topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: BoomerApp.com - New Software Rebates Website from BitsDuJour  (Read 13826 times)

iconico

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
By now we hope you've all seen BitsDuJour.com the daily software discount website, well, we've gone one better!

We're thrilled to announce the launch of our newest software discount website:
http://BoomerApp.com

So, what makes BoomerApp unlike all the other software websites out there? We think a lot. Firstly we can offer software deals that are up to 100% OFF of the regular retail prices.

It all works with mail-in rebates. You pay the retail price up-front, and then print out the special rebate form. After you've posted it to one of our worldwide locations we'll send you your payment within two business days.

What's more, after you've made your purchase, you may be offered another software application which you can choose to get instead of redeeming your rebate, the choice is yours.

We're excited to feature some great software vendors to bring you some really excellent software, at prices lower than we've ever been able to get on BitsDuJour. Our software roster is invite-only at the moment, and hope to feature some of the best software out there. The rebate deals only last one week so you'll need to act fast to make the most of them.

We know that a lot of DonationCoder visitors are BitsDuJour fans, we want to thank you for your continued support and welcome you to visit the new website.

The rebate deals go live right now, so stop by or follow us on Twitter:

http://BoomerApp.com
http://twitter.com/BoomerApp

--
Nico Westerdale
http://www.BoomerApp.com - The NEW Software Rebates Website

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BoomerApp.com - New Software Rebates Website from BitsDuJour
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 12:15 PM »
It all works with mail-in rebates. You pay the retail price up-front, and then print out the special rebate form. After you've posted it to one of our worldwide locations we'll send you your payment within two business days.
does that "worldwide" mean that this software can be bought from any country in the world?

The rebate deals only last one week so you'll need to act fast to make the most of them.
hopefully the postal service is good :)
Tom

iconico

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 12:20 PM »
does that "worldwide" mean that this software can be bought from any country in the world?
Yes it does, you can purchase in any country (apart from those on the US trade embargo list i.e. Cuba)

The rebate deals only last one week so you'll need to act fast to make the most of them.
Depends on your country, but we've tested it and it works great in the US and Europe.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 12:28 PM »

He means that the *deal* is only good for one week, I think.  From the site FAQ, you have 30 days in which to mail in the rebate.

iconico

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 12:34 PM »

He means that the *deal* is only good for one week, I think.  From the site FAQ, you have 30 days in which to mail in the rebate.

Correct, the deal is avialable for a week, but you have 30 days to post your rebate form.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 01:28 AM »
Not to rain on your parade, but mail-in rebates?? Mail-in rebates have to be one of the worst possible deals for consumers. Great for sellers no doubt, though. I have had so many mail-in rebates lost, ignored, refused for absurd reasons, etc., that I refuse to even consider them as discounts. I look at the price I must pay up front and consider that the actual price. If a mail-in rebate actually works, consider it "found money".

Most of the rebate fulfillment firms in the US have been sued by state attorneys at one time or another. And most have web sites where you can read their pitch to retailers, how they can promise the fewest successful rebate submittals,  thus guaranteeing retailers the best of all worlds - offering so-called "discounts" that only have a 30% rate of payout.

IMO this could be a good program with almost any other pricing gimmick; but not with MIRs.

My opinion only, of course...   8)

Jim

iconico

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 01:51 AM »
Not to rain on your parade, but mail-in rebates?? Mail-in rebates have to be one of the worst possible deals for consumers....

You're right that some mail-in rebate companies refuse or make the rebates hard to get, that's why we've partnered with RebateDelivery. This is a new company and was set up by the former owner of SwiftCD and earlier RegSoft, which were since sold to Digital River. I've known the owner personally for several years. They know the software industry inside out, and have built the infrastructure and organization from the ground up to do it right.

I've tried the process myself and it's quick, painless, and just plain works.

We've run BitsDuJour off of the support and trust of independent software vendors and software enthusiasts, we're not about to wreck it by partnering with a fly-by-night organization that doesn't have the same values that we have.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 01:54 AM by iconico »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 01:54 AM »
I wasn't trying to cast any shadows on Bits - I have used your site for some time now, purchasing many of my apps there. Very respectable web site. It's the rebate issue in general that gives me heartburn.

Thank you.

Jim

iconico

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 01:56 AM »
I wasn't trying to cast any shadows on Bits - I have used your site for some time now, purchasing many of my apps there. Very respectable web site. It's the rebate issue in general that gives me heartburn.

I'm very glad you hold us in good regard, hopefully we can change your perception on rebates. Heck, I'll go one better, if anyone has any problem whatsoever with a rebate from BoomerApp I'll personally write them a check.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 02:00 AM by iconico »

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 03:26 AM »
Just thought I will weigh in on this from another angle. And this is not to cast aspersion on the rebate system but to help others recognize the pitfalls.

If you are someone who is buying from other than from the USA, I think you are basically out of luck even if the rebate system is reliable.

Basically, you will get a check Drawn on a US Bank, let's say US$39 in this case for yaTimer.

Now, what are you going to do ?

Go to your local bank of course.

