topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Too many backups  (Read 7062 times)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Too many backups
« on: July 01, 2009, 11:03 AM »
I took a look today at my LBC directory and was dismayed to find it filled with backup files, often more than one per day.  On one day, there were six for LaunchBarCommander alone!  I see that you've made some change to the frequency with which backups are made, but I'm finding this really excessive.   How can I stop all these backup files from accumulating?  I don't mind having the most recent backup files, but I don't want my directory cluttered with all these older ones.  And no, I don't want them simply moved elsewhere.  I appreciate backups, but I really don't think I need more than the most recent, or at most the backups from the most recent date.  I'm running version 1.105.02, simply because I saw no need to upgrade.  I'd be happy to upgrade if that would cure the backup accumulation.  Will it?

EDIT:  I just noticed something else strange.  My file containing all my nodes and the like (I think) is called launch1.mcf.  The most recent launch1.mcf file is dated 6-29-09, but there are 4 backup files for launch1.mcf that are more recent--2 from 6-30 and two from 7-01.  I don't understand why this is so.  I'm also a little concerned, since I think I may have updated launch1.mcf yesterday, but the file is dated 6-29.  I'm not SURE I updated it yesterday rather than the day before, but I kinda think so. 

Sorry to raise more problems.  Thanks as always for this wonderful program and for your help.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 11:11 AM by cyberdiva »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Too many backups
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 11:37 AM »
i must admit that LBC is a bit excessive about backups.  one thing it does it make a backup every time you upgrade LBC and before you do any maintenance operation like clean-up unused icons.

why don't you upgrade to most recent LBC, then delete all the old backups, then keep an eye on the backups and tell me if you find it making backups when it shouldn't -- maybe i can reduce it.

joby_toss

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 12:38 PM »
I mean no disrespect, but "Too many backups" for me is actually a great news! "No backup" would be the real problem! :)
I am a 3D body trapping a single dimension soul.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 01:06 PM »
i must admit that LBC is a bit excessive about backups.  one thing it does it make a backup every time you upgrade LBC and before you do any maintenance operation like clean-up unused icons.

why don't you upgrade to most recent LBC, then delete all the old backups, then keep an eye on the backups and tell me if you find it making backups when it shouldn't -- maybe i can reduce it.
Thanks, mouser, I'll upgrade and get rid of all the clutter.  It's really pretty oppressive and counterproductive right now--I can barely see what's in my directory, since it's filled primarily with backups.  I'm not sure why that is.  I don't clean up used icons.  At times, I've moved a node from one place to another, or added a node, but that's about it.  Just the most recent day's backups would be enough, I think, or--since joby_toss obviously thinks differently--perhaps an option to have zillions of backups or just the most recent day's.  :)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 03:12 PM »
Hi, again.  Just thought I'd report that I did install 1.108.01 and then went into the LBC directory and deleted about 60 backup files, mostly from the past few days. SIXTY!   ::)

Briansdad

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 07:59 AM »
I make a backup every time I make changes. I know I must have a gig or so of them. But, where are they so I can delete some?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 08:07 AM »
they will be in same directory as your normal launchbar file.

Briansdad

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 08:43 AM »
Nope, they're not there. I should have lots. Every time I make a change, like add a node in Preferences I save and then go to {Tools} {Maintenance Operations} {Backup Current File}. What is the file extension - I could do a search for that.

Bill

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 08:48 AM »
mcf files are the ones you want to look for.

Briansdad

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 10:51 AM »
Thanks. They were in ...\Documents\LaunchbarCommander. I guess I must have specified that folder at installatioon but I don't remember it.

Bill