topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: 30 PC Games to Play Before You Die  (Read 32304 times)

exold

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Do nothing. Time is too precious to waste.
    • View Profile
    • Exold
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: 30 PC Games to Play Before You Die
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 12:57 PM »
I've played like 90% of the games on the list, which is kind of worrying to me, as I don't actually consider myself much of a gamer these days :huh:. I respect them for posting the list at all, because I'm sure that any list of thirty games would miss some significant contributions to the genre, because there have just plain been too many good games!
Having said that, I think they should've dropped a couple of the games on there for a few of the real "game-changing" games that were both immensely popular and set the stage for new advances in gaming:
  • Myst
  • Half-Life
  • Team Fortress
  • Warcraft and/or Starcraft
Also, maybe it doesn't belong on this list, but I'm with nafs: I sure had a great time playing Bard's Tale back in the day :D.
---
David A. P.
Ars Arboris -- Art of the Tree.

drum6789

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 07:55 PM »
Ive played like 7 or 8.  I do want to try System Shock 2

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 06:01 AM »
Dungeon Siege was really cool. Unfortunately never completed it in single player mode, since we took on MP rather early (damn it was buggy >_<) - but we had some very great moments playing it. Especially when we went into the Endless Dunes and found that hellish place it hid... much too early. Pretty scary being hunted round and round the pyramid by one of those wraiths, while the rest of the group tried getting a little damage done on it :)
- carpe noctem

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 08:58 AM »
I was quite sad that Space Siege got such bad reviews.  I just bought it for 9.99 out of memories of Dungeon Siege, hoping that this is one of those cases of a game I'll like that no one else does.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 02:09 PM »
I was quite sad that Space Siege got such bad reviews.  I just bought it for 9.99 out of memories of Dungeon Siege, hoping that this is one of those cases of a game I'll like that no one else does.

Let us know if it's any good.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2009, 10:26 PM »
Dungeon Siege a good game?!??!

6 Months after release Games drop in price tremendously in Holland...which is why I bought my copy of Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 (one box, 2 versions of the game) for the nice sum of 5 euro's from the bargain buckets in branches of toy store chains. After playing the complete first part (which was ridiculously easy) I couldn't be bothered to play part two any further than the beginning stage.

The game is way too forgiving towards the player and hands out treasure by the bucket. Too easy to get rich and be able to buy each time the best available armor and whatnot...if you didn't get it for free during the gathering of treasure. It's unfortunate, but this game was truly a waste of time and money.

Never Winter Nights 1 with all expansion sets (which I could buy for the nice sum of 20 euro's from a music store shelf) runs circles around Dungeon Siege. Better story, nicer graphics and puzzles that require the brain to actually work. Dungeon Siege did not do it for me at all, while I love Diablo 1 and 2. And I have an action figure of Diablo 2 to prove that  :)

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2009, 06:57 AM »
Dungeon Siege a good game?!??!

6 Months after release Games drop in price tremendously in Holland...which is why I bought my copy of Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 (one box, 2 versions of the game) for the nice sum of 5 euro's from the bargain buckets in branches of toy store chains. After playing the complete first part (which was ridiculously easy) I couldn't be bothered to play part two any further than the beginning stage.

The game is way too forgiving towards the player and hands out treasure by the bucket. Too easy to get rich and be able to buy each time the best available armor and whatnot...if you didn't get it for free during the gathering of treasure. It's unfortunate, but this game was truly a waste of time and money.

Never Winter Nights 1 with all expansion sets (which I could buy for the nice sum of 20 euro's from a music store shelf) runs circles around Dungeon Siege. Better story, nicer graphics and puzzles that require the brain to actually work. Dungeon Siege did not do it for me at all, while I love Diablo 1 and 2. And I have an action figure of Diablo 2 to prove that  :)
Different experiences, different tastes, they are a fact. I might not be a very good gamer, nevertheless I like doing it very much (although I don't have much time for it since I got kids, will hopefully get better again when they are a bit older :) ).

I remember I started Warcraft III twice and was stuck on one of the very first levels. I can only try a level so many times. Or Bioshock (5th rank on Metacritic). I stopped after only a couple of hours into the game because I didn't like it.

So Dungeon Siege was just about right for me :D

Proximo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Proximo Studios
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2009, 05:54 AM »
I played 11 of the 30 on that list.  The only problem with creating a list like this is simply that gamers have different taste.  No matter how good a game is, you will always find people that don't like it and vise versa.

What I think this article should have been called is.  "30 games I think you should try before you die" because it's simply the persons opinion.  Many gamers like certain Genre's in games and no matter how good a particular game can be, if you are not into that Genre, you will not enjoy it.

One example is Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.  I believe it's one of the best game I have played simply because of the replay value.  I also love the RPG Genre.   Now this does not mean that someone how does not care for RPG Genre would also enjoy this game as much as I do.

With that said.  Some good games on that list and some other games I would not have any interest in ever playing. 
"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent because they don't realize they can fly like Superman."

PC Gamer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • PC Game Reviews
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2009, 05:38 AM »
I have just checked them out a good list but of course the Best Games depend on people!

These Are MY TOP 3 from the list of 30!

I also wrote reviews about them!

Sid Meier’s Civilization IV http://www.pcgametre...com/civilization-iv/
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City http://www.pcgametre...heft-auto-vice-city/
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2 http://www.pcgametrek.com/red-alert-3/
Online PC Games Magazine : www.pcgametrek.com