topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:33 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Possible Large Directory Opus Discount  (Read 42653 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Possible Large Directory Opus Discount
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2006, 04:47 AM »
I have a question too ...

Windows Explorer allows you to view in groups - how can you get DO to do this (eg. all folders together, all TXT files together etc)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2006, 05:57 AM »
are you talking about sorting by extension? just click on extension column header?

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2006, 05:59 AM »
But in explorer you can have an icon display (which I prefer for general use - aging eyesight) which can group items alphapetically, by type, by size, by date etc. in separate sections each with a header. I find it quite a neat layout but I can't find an equivalent in DO.

peteg05

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2006, 07:05 AM »
Hello and Happy New Year to all.

superboyac, I'm a new user of DO and a longtime user of Total Commander. I would appreciate any help and it would be great if you could show me how you did your TotalC-Layout.

Thanks

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2006, 12:29 AM »
I have a quick question: I have a layout that I would like to be opened every time I open DO, no matter if I press WIN+E, double click the desktop, open with the tray icon, or with a shortcut. How do I use the same layout for everything?

I'm not sure about this one.  I've made a few suggestions about Dopus' saved layout functionality already, I'm not sure when/if they'll implement any of them.  I don't think what you are asking for is possible yet.  I've made a related request that when I do open a saved layout, and then change directories, sorting methods, etc, that when I eventually close that layout, then all of those little changes are automatically saved so that the next time I open that layout, it comes back to where I left it.  Currently, any time you open a saved layout, it opens to wherever that layout was first saved on.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2006, 12:33 AM »
Hello and Happy New Year to all.

superboyac, I'm a new user of DO and a longtime user of Total Commander. I would appreciate any help and it would be great if you could show me how you did your TotalC-Layout.

Thanks

Sure, no problem, I can help you set it up like TC.  I can't do it right now since I am in a rush, but let me show you what it looks like, just for you to have an idea.  I have a screenshot of it in the following thread:

http://resource.dopu...?t=1459&start=15

Basically, what you have to learn is how to make a saved layout, and how to make custom toolbars.  The rest of it is fiddling with it a little.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2006, 06:17 PM »
Hi Carol,

Is this what you're looking for in DOpus? (Or have I misunderstood? It's happened before...). I'm attempting to attach a png file but preview isn't telling me if it's going to work or not. So, fingers crossed...

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2006, 07:01 PM »
No it's like this:

display.png

which is produced for normal folder displays too in Explorer (you can specify how the categories are setup - this is TYPE but you can also choose FILENAME, in which case you get sections labelled A, B, C etc, or you can specify DATE MODIFIED, in which case you get Today, Yesterday, Last Week, Older).

Ironically this image was produced in DO and is identical to the display shown in Explorer at the Drive level, but it doesn't work in DO when you go into folder level.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2006, 02:53 AM »
that has got to be the greatest number of drives i've seen on one machine, Carol.

cool.

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2006, 05:06 AM »
Yeah, good lord that's a lot of partitions!

The kind of sorting Carol is talking about is one of the few "new" features of XP that I wish I had with 2000. Another one is the "snap to grid" thing for icons on the desktop.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2006, 01:50 PM »
superboyac,
Keep the faith in the authors when making suggestions for improvements. I'm the guy responsibile for DO supporting descript.ion files. When version 6.x.x.x came out and DO supported their one proprietary implementation of filenotes I emailed the author suggesting that it'd be infinitely more useful if they supported the industry standard descript.ion files. They had never heard of such & after a few emails exchanged with Dr. Greg Whatshisname (Sorry, can't remember his surname) listing out some of the many programs that supported the file format & a pointer to the inventer of the file format JPSoft's web pages documenting the file structure Dr. Greg wrote me back and said they'd look into including it into DO.

Fast forward many months later when DO v8 was released & voila...descript.ion functionality was included. I thought this was pretty impressive since the first sentence in my first email to the authors stated specifically that I was just a trial user & not a customer.

Oh, and good job on the cloning of Total Commander's interface! If DO could handle archive formats as transparently as TC does I'd seriously consider switching.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2006, 12:14 AM »
Hi Carol, I see what you mean... I've always liked that display too. However, I've never made much use of Windows Explorer in XP, having purchased DOpus while I was still running Win2k, and was unaware that that you could display anything other than "my computer" this way. I'll try to find out about this on the users forum and will get back to you here.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2006, 03:27 AM »
that has got to be the greatest number of drives i've seen on one machine, Carol.

cool.

We aim to impress ;)

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2006, 03:28 AM »
Hi Carol, I see what you mean... I've always liked that display too. However, I've never made much use of Windows Explorer in XP, having purchased DOpus while I was still running Win2k, and was unaware that that you could display anything other than "my computer" this way. I'll try to find out about this on the users forum and will get back to you here.

Thanks

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2006, 09:40 AM »
OK, here's what we have so far. The developer has responded http://resource.dopus.com/viewtopic.php?p=6745#6745 to say that this isn't an option currently but is in the works for a future version. One of the moderators also responded to Hirudin's question about Win-E and asked that I pass on his remarks:

"I noticed another question within the same thread. Please could you pass back my answer:

Quote:
I have a layout that I would like to be opened every time I open DO, no matter if I press WIN+E, double click the desktop, open with the tray icon, or with a shortcut. How do I use the same layout for everything?

If you go to Preferences / Double-Click / Desktop there are options which allow you to set the desktop double-click and the tray-icon double-click to open a specific layout.

To create a shortcut to a layout go to Preferences / Layout / Saved Layouts and drag the layout from the list to a directory.

That leaves the Win-E shortcut which you cannot change. Win-E always goes to My Computer by definition. This isn't an Opus thing but a Windows thing and, as far as I know, cannot be changed. I think if you try and override Win-E then it won't work (Windows gets to and swallows the keypress before anything else).

Opus does let you define other hotkeys which can be system-global (i.e. Opus doesn't have to be the active program when you press them) and which can open a layout or do whatever you want. If you go to Customize / Keys in Opus you'll see there's already a Win-O hotkey which opens a new lister (go new). You could change this, or add a different hotkey, to open a specific layout.

If the layout is called "moo" then the command to open it would be Prefs LAYOUT=moo"

Hope this helps clarify things for Carol and for Hirudin.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 10:21 AM by Darwin »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2006, 09:43 AM »
Thanks - nice to know they are working on it.

peteg05

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2006, 08:42 AM »
Sure, no problem, I can help you set it up like TC.  I can't do it right now since I am in a rush, but let me show you what it looks like, just for you to have an idea.  I have a screenshot of it in the following thread:

http://resource.dopu...?t=1459&start=15

Basically, what you have to learn is how to make a saved layout, and how to make custom toolbars.  The rest of it is fiddling with it a little.
superboyac,

sorry for my late answer, but I've had no internet access for the last two weeks.

Thank you for the link. It looks great and I will try to do the same with my DO. I'm still at the beginning to learn to use DO but your Tips are very helpful.   :)

Again thank you and all the best.