topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: March 2009 Survey Discussion  (Read 29321 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
March 2009 Survey Discussion
« on: March 28, 2009, 10:37 PM »
This thread is for discussion of the March 2009 Survey.

The survey link will be sent out in the next newsletter, but feel free to take it any time:
http://www.surveygiz...o.com/s/118920/hyyt4
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 10:56 PM by mouser »

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: March 2009 Survey Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 01:03 AM »
Done :)

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 08:03 AM »
It's quite long. But I guess it needs to be long to get "good data" to work with.

I forgot one improvement: quickpolls in the user bar (where my avatar and such is shown). It makes for quick and easy feedback.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 12:47 PM »
Filled it, thanx mouser

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 12:49 PM »
Just finished. I didn't have much to say, but I thought I didn't say it eloquently.  :D
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 02:01 PM »
Thanks everyone that is filling it out -- I know it's a bother but it really will help us all figure out where we should focus our energies in the coming year.
At the end of the month we will post the results.

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 03:44 PM »
You folks, just keep doing what you do.
Survey complete :D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 03:50 PM »
50+ surveys complete to far, and some great suggestions received -- can't wait to post some of the results  :up:

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 03:50 PM »
Mouser,

I've just filled out the survey - and typically for my slow-thinking self, I've come up with a couple of ideas I should have suggested only after I had submitted the survey. So here goes...

1. I'd like a section of the forum dedicated to programs that should be written (but life is too short and I can't write them all ;) ). I know about Coding Snacks, but I feel that section is meant for small requests that can reasonably be satisfied by one coder in a short span of time. What I have in mind here is a section dedicated to ideas that are either too complex or too vague for Coding Snacks; more of a brainstorming section to discuss software we'd like to see someday (preferably tomorrow!). I have a number of ideas like this, some relatively simple, others not so. Some of them I've tried and abandoned; others I wouldn't even know where to start. Still others are merely improvements to existing software. This could be nothing but a pie-in-the-sky, "Dream software" forum - but then again it could be a worthwhile repository of ideas for coders looking for inspiration.

2. Somewhat related to the above, perhaps a subsection of that, would be a place to post / discuss specific improvement ideass for specific pieces of software that's popular on DC - say, Total Commander, DOpus, UltraEdit, EditPad Pro, etc., there are of course many other DC favorites. Such threads often occur spontaneously, but there could be a place dedicated to them, where the makers of those applications could look, should they be interested, and respond. The section could be organized by software title or by domain (file managers, editors, etc). Perhaps this would be enforcing too much formality into a live, evolving forum, but I know I'd read a section like this all the time.

As an example: I know UltraEdit is very popular with many DC posters, and there are good reasons for that. Meanwhile, I find so much wrong with it, it's not even funny. If I wrote a review, it would be scathing negativity :) So I won't write a review - but I would use a section like the one I've just described to vent, constructively. Again, this could be useful to the developers of the titles in question, but also to all developers really, as a handy reference to what users like or dislike in popular software.

3. I mentioned in the survey that one of the major, major strong points here are the software reviews (and the discussions that follow). DC reviews are extremely informative, but what's even more important, they are reliable, because they are not sponsored in any way, and are written by those who actively use the software, rather than by paid reviewers afer 15 minutes of checking out a new package. There's plenty of other good stuff here, but I would love DC as much as I do if there were nothing here except for the reviews. So how about expanding this to hardware? Anything computer-related might still be within the scope of the site. Of course I'd love it to go even firther, into popular consumer electronics, though that might be stretching the DC concept - you be the judge. I just want to stress how important the reviews are to me, and that it might be worthwhile to expand on that virtue.

Besides that, DC is of course perfection incarnate!  :-*

ed: grammar :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 03:52 PM by tranglos »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 03:53 PM »
quick reply first:

I find so much wrong with it, it's not even funny. If I wrote a review, it would be scathing negativity smiley So I won't write a review
hey that seems like a good reason to write a review to me -- go for it!  i've come to believe that no one application is best for everyone and i think it's always helpful to hear different views -- a negative review can tell you a lot.

more thoughtful reply to the rest in a bit.. great comments and food for thought.. i don't think it's revealing too much to say that revitalizing the review section is a major aim this year..

