topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Copy Files in Defined Order  (Read 8899 times)

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Copy Files in Defined Order
« on: November 04, 2009, 10:56 AM »
Here is the deal;

I have a cheap but wonderful MP3 player. The device will play the MP3s in the order they were copied onto it. This is great because I only use it to listen to podcasts. I am able to add files to listen to before I am finished with the others and it will play it in the order it was copied to the unit. The unit looks like a USB drive to the computer.

My dilemma;

I download a list of daily podcasts usually weekly. I then copy them onto the player in the order they were recorded. I use Terracopy to copy the files to the player but when files are added to it, they are not in sequential order. Terracopy does not allow you to alter the position of the files once they are added to the program so I have to drag the files one at a time to the program in the order I want them copied.

Is there a program that I can drop my files into, sort them the way I want, and then copy them in the order to my player? Maybe an AHK script?

Thanks!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Copy Files in Defined Order
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 04:54 PM »
Have you tried my File Bucket application?  Website | DC Forum  It might need a tweak or two but it's probably pretty close to what you want.

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 07:33 PM »
Have you tried my File Bucket application?  Website | DC Forum  It might need a tweak or two but it's probably pretty close to what you want.

The program appears to be similar to Terracopy. Being able to move and organize the files once copied to temp area is what is missing in both programs.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 08:15 PM »
that app was written for a similar but slightly different purpose, and as he said, it would need to be tweaked to do what you're asking for

however in order to do that we would need to know a bit more about your requirements, ie

• how are the files named?
  • how do you want them sorted?
  • do you use a consistent sort?
  • any other considerations?

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 09:28 PM »
    * how are the files named?

They are usually alpha-numerical

* how do you want them sorted?

I normally sort them by the mp3 ID Tag info ie track number, but I can append the file names to sort easier and keep the program simple.

* do you use a consistent sort?

Yes and no! I might combine two or three different podcasts which will use different naming nomenclature.

* any other considerations?

The most important is the ability to move a file up or down the list in the order for it to be copied.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 09:48 PM »
as the only consistency appears to be the order in which the files are copied I'm wondering why just dragging and dropping the files individually won't have the desired effect

I'm not being glib here, it just seems like you would likely need to do some preparatory work (renaming, merging, etc) before you dropped the files to another app just to sort them in the sequence of the day so you could copy them to your player.  I have no idea how many files were talking about here but at the end of the day it might be quicker and simpler to just copy the files individually (sorry, that's not a very spectacular solution...)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 11:37 PM »
I am able to add files to listen to before I am finished with the others and it will play it in the order it was copied to the unit.

If this is the case, then the player MUST be keeping track of the order as you add files.  I can easily extend File Bucket to allow you to sort the list you create in the lower pane before you copy the files to your MP3 player.  Will this be acceptable?

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 02:16 PM »
If this is the case, then the player MUST be keeping track of the order as you add files.  I can easily extend File Bucket to allow you to sort the list you create in the lower pane before you copy the files to your MP3 player.  Will this be acceptable?

That would be great! That is what I was trying to get across in my previous post when I tried the program. :Thmbsup:

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 02:22 PM »
as the only consistency appears to be the order in which the files are copied I'm wondering why just dragging and dropping the files individually won't have the desired effect

I'm not being glib here, it just seems like you would likely need to do some preparatory work (renaming, merging, etc) before you dropped the files to another app just to sort them in the sequence of the day so you could copy them to your player.  I have no idea how many files were talking about here but at the end of the day it might be quicker and simpler to just copy the files individually (sorry, that's not a very spectacular solution...)

Hi Target,

That is what I have to do now. I will copy 10-20 files at a time, so doing it one at a time is cumbersome. The frustrating part is that only a few files will be out of order when copied to a copy program (like terracopy and filebucket) which do not let you sort your copy list prior to the actual copying. SKWIRE is going to modify his program filebucket to allow this feature which will solve the problem.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 04:00 PM »
Website | Download

v1.0.2 - 2009-11-07
    + Added up/down buttons to move a contiguous selection up and down through the lower listview.  (Thanks, wetsmellydog)
    + Added ctrl-up/ctrl-down hotkeys to move a contiguous selection up and down through the lower listview.
    * Changed the icon look.

main.pngIDEA: Copy Files in Defined Order
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 04:02 PM by skwire »

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 07:32 PM »
Website | Download

v1.0.2 - 2009-11-07
    + Added up/down buttons to move a contiguous selection up and down through the lower listview.  (Thanks, wetsmellydog)
    + Added ctrl-up/ctrl-down hotkeys to move a contiguous selection up and down through the lower listview.
    * Changed the icon look.

(see attachment in previous post)

SKWIRE U DA MAN!  :Thmbsup:

Works like a charm. It is EXACTLY what I have been looking for.

Thanks for tweaking an already great program.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 03:28 AM »
You're welcome.  :)