Now if you understand this aspect of the international payment system, you will know or soon find out that your local bank through some round about process, have to exchange this check with a US based bank and in the process, you will find that the amount you get will magically disappear because of Bank commission, exchange commission, etc some of which there is a minimum sum and your final receipt after you have queue up at your bank and paid your parking charges etc is not really worth your trouble.

You may end up with US$10, maybe US$5, maybe more, maybe less. Who knows - you are at the mercy of the local and international banks for the various charges they wish to deduct.

I suggest you ask you local bank what sort of charges is involved in when you cash a US check if you are not in the USA. You may even find that your local bank give you a non-committal answer saying it depends of which bank it comes from.

Unfortunately, when this happens, there will be some rather unhappy people who unwittingly became victims of the "system" and who is going to get blamed. Certainly not the banks.

Now, mind you, this is just the "system" of clearing an International Checks from another country that is not your own country - ie whether you are in Australia, getting a UK or US check.

But if the 100% rebate is for a US$390 software, what is US$20 or even US$50 for bank charges to help pay the fat cats on Wall Street.

Update:

I just read that for certain countries (in their FAQ) , the check will be sent in the local currency. But do note that if again the check is drawn on a US bank, the back and forth thing between your local bank and the US Bank continue to apply and that means the bank commission charges.

Do correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 09:24 PM by patteo »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 06:27 AM »
Update:

I just read that for certain countries (in their FAQ) , the check will be sent in the local currency. But do note that if again the check is drawn on a US bank, the back and forth thing between your local bank and the US Bank continue to apply and that means the bank commission charges.

Do correct me if I'm wrong.

for the record/example:
in Germany, cashing a foreign cheque in the same currency (I mean cashing a cheque from another EU country; cheque drawn in € euro) costs 11 euros [in my bank]

edited to clarify 'foreign'
Tom
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 06:39 AM by tomos »

iconico

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 10:18 AM »
Guys, please check the FAQ. For the majority of European countries, and many more, including Germany, France and the United Kingdom, you will be paid in your local currency:

http://www.boomerapp.com/about/#rb2

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 10:47 AM »
Not to rain on your parade, but mail-in rebates?? Mail-in rebates have to be one of the worst possible deals for consumers.

Jim

Word up.

Also for couple of dollars I would not give my personal information to people-companies who have no place of getting them in the first place.

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 10:56 AM »
Guys, please check the FAQ. For the majority of European countries, and many more, including Germany, France and the United Kingdom, you will be paid in your local currency:

Yes, I have read and I think Tomos and I are referring to the same thing.

The point is that unless the local currency check is issued by your LOCAL bank or the LOCAL branch of the Foreign bank, you are still at the mercy of your local bank and the foreign bank involved.

For example, say in a country like Australia, unless your A$39 check is issued by say WestPac or Commonwealth Bank of Australia, which are Australian based banks, or say Bank of America (Sydney Branch) rather than a A$39 issued by Bank of America (ie drawn on a US bank say Los Angeles Branch), you are still subjected to unnecessary bank charges I'm referring to.

So perhaps the pertinent question is will the local currency payment be a local check issued by the local bank or the local branch of the US bank ?

This determines if the recipient receives the equivalent of US$39 or US$39 less bank commission & other charges.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 11:23 AM by patteo »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 12:44 PM »
This wont help you much Patteo in Australia but is good news for european customers:
For selected (mainly European) countries you will be paid in your local currency using using electronic funds transfer or bank transfer, these countries are as follows:
-
with a bank transfer the bank charges are only a few pence
Tom

iconico

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 12:59 PM »
The point is that unless the local currency check is issued by your LOCAL bank or the LOCAL branch of the Foreign bank, you are still at the mercy of your local bank and the foreign bank involved.

Thanks so much for posting this, I want to clarify everything, and I just had a long conversation on the phone with the head of RebateDelivery so that I know I'm saying the right thing.

For the following countries we send you get paid directly using electronic funds transfer or bank transfer in local currencies from a local bank:

Austria, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Guadeloupe, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Martinique, Netherlands, Poland, Réunion, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, United Kingdom

For the following countries we send you get paid directly by check in local currencies from a local bank:

Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, France, Gibraltar, Greece, Guyana, India, Ireland, Malaysia, Malta, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Portugal, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden

So in Singapore, for example, the consumer gets a Singapore bank check (from ABN AMRO Bank, a Singaporean Bank) in Singapore Dollars.

In Australia, you're being paid in Australian dollars, from an Australian bank, not an Austrailian branch of a US bank.

So for all these countries listed above there should be no bank fees, and there is no currency conversion, and you're being paid from a bank in that country.

The only International case where we do send out a USD check is to the "Limited Support Countries", which are those not listed above, they're on the FAQ and a very long list which I don't want to spam here. As you can see, these probably represent only a small fraction of purchasers.

I'll be updating our FAQs to properly reflect this. Thanks for raising such an important point, I hope I've clarified it.

iconico

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 02:14 PM »
FYI: In Australia we use NAB (National Australian Bank).