topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: taming ink-jet printing and email download  (Read 6148 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
taming ink-jet printing and email download
« on: April 03, 2009, 03:48 PM »
Hi Folks,

Can Process Tamer help me with either of these ?

Ink-jet printing hogs the XP .. I could print to another PC on a network, to a laser or maybe a smart printer, the laser definitely helps.  Can I do anything when it is a local ink-jet ?  This may be tuff because it could be embedded in those nebulous OpSys functions.

Email download takes a lot of resources too (lots of email forum stuff, most of it totally unread)  .. can last a few minutes, I have it done every two hours.  So here is a multi-thread example .. Eudora is also used for composing mail, so when that is happening then a foreground priority bump comes to play (however I an avoid doing that during the download) .. overall I want the download to use the least resources possible, even if takes a bit longer.

Suggestions ?

Shalom,
Steven

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: taming ink-jet printing and email download
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 03:53 PM »
Are you saying you are using Process Tamer currently or you haven't installed it yet and are considering it?

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 05:17 AM »
Hi,

Use Process Tamer daily, for programs like Linkman where I may wait a couple of seconds on the search (high) and search programs that I may leave running in the background (low) and to kick up foreground processing.  Helps a lot, great program !  (Yes, I should of made that clear.)  I have not yet done a wide-range consideration of how it can help, reading the various threads .. however those two questions above are my daily occasional pesks that may be a challenge in taming.

Looking at the threads, the email one at least may be related to the issues discussed in the thread:
"Taming disk accesses"

Email is working hard with CPU, memory utilization and disk access and TCP/IP all at the same time.

Shalom,
Steven
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 05:25 AM by Steven Avery »

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 12:04 PM »
Hi,

Just a note that the key issue in the printer backlog is memory.  After I went to max XP memory the ink-jet printer can run separate from my normal stuff quite well, without holding me back. 

I haven't been able to tell about the email download, but the fact that I haven't been able to tell is an indication that the problem is also largely resolved by the memory.  Perhaps not as fully, I think there may be a CPU component there as well, but enough to make XP-life much easier and end any major concern.

I had gone up from 1 Gig to 5 Gigs, with XP using what it can (3.5 or 4).  Putting it in was a little squirrelly, but not too bad.  (The key thing was changing the seats so that the 2-gig sticks are in the primary #1 and #2 position, the white tags on the Dell, where the 512s were b4, and then putting the 512s -- largely superfluous but better in the puter than out -- in what were originally the empty slots.  Ok, a bit off-topic. :)   Kudos to Dell for making the side-panel absurdly easy to take off (no screws at all).  And giving help on the expired machine and having the memory at the best price.

Shalom,
Steven
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 12:12 PM by Steven Avery »