topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:26 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Microsoft Security Essentials (Morro) Beta  (Read 12510 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Microsoft Security Essentials (Morro) Beta
« on: June 25, 2009, 09:10 PM »
Well, I missed the set ~48 hour (I've read 75k download limit) download window from Microsoft, however I did still manage to obtain a copy and have it running on my machine now (alongside Spyware Terminator and Threatfire, no problems).

Figured I would give my opinion/experience thus far and maybe PM a link to the installer to those that may be inclined to give it a test of their own...

My experience:

The setup is straightforward and fast. It takes a whole 60 seconds from launch (of Setup) to launch (of MSE) - Windows Validation is tested before installation, and since mine has already passed it took ~1 second to see that and pass me on through. Once finished, it prompted me to start MSE and download updates + run a quick scan.

Home screen and idle tray icon:
Home.pngMicrosoft Security Essentials (Morro) Beta
DefaultIcon.png

The checking+download+installation of updates took maybe 2 minutes,

Update screen:
Updating.pngMicrosoft Security Essentials (Morro) Beta

with the scan around 10 (I didn't watch the window, MSE allows you to even completely close the GUI and the scan will continue, as seen via the Notification Area icon). No threats found. :)

Scan screen:
Scanning.pngMicrosoft Security Essentials (Morro) Beta

I disabled ThreatFire and Spyware Terminator so that they wouldn't do anything and went off to do some work - I am also giving Google Chrome another shot at defeating Firefox (unlikely, but Chrome is fast... different topic, different time), so I used Windows Explorer to browse through my Downloads folder on my Server. I opened the "Programs" folder, sorted by "ILikeToMoveIt" (available here at the forum) and Explorer seemed to freeze in time. about 15 seconds later I got a scary message from MSE - it found 1.... no, 2 threats. Viruses in my downloads folder! :tellme: I opened up the Details pane to find it flagged 7-Zip Portable (from PortableApps.com) and my ATI Catalyst Drivers as threats. But wait, now 2 more are here! Another portable app installer, and my printer drivers! I told it to Allow all 4, and hit the button to "Apply Actions". Somehow ignoring 4 things takes a lengthy ~45 seconds, but it informed me that my system was again "Secure" and I closed the window. :-\

A few minutes later I got a MSN Messenger (the old school one that came with XP... yeah, that dinosaur) style popup from MSE - all I saw was a line of text and the green checkmark computer image from the MSE Status tab - I was typing and it was dismissed somehow :huh:

The settings page, although appearing at first glance to be tweak-mania, will disappoint most everyone above a casual user (pretty much everyone here at DC). You get the basic run of the mill options, and Microsoft's SpyNet option (that you are UNABLE to opt-out of, and MAY send personally identification information to - however it supposedly won't be used for purposes other than MSE and Defender :-\).

Settings pages:
Options1.pngMicrosoft Security Essentials (Morro) Beta
Options2.pngMicrosoft Security Essentials (Morro) Beta
Options3.pngMicrosoft Security Essentials (Morro) Beta
Options4.pngMicrosoft Security Essentials (Morro) Beta
Options5.pngMicrosoft Security Essentials (Morro) Beta
Options6.pngMicrosoft Security Essentials (Morro) Beta
Options7.pngMicrosoft Security Essentials (Morro) Beta
Options8.pngMicrosoft Security Essentials (Morro) Beta

A scheduler and history of what you have Quarantined and Allowed recently are also available in the GUI,

History page (scheduler above, top Settings page screenshot):
History.pngMicrosoft Security Essentials (Morro) Beta

but other than that you can't even exit the application (unless you use everyone's favorite key combo, C-A-D, and kill the process).

My opinion:

While it isn't great, it isn't as disappointing as I was expecting - false positives aren't automatically removed (ONLY because I changed the option before it found them, OTHERWISE it would have removed them permanently, so take note of that! :tellme:) and it gives you a nice little window when it finds something. The GUI, while basic, keeps it just right for always-on protection and the occasional scan.

Anyone else have MSE? Have an opinion? If you would like the installer, send a PM my way and I'll get you a link (or some googling may work, but Microsoft may be tearing it down from 3rd party download sites already).

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Microsoft Security Essentials (Morro) Beta
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 11:09 AM »
I downloaded MSE, but I've been debating on whether or not to install it. I got my installer from Softpedia so if someone wants/needs MSE that's where I'd look first.

The mandatory SpyNet participation while disappointing is understandable. Microsoft needs as much information about this beta as possible and mandatory participation is the only way to ensure that. The sending of personally identifiable information is more of a concern though. They should have been able to find a way to anonymize everything.

The false positives that hit you fly in the face of everything that has been circulating on the web regarding this beta. Every source I have read said that MSE was very good about not encountering any false positives. Well, ha!

Thanks for your views on this. It's tipped my debating over the edge & I think I'm going to decide not to install this beta. I'll wait till a later beta or the release and then re-evaluate.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 11:24 AM »
Thank you for posting your views -- very helpful  :up:

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 02:29 AM »
The Softpedia link is still working. You can't download from the Microsoft page.
http://www.softpedia...Download-131683.html

hth
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 02:34 AM »
rats! hit "Send" while I was still mucking about. Here's the Forum link if you're interested:
http://social.answer...s/en-US/category/mse
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

vitalyb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 12:09 PM »
Hi,

Do you mean MSE actually deleted your files? Did it have real false positives?

Anyway, I installed and it works great. Really pleased with it so far.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 02:15 PM »
Hi,

Do you mean MSE actually deleted your files? Did it have real false positives?

Anyway, I installed and it works great. Really pleased with it so far.

It almost did - it prompted me (as per settings) for action, but by default (because they were "Severe"), if I read the settings correctly, it WOULD have. So, no, but an average user that doesn't touch settings may lose files without a say in the matter. :tellme: The files are 100% safe and clean, just ATi GPU drivers and some programs for my flash drive :up: