS to boot them from it's menu.

This should give you a boot menu with your four choices and costs nothing except a little reading and preparation.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 12:21 PM »
GRUB4DOS and Partition Saving sound good. But I need a "fully legit" solution instead of WinImage. I have UltraISO myself, but that is a personal license and not one I can let the folks at work use. And I don't have floppy drives on these machine, so I want a virtual floppy solution.

beermatt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 05:34 PM »
FloppyImage is free and allows you to read/write disk images to/from physical disks (I've used it for adding images to UBCD, you may need to select "Create compatible IMG files" under "Settings").

Also if you have a network it may be worth looking at FOG..?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 06:04 PM »
GRUB4DOS and Partition Saving sound good. But I need a "fully legit" solution instead of WinImage. I have UltraISO myself, but that is a personal license and not one I can let the folks at work use. And I don't have floppy drives on these machine, so I want a virtual floppy solution.

so you're looking for free for commercial use -
have you checked out Steven Avery's thread here listing software free for commercial use?
Here's the post about backup etc:
https://www.donation....msg169835#msg169835
Tom

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 09:28 PM »
FloppyImage is free and allows you to read/write disk images to/from physical disks (I've used it for adding images to UBCD, you may need to select "Create compatible IMG files" under "Settings").

Good catch!  I won't have to keep downloading WinImage to create an image now :)

Also if you have a network it may be worth looking at FOG..?

I think that requires user-interaction, like PiNG, which is why I didn't suggest PiNG in the first place.  My read was tinjaw was looking for a 'Hit button, wait for reboot' kind of restoration.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 11:00 AM »
FloppyImage is free and allows you to read/write disk images to/from physical disks

I took a look at the description of Floppy Image and it doesn't look I can create floppy images without creating a physical floppy first and then imaging that. I don't have floppies on any of these computers at work. We haven't have floppy drives in our computers for probably four years.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 01:15 PM »
You're really making us work for this.....give Virtual Floppy Drive a go.  Just tried it on XP and it let me change the contents.

Just noticed you mentioned no floppy drives previously.

EDIT: Let he who has understanding reckon the number of the beast, for it is a human number.

Woohoo!  Post 666....proof that I am truly evil!!!  >:D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 01:42 PM by 4wd »