topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: GUI enhanced start up delayer  (Read 12020 times)

GSz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: GUI enhanced start up delayer
« on: June 03, 2009, 09:12 AM »
I've had this idea since DOS had the option to provide a delayed startup of it's config.sys and autoexec.bat files via a keyboard click.

And ever since I found Startup Delayer from r2 studios I've been using it, and it's great.
The editing GUI is actually fantastic, although some tweaks would be even better, bet overall it's fantastic, and cover everything needed.

But....
The startup launching GUI is a bit too simplistic, and could be enhanced with a simple functionally which is currently missing:

A better handling of the startup process, namely:
- provide an expand button that will display the current list of delayed application which are scheduled to run.
- provide check-boxes near each item, allowing on-the-fly disabling/enabling of startup apps.
- [next step] drop down list of predefined "startup sets" which have different sets of applications enabled.

adding these to the startup delayer starter GUI would improve my life tenfold.

NOTE: The code snack should only implement the Startup launcher GUI and not the editor GUI - it currently works pretty well.
So the new code snack should read the settings from r2 Studio's Startup Delayer ini files. (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\r2 Studios\Startup Delayer\ and the user folder too)

Hope you get interested enough to check out the software and to improve it, if you find the challenge in par to you skills.

Thanks for this great site, and to you - great people.
Truly Yours
Gal Szkolnik
- Sincerely
    Lockszmith

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: GUI enhanced start up delayer
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 10:25 AM »
I've had this idea since DOS had the option to provide a delayed startup of it's config.sys and autoexec.bat files via a keyboard click.

And ever since I found Startup Delayer from r2 studios I've been using it, and it's great.
The editing GUI is actually fantastic, although some tweaks would be even better, bet overall it's fantastic, and cover everything needed.

But....
The startup launching GUI is a bit too simplistic, and could be enhanced with a simple functionally which is currently missing:

Gal, have you approached the original author of this app?  That might be the easiest way to get your ideas implemented.

GSz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 10:48 AM »
Although a long time ago, I did, but never got a reply - I'll try again anyway, maybe even get the guy interested in this site (now that's a good idea :-) )

I'll post an update once I get / don't get any replies.
- Sincerely
    Lockszmith
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 01:13 AM by GSz »

GSz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 01:14 AM »
Nothing yet from the original developer - any of you guys want to have a look?
- Sincerely
    Lockszmith

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 03:09 AM »
I'm using Startup Delayer for a long time and it perfectly saved me from many troubles. I'm missing just one thing--inserting an item, i.e.., shifting all entries from some point at once.

- provide check-boxes near each item, allowing on-the-fly disabling/enabling of startup apps.

Are we using the same version 2.5.138? The check-boxes are already there, exactly as you want them!

GSz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 12:57 PM »
Are we using the same version 2.5.138? The check-boxes are already there, exactly as you want them!

I'm using the latest version (always have). And the check boxes that are there, are for disabling or enabling the apps on a permanent basis, and in the editing GUI only.

What I'm suggesting is more control when the application are starting up. It will give you last-minute intervention when the startup has begun.

The idea is to provide the same functionality with an aditional button that extends the GUI for last minute control of the application startup list - instead of the one-by-one control.

I really hope someone would get interested enough.

Anyway it's always a pleasure enjoying the fruits of this site
- Sincerely
    Lockszmith

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 01:12 PM »
What I'm suggesting is more control when the application are starting up. It will give you last-minute intervention when the startup has begun.

I didn't get it, sorry. Anyway, the last-minute intervention using the Graphical Launch Type is not sufficient? I'm using it all the time.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 02:46 PM »
- yes, so am I. But I *expect* the expressed need is to immediate add those program you disabled some previous time the editor was open. This you cannot do, for now, until the ongoing startup procedure had ended.

GSz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 02:52 PM »

I didn't get it, sorry. Anyway, the last-minute intervention using the Graphical Launch Type is not sufficient? I'm using it all the time.

It's actually great, since it's the best there is now.
I'm suggesting something different (not necessarily better), it's for the control freak types, that like to have more control over each process.
What I'm suggesting is a hybrid of the existing method, which will still be available - and another more fine-grained control that let's you decide during the startup what's going to happen - but with a "zoom out" view instead of a micro view of each step in the startup process.

- yes, so am I. But I *expect* the expressed need is to immediate add those program you disabled some previous time the editor was open. This you cannot do, for now, until the ongoing startup procedure had ended.
That's a great idea that was implied by what I described, but you put the idea out there, thanks.

Thanks for the dialog/debate, this helps define the idea better.

Truly Yours
Gal
- Sincerely
    Lockszmith

gpetrant

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 08:19 PM »
Sounds like Chameleon Start Up Manager is exactly what you're looking for:  http://www.chameleon...ows-startup-manager/

I think the DC discount for it is still valid:  https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=10381.0

I'm a true blue fan of Startup Delayer also.  The single feature I'd like to see implemented: automatic calculation of item delay time and implementation.  I hate having to use calculator to multiply the number of items by the delay time spacing (usually 4 seconds), and entering it into the input box.  I'm pretty sure implementing this feature would be a cake walk for the developer(s).  It could easily be done within the input box code block, by adding a simple text box for the user defined delay time spacing, adding two variables, one for the item count (simple counting of enabled items) and one for the delay time spacing, then calculating and implementing each item's delay time.

Chameleon Start Up Manager does this and more.  Much more.  My preference, however, is for simplicity whenever possible.

Shywolf

CliffCawley

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 08:38 PM »
Hi all,

I'm the author of Startup Delayer. Thanks for the suggestions, I will be looking at implementing them in a future version of Startup Delayer.

I am currently working on Startup Delayer 3.0 which will have a much more intuitive way to delay the applications that no longer requires you to enter arbitrary times that may or may not apply. I'm also adding a bunch more features which I couldn't previously do due to some language limitations in the previous version.

Keep an eye on www.r2.com.au for updates.

Also, in order for me to keep track of any future request, feel free to email me from the r2 Studios contact page.

Cliff :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 08:50 PM »
Welcome to the site, Cliff! Great to see you stop by.  :up:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 08:57 PM »
Welcome to the site, Cliff! Great to see you stop by.  :up:
Agreed.  I'm sure your presence and news about v3.0 will make the OP very happy.  =]

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 01:31 PM »
I am currently working on Startup Delayer 3.0 which will have a much more intuitive way to delay the applications

sounds great :up:
Tom