topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: auto website loginer  (Read 18542 times)

cowcrombie

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
auto website loginer
« on: December 13, 2005, 05:25 AM »
OMG, i have this totally awsome idea!

Don't you hate it when you get to a website and have to login everytime you go to it??

Can someone come up with a program or a plugin for mozilla firefox, that just types everything in for you.

I know you can just select to if you push down and scroll thru 10 other logins.  but this would be so much help!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: auto website loginer
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 06:02 AM »
there are some very good password extensions already (many of us like the commercial one roboform) but i know there are free ones; anyone got a favorite?

cowcrombie

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 08:09 AM »
jjust went up to the morilla website and downloaded roboform, but itts not compatible with 1.5 -.- bleh, i guess i'll wait then. ooh, i'm so lazy XD

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 08:47 AM »
i was sceptical about using roboform for quite some time, preferring a free alternative. but i'm glad to say i finally saw the light and i've been using roboform for a few months now - it changes the way your browse the web - fantastic really.

worth the money, you'll always be adding new sites to it so it's never going to become redundant. wish i'd taken mouser's advice on using it sooner.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 09:13 AM »
jjust went up to the morilla website and downloaded roboform, but itts not compatible with 1.5 -.- bleh, i guess i'll wait then. ooh, i'm so lazy XD

I'm using RoboForm with Firefox 1.5 with no probs. Go to the RoboForm website and download the new Mozilla plugin.

skrommel

• Fastest code in the west
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • 1 Hour Software by skrommel
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 11:16 AM »
 :) RoboForm once was free, I use v4.6.8.

Skrommel

LuckMan212

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 02:32 AM »
yes, another (happy) RoboForm user here..... been using it since v2.x something... now paid for it and could never ever live without it...... soo many passwords such swiss cheesy brain...  :)

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 03:04 AM »
The main advantage of programs like RoboForm is that you have the ability to set obscure passwords on dozens of sites that you could never remember.

I have it set to generate maximum length passwords of maximum complexity by default. If a website complains I just alter the settings for that site. It does mean that the passwords are unguessable (at least manually), but nothing will stop dictionary attacks except for a three strikes and you are locked out type approach.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 04:03 AM »
I haven't tried Roboform, but took a quick look at the Roboform site a while back.  They seem to try so hard to entice you with add-on desirable doodads that you could easily spend $70.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 04:32 AM »
I don't see why? The program is less than $30. If you want any of the other products you have to specifically select them on the order form - but non of them are essential unless you actually want Palm / Pocket PC / USB sitck access (non are selected by default).

I paid for RoboForm Pro years ago and all updates (and there have been a lot) have been free ever since. In fact the program has been expanded and developed very actively over the last few years.

It also has the big advantage that it works with all Internet Explorer based browsers (eg. it works fine with Maxthon) and also all Mozilla/Netscape browers (including Firefox 1.5). It also works with Yahoo's Browser.

They are very responsive - like a few hours - by email too when you have queries or technical issues (not that there have been many).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 04:35 AM by Carol Haynes »

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 04:36 AM »
They also have a generous discount available for students and low-waged, which is easily accessible from the order page.  And once I used it for a few days, I came to rely on it entirely!  It's great - makes so many tasks so much easier.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 05:29 AM »
Why is Roboform so much better than the Saved Passwords system in Mozilla Firefox, or a freestanding thing like KeePass?

I still have lots of little-used ones stored in Passpack though I have to remember to switch ClipCache off before I use it.  KeePass avoids sending clips, and with Firefox they're irrelevant.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 06:02 AM »
Give it a try and you will see in less than 5 minutes ... honestly if you want password storage for websites I haven't found anything that comes even close for ease of use and features (and it has notes storage too - I use it for passwords for things like download music services that don't use stanrard webpages, such as iTunes).

One of the new features introduced recently is websearching from the browser toolbar - but it has the twist that you can add all and any search engines you fancy very easily - and can even search shops like amazon with a single click.

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 01:28 AM »
:) RoboForm once was free, I use v4.6.8.
Is that the last free version?
Do U know where it is available from?
It's not on this site: http://www.oldversion.com/

skrommel

• Fastest code in the west
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • 1 Hour Software by skrommel
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 01:55 AM »

alecjw

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2005, 04:20 PM »
But don't most websites store your username and password on your computer as a cookie?

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2005, 05:18 PM »
Yes but if you ever clean up your system you may well decide to delete the cookies and lose your logins, and if you have a system crash and have to reinstall you lose them. Add to that RoboForm gives you a way to manage them neatly amongst other things.

alecjw

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2005, 05:50 AM »
Going back to what I said about cookies, maybe you could make a program which quite simply backs up your cookies every week or so on to a CD or DVD or even just somewhere else more findable on the HDD.