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 09:05 PM »
  Did the survey.  Didn't have a bundle of suggestions, it's hard to improve on perfection....   ;)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 02:53 AM »
Done!  Whew - long one.

Tranglos, your point #3 is so true. All the polished, glowing reviews in the world mean nothing to me if the users here at DC indicate that a program is not worth using, and vice versa. That is one of the best features of DC IMO.

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 02:59 AM »
Hmm..  I should have added this to my last post. Sorry.

One thing I would love to see here at DC is tutorials for recommended software. For some of the software written by members here as well as for some of the more popular/recommended applications we read about here. I use FARR, but not many of its features at all - mostly just for program launching. I've read the Help pages over and over but mostly I don't get it. A tutorial by someone who really knows the in's and outs of FARR along with examples would be super IMO. Likewise with some of the popular apps. E.g., I would almost be willing to pay to read an extensive tutorial with step-by-step examples for SQLNotes/InfoQube or whatever its latest moniker is!! I use it very minimally now, mostly because I haven't the time to keep doing the trial and error workouts that I have done with it.

Thanks!

Jim

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 03:11 AM »
I do not believe it :o

The slide said, 11986, so I donated $14, and now it is showing a dollar short >:(

And I was going to be the one to do the 12000 :(

Damn :mad:

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 03:14 AM »
ok, now I am pissed :mad:

I even donated an extra buck >:(

Que Paso?

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 03:21 AM »
Damn tight wades at E-Bay :'(

Don't they know that this is not a good cause, but a great one! :P

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 05:07 AM »
One thing I would love to see here at DC is tutorials for recommended software.

What a great idea!!! Not sure the forum format is the most appropriate? Maybe a wiki?

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 06:56 AM »
I am very much in favor of reviving the reviews. Ours are the best, we should make more of them. Maybe we could review older reviews and update them for new versions of the software, or have little review-addons targeting just the updated program and look at what has changed...

DC is the place I turn my friends to when they need (to know) something I can't help them with.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 10:32 AM »
sgtevmckay  ;D
thank you.

Unfortunately for you, what i can reveal now is that an expert team of elite computer hackers formed from the top computer squads in india and china have been studying the donation coder donation system for the last 12 months in preparation for this fundraiser.  They knew what you didn't, that the reward for being the user to donate the last dollar to push us over the edge would win a 10 trillion dollar supercomputer and a big chocolate cake, courtesy of a loophole in the recent financial stimulus package passed by the US congress.  For one year they have been studying the paypal fee structure and donation probabilities of all members, including you.  As you have now discovered, you didn't stand a chance in hell against them, and your attempts to be the one to make the donation to get us passed $12k was futile and merely played into their hands.  I hope it is at least some small consolation that you never even stood a chance.  Had you attempted to make a larger donation i suspect you would not even have lived to push the enter button.  Anyway, better luck next time.

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 11:59 AM »
Done.
Congratulations on the Fundraiser! :Thmbsup:

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 04:32 PM »

SO point me in the right direction of A$$ to kick in order to get my spanky new super duper confuser :-\

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 05:53 AM »
I wonder, should I just post the complete results of the survey for public consumption?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 07:20 AM »
I wonder, should I just post the complete results of the survey for public consumption?
Depends on what you mean by the complete results -- the raw data or the tabulations.
In any case, I'd be inclined to post conclusions rather than data, unless you want community-wide conclusions which could become a little difficult to manage.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 07:47 AM »
sorry i mean the tabulations, ie for each question what the breakdown of answers were, and for each open ended question, the complete list of answers.  and of course no identifiable user info.

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 12:58 PM »
I think this goes back to the students afraid of asking  a question.

I think a list of the ideas is a good idea. Understand that maybe if folks see what others are thinking, maybe it will inspire other ideas.

There is always that student that asks the question, the others didn't, because they didn't know they needed to ask.
Or were afraid to.

Inspiration comes from all outlets

You wouldn't have to attach names or anything, only the results of the Q&A and any additional Ideas.

I must say in a personal note; that I didn't suggest much because I am still attempting to digest the extent of DC, but I am curious as all get-out as to how folks rang in on the Q&A.

I may also go a step further, and add a Q&A forum that would allow an expansion, in all the excitement, a suggestion or comment may have been missed.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 01:00 PM by sgtevmckay »