topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Newsletter for May 6th, 2009 - Codename "Here Comes Summer"  (Read 21672 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Newsletter for May 6th, 2009
Codename "Here Comes Summer"

1. Newsletter Editorial

Greetings all, and welcome to another edition of the DonationCoder.com newsletter.

After the March fundraiser my engine seemed to run low on fuel and I slowed down a bit in terms of working on my DC programs.. But something remarkable has been happening on the forum lately -- a few DC forum regulars have started writing utilities and mini-reviews like crazy and sharing them.  What a treat for all of us!  Be sure to check them out as you go through the newsletter -- and send them a little thank you or a few donation credits to let them know that you appreciate it.

If you are going to be anywhere near Germany at the end of May, you need to find a way to get down to the DC meetup in Berlin on May 31st at c-base, the very cool geek bar/club that dc members housetier and gjehle help run.  It's a very cool place, and most importantly we've sent ahead some very cool and very rare custom DonationCoder Cody Spaceship mugs that will be on hand to be given out to DC members who show up.  These are going to be collector's items one day so don't miss your chance to get one.  See the post below and let them know if you will be attending.

2. Your Participation Requested

We'd love to have your participation on the forum, no matter what your level of computer knowledge, or how long you've been a DC member.  The links below point to some good places to jump in and make your first post.

3. DC Site and Software Discussion

One of the fun things about hanging out on the forum is that we're always hearing ideas for new features to make it a better place. We may not have time to implement every idea, but we keep busy trying!

4. Coding Snacks

The Coding Snacks Section is where people can request small utilities to be coded while they wait - bespoke coding, if you will.  Since the last newsletter, we've had a *LOT* of new requests -- several forum members have been on fire lately!

5. Member Mini-reviews

The mini-review section of the forum is where people can post short reviews of programs that they have tried or that they use regularly.  We only require that the reviewers not be associated in any way with the program or company being reviewed.

6. Sites, Services, and Articles on the Web

DC members are very generous in sharing their cyber discoveries with us on the forum. See some recent findings below.

7. Software Giveaway for May 2009

For May we have 10 copies of Total Commander, the famous file explorer, to give away.  We'll probably give a bunch away to mini-review and coding snack authors, but we aren't 100% sure how to pick the winners yet, so drop by the forum often to find out.

8. Software Discussion

It's probably fair to say that the majority of the discussions on DonationCoder.com are about computer software.  Below are some interesting threads about software posted to DC since the last newsletter.

9. Fun and Games

If you've read the newsletter up to this point, take a break and check out some of the lighter fare from the forum - humour, videos, and games..

10. Developer's Corner

The title of this section is "Developer's Corner", not "Non-developers Stay Out!", so don't be put off by the title. There is probably something that will interest you here. It's more than just a forum for the discussion of software development, it's also where we discuss web design, entrepreneurial struggles, and general productivity issues.  And it's great to see that the section has been pretty active over the last few months -- keep it up people!

11. News You Can Use

DC Member Ehtyar writes wonderful weekly summaries of important tech/computer/security news articles that he comes across on the web.  A big hit on the forum.  How is he able to keep up this pace and when will he collapse from exhaustion? We are all aflutter waiting to find out..

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 05:31 AM by mouser »

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Newsletter for May 6th, 2009 - Codename "Here Comes Summer"
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 08:24 AM »
Little info about TC keys:
https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=18207

P.S. I hope mouser will stick it for next 24 days.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 09:04 AM »
How does one enter the giveaway prize draw?

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 09:24 AM »
2PhilB66
I don't know about "mouser's part" but for mine (5 keys): just write some review this month (by starting thread in Reviews section) :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 12:35 AM »
Two things i should have said in the newsletter:
Thank you to fenixproductions for arranging the awesome TC giveaway for us.  :up:
Thank you to Darwin for helping me with the newsletter preparation.  :up: