topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 12:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Idea: Rename file about to be replaced by Copy/Paste  (Read 10708 times)

Gymratz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Idea: Rename file about to be replaced by Copy/Paste
« on: June 15, 2009, 04:35 PM »
This may exist, but I haven't found it...
I'm thinking that when I copy/paste a file from one location to another currently it only asks if I want to skip or overwrite.
A new item could be added to "Rename original file(s)."  Ideally this would accept wildcards so that you could either rename the entire file or just append to the end of it.

For example if I was to copy Test.txt and overwrite Test.txt, I would like to have it automatically change it to Test.txt.6.15.2009.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Idea: Rename file about to be replaced by Copy/Paste
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 04:44 PM »
Teracopy does this, as do various file managers.

Gymratz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 05:13 PM »
Thanks!  I'll give it a try.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 11:23 PM »
as do various file managers.
-cranioscopical (June 15, 2009, 04:44 PM)

My current favourite NexusFile does: and it's extremely helpful  :D

Gymratz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 10:36 AM »
I'll have to try Nexus - TeraCopy renames the NEW file, which is not my hope.  I want to rename the OLD file.  Preferably with a defined name and not a standard _1, _2, _3 (but that would work too).

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 11:34 PM »
I'll have to try Nexus - TeraCopy renames the NEW file, which is not my hope.  I want to rename the OLD file.  Preferably with a defined name and not a standard _1, _2, _3 (but that would work too).

Nexus renames the file being copied, not the file that exists.

But I've emailed the developer: so lets see what he thinks about adding the option  :P

Gymratz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 09:42 AM »
Yeah I found that also....  It is a cool program though.  I think "TeraCopy" is more what I was originally looking for - something that is very simple and latch on to the normal copy/paste.  But I could also work with Nexus and keep the two windows open that I always use on it.

I do some web app development internally for my company (asp.net/vb.net).  When I am ready to copy some files from test -> live environment, I like to rename the old file and keep a few versions in case something I change has... unexpected... consequences.  To do this I rename the old file and then copy over the new file.  This is both work for me, and gives 10 seconds or so when the page is unavailable.

I'm sure there is a better way for me to do this - but I'm trying to find a program that will work with my strange way of working ;-).

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 01:52 AM »
When I am ready to copy some files from test -> live environment, I like to rename the old file and keep a few versions in case something I change has... unexpected... consequences.  To do this I rename the old file and then copy over the new file.

SuperCopier will give you the option to rename the old file.  The default is to ask you what to do but you can change that to always replace, rename, etc.

thefritz_j

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 04:41 PM »
I've written I've put together a small tool that that adds a menu called "Rename-Mod date" to the windows right click context menu for files.  When selected, it changes the name to include the date and time the file was last modified at the end.  I use this every day and found it quite useful - has solved my "what to name the existing file to" problem!

rename_enhancer.zip

Read the instructions.txt file.  (sorry there is only one reg file to run  :-[)

Note: I didn't write the original vbs file that is used in this.  I modified something I found on the net.  Sorry I can't remember where it is from.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 06:11 PM by thefritz_j »