topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Win7: Anyone else getting excited?  (Read 48900 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Win7: Anyone else getting excited?
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2009, 05:12 AM »
I have read most (but not all) of this thread so excuse me if this has already been mentioned ...

I just spotted this on Amazon UK:

Important--changes to EU release of Microsoft Windows 7

Please note that Microsoft have recently made a number of changes to the European release of Microsoft Windows 7. Please be aware that while this is subject to change, the latest information that Amazon has is:

* This version of Windows 7 ships as a full edition, suitable for both new Windows users and Windows Vista users looking to upgrade. Although a ‘clean install’ is not essential for existing Windows Vista users, this is recommended by Microsoft UK.
    * All editions of Windows 7 will now include the Internet Explorer 8 web browser as standard.

Amazon.co.uk will continue to update this page as and when further information becomes available.

So it appears that MS or the EU has backtracked on the original decision not to include Internet Explorer. Presumably the EU and US versions are now identical again or where there other differences I have forgotten about?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2009, 08:19 AM »
So it appears that MS or the EU has backtracked on the original decision not to include Internet Explorer.

In Win7, Microsoft now allows you to disable IE using the Windows Feature panel. Windows does get rather 'snarky' about it when you tell it to do so - and just how much of IE actually does get disabled is anybody's guess. But it's a start.

I wonder if that's the bone MS threw to the EU?

Presumably the EU and US versions are now identical again or where there other differences I have forgotten about?

Nope. We're one Big Happy World again. "Yesterday's Technology at Tomorrow's Prices" courtesy of those good folks in Seattle.

Hopefully your local price tag will be better than ours. ;)

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 08:21 AM by 40hz »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2009, 12:05 PM »
Hopefully your local price tag will be better than ours. ;)

Chances are poor Carol, and other UKers, will get the screw. Lots of software companies when setting UK software prices usually just remove the $ off of the US price tag and replace it with a £.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2009, 03:14 PM »
Chances are poor Carol, and other UKers, will get the screw. Lots of software companies when setting UK software prices usually just remove the $ off of the US price tag and replace it with a £.

Well, last time I looked $1.00 ≈ 0.68€ or £0.62 -  so that amounts to a pretty nice discount if that's how the distributors handle currency conversions. ;D

<Edit: NOT! See Carol's comment directly below...>  :'(

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 04:42 PM by 40hz »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2009, 03:55 PM »

Well, last time I looked $1.00 ≈ 0.68€ or £0.62 -  so that amounts to a pretty nice discount if that's how the distributors handle currency conversions. ;D

How do you work that out? If $1=£0.62 that means MS charge £1 in the UK so we pay $1.61 for the same item (give or take a cent). Doesn't looklike much of a discount to me.

Actually I now have a MAPs subscription so I get 10 copies of Windows Professional included + 10 copies of Office Enterprise (plus copies of Home Server/SB Server/Server Standard/Exchange/SQL Server etc and Visual Studio) for 'in-house' use - on average they all work out about £12 a copy for  each even if I only use Windows/Office. OK I am only using 4 copies of each so I don't get the full benefit but it ain't a bad deal.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 03:58 PM by Carol Haynes »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2009, 04:40 PM »

How do you work that out? If $1=£0.62 that means MS charge £1 in the UK so we pay $1.61 for the same item (give or take a cent). Doesn't looklike much of a discount to me.

I get that figure by being half awake (up all night last night and today getting a group of servers installed), and watching two other screens while typing, that's how. ;D

Thanks for catching me committing one of the most basic of arithmetic errors. :Thmbsup:

-----

Re: MAPS subscription

I have that too. I'm running 8 copies each of Windows and Office, along with several of the server products, so it's a very good deal for me.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2009, 08:18 AM »
On the True Launch Bar issues: It's not at all clear what most of you are saying that 'it doesn't work as a QuickLaunch replacement'?
I installed Win7 Ultimate x64 freshly on my Vista Enterprise x86 system, and moved all documents and settings over to my new install. I just installed all the apps I needed, including TLB 4.4 x64, and I have my TLB toolbar added to the taskbar just as I had it from Win 98, when I first bought it.
This is my taskbar with TLB at double height and small taskbar buttons:
Screenshot - 07-11-2009 , 15_14_54.jpg

Or am I missing some point?

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2009, 10:24 AM »
On the True Launch Bar issues: It's not at all clear what most of you are saying that 'it doesn't work as a QuickLaunch replacement'?

When I wrote that it was true at the time. There was no option in the Toolbars menu for the taskbar to add TrueLaunchBar to the taskbar. Yuri (the author) at the time said he was working hard on a fix because the new Super Task Bar changed the way things worked.

Your screenshot shows the little genius must have figured it out. I'll have to run off and download the latest version & give it a play.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2009, 01:03 PM »
I just went and downloaded TrueLaunchBar v4.42 Beta and I can confirm the taskbar toolbar is back! Having to run it in stand-alone mode just wasn't the same.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2010, 05:56 AM »
True Launch Bar v4.4.4 beta released.
I have never had any problems with the beta versions from True Launch bar.

The current beta version 4.4.4 must be much faster especially if you are using the skins. We optimized the virtual folders processing, so TLB will load virtual folder faster then previous versions. Also we've redesigned the way True launch Bar working with the icons. Now True Launch Bar uses much less the GDI resources. This is especially important for Windows 7 users.

What's new:
* Added the options for minimum menu width and height
* 13 buttons can be added on the menu caption to perform some
operation with menu or to open the context menus
* Improved skins format
* Improved performance with the skin
* Some minor improvements

Fixed:
* Arrows now changes on the pressing the toolbar button
* Cut the text of the buttons on some conditions
* Crash on clicking the scroll bar when tooltips are disabled
* The last columns of the lists are zero sized by default
* The layout lost on renaming the subfolders inside the virtual
folders
* The bottom position of the scroll bar
* The "default columns" option is ignored

The search box
We've added the search box support. This looks and works like the search box in the Windows Vista/7. Press CTRL+F, type the part of the name you want to find and True Launch Bar will find the shortcuts

Download: http://download.true...aunchbar444-beta.exe
More information: http://www.truelaunc....com/beta/index.html

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2010, 04:12 AM »
True Launch Bar v4.4.4 beta released.
I have never had any problems with the beta versions from True Launch bar.

- but apparently someone else had, so: ""True Launch Bar v4.4.6 beta released. This small update fixes the bug:
Explorer hungs and crashes for some conditions.

Download: http://download.true...aunchbar446-beta.exe ""

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2010, 04:29 AM »
Why are we using a Windows 7 thread for TLB announcements?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2010, 09:11 AM »
Josh - I imagine it's because TLB has been mentioned in this thread a number of times as a means to restore Vista and earlier Quick Launch Bar functionality to Win7.