topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Complaint: FeedDemon is now adware, but does not disclose it  (Read 28016 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Complaint: FeedDemon is now adware, but does not disclose it
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2010, 11:15 PM »
I may be reading more into than necessary, though!

Ya think?! Can you tell me what the US stock markets will do next month? Wow - I wish I had your abilities!  ;)   :P

Thanks!

Jim

(Just messin' with you, Mikie!)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2010, 11:48 PM »
Buy Amalgamated!

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2011, 09:36 PM »
Hey Mr. Darwin, sir: So did you go ahead and upgrade to FeedDemon 4? If so, how do you like it so far? I understand that a lot has changed. (Like my most favorite view in the entire world is gone!  :huh:  >:(  )

I was going to get the upgrade but am holding off now; I started up FD3 - which I hadn't used in a few weeks - and it will not sync and more. I am feedless! I posted on the new FD Google Group and discussed ti with Nick but nothing seems to get it moving again. I even reinstalled - nothing. I was hoping Nick could figure out why before I shell out $$ for an upgrade, but he seems to have given up.

Thanks!

Jim

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2011, 10:18 PM »
I was going to get the upgrade but am holding off now; I started up FD3 - which I hadn't used in a few weeks - and it will not sync and more. I am feedless! I posted on the new FD Google Group and discussed ti with Nick but nothing seems to get it moving again. I even reinstalled - nothing. I was hoping Nick could figure out why before I shell out $$ for an upgrade, but he seems to have given up.

Nick is a friend of mine so I dropped him a quick note. Hopefully he'll drop by.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2011, 11:42 PM »
I did upgrade to v.4 and have really enjoyed the tweaks that have been made. I find the options for how I view feeds much more flexible in this version than in previous ones - which view are  you missing?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2011, 11:19 AM »
Newspaper Style Blue Vista. I'm afraid that it is gone for good. I saw other posts from users who upgraded asking about it in the new FeedDemon Google Group and Nick said that he didn't include it in 4.0. So I'd have to get used to a different reading style. Certainly not a deal killer but I wish I could see some of the remaining styles in 4.0 before upgrading.

Also, I really want to see why I lost all my feeds in 3.1 before upgrading! When I opened it about two weeks ago it had a lot of old posts in the DB so I used the clean-up wizard and all disappeared. The subscriptions are all still in there but no articles at all. It should be able to easily re-sync with Google Reader and get the latest articles but it isn't. I made sure that my Google Reader username and password are correct - they are - and that I can log in to Google Reader OK - I can. But FeedDemon can't log in to Google Reader. Nick asked me to go to View>Reports>FeedDemon Event Log and send the log to him but that menu item doesn’t exist in FD 3.1; only in 4.x. I did manage to locate the FD log but it is in some non-human-readable language. I got it converted to a format where I could read most of it and saw that FD was getting a 403 error for every feed and a 400 error for the main Google Reader log-in itself. Basically FeedDemon is not able to log in to my Google Reader account. Like I said, log-in credentials in FeedDemon are correct so it should be able to log in. But it can't apparently. Nick had me delete some registry keys, uninstall and reinstall FD - no dice. He asked if I was banned from logging into Google Reader but I use my Google account daily without problems and I can log into Google Reader and see all my feeds just fine. Finally after my last post I just stopped getting any more replies from Nick. I'm guessing that he doesn’t really know what is wrong at this point and so moved on to other issues there.

I imagine that 4.0 might magically start working if I upgrade but I would really like to find out what the problem is before I pay for the upgrade. I mean, if it is something stupid like another developer pulled on me - suggesting to me that his app doesn’t always work well on Windows 7 if you have an Nvidia graphics card, so tough poop! - then I don’t want to upgrade! Not unreasonable of me, methinks!?

Thanks!

Jim

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2011, 10:52 PM »
Hmm... I can't really see much in the way of options for viewing feeds in Feeddemon 4. I'd be happy to go screenshot happy and show you what it looks like in various configurations, but I don't see any style options, just "Theme" (Blue, Orange, Olive, Black, and Silver).

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2011, 11:10 PM »
No thanks - I finally got my V3 working. I had the next to last build from V3 installed. I installed the latest - it was released less than a week after the one I was using - and it started working again. So I went ahead and upgraded to V4. I am still undecided as to how much I like this version though. Nick did remove more features than I expected. I had read all about them but the impact is hard to assess - until you start really using it.

Thanks!

Jim

tanis424

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2011, 11:39 PM »
Hmm... I can't really see much in the way of options for viewing feeds in Feeddemon 4. I'd be happy to go screenshot happy and show you what it looks like in various configurations, but I don't see any style options, just "Theme" (Blue, Orange, Olive, Black, and Silver).

The style options are not in the options dialog, which is where it seems you looked. There's a drop down menu at the bottom right of  the window, called "Styles". The four styles available - Expando, Speed Reader, Surfer, Time Cards - can be selected from here. Alternatively, you can change newspaper styles from the Advanced tab in the Feed Properties dialog.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2011, 01:06 AM »
Yes, that menu selection used to be in the menu bar under View>Newspaper>Styles, I believe. It is now pretty well hidden down on the right side of the status bar.

Jim

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2011, 07:32 AM »
OK - thanks, got it! When I upgrded all my settings were ported over from 3 (and when I upgraded to 3, from 2), so I've been perfectly happy. I checked out the four themes and still like what I've got, so I'll stick.

Glad you got your installation working, Jim  :Thmbsup:

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2013, 04:34 AM »
Just to update the thread, the very last version was published, free of any ads, adware or google support, never to be updated again, but fully functional.
http://nickbradbury....s-here-and-its-free/