topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Can't Enter License Key  (Read 11500 times)

GoodGuy98

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can't Enter License Key
« on: February 25, 2009, 12:14 PM »
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling URL Snooper 2 Ver 2.22.02 several times and I can't get it to stay up long enough to enter the Help menu.

When it first started, it autodetected what appeared to be the correct device. I started the software again and it doesn't response when I click on the menu items. It hangs for a few seconds and proceeds to shutdown. It produces the license key message, but how can I enter it when it won't allow me into help?

I am attaching a screen capture.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can't Enter License Key
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 12:20 PM »
that's strange..  i don't know what could be making it crash.

try exiting and deleting the Settings.ini file in the program directory then restarting.
you might then try canceling automatic adapter detection and set it manually.

GoodGuy98

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 12:45 PM »
I don't see a file by that name in the C:\Program Files\URLSnooper2 folder or the subfolder C:\Program Files\URLSnooper2\workingdir.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 12:57 PM »
well you're right -- that means its not even got to the point where its saving the settings file.  very strange -- never heard of this problem before.

are you running the program under a user account that might not be able to write to the disk?

i wonder if you might try copying the UrlSnooper2 directory to a subfolder of your personal documents and try running it from there, just in case.

what kind of network adapter card do you have by the way?

GoodGuy98

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 01:29 PM »
I am running under an account with full Admin privileges. I install all software from this account which is probably a bad idea!

My network card is a Linksys LNE100TX(v5) Fast Ethernet Adapter.

The auto detect dialog showed it finding that. I am attaching a screenshot of that. Once I press OK, it allows me to hit the Help menu, then freezes up.

Just in case this matters, I am having trouble with the .NET framework. I contacted Microsoft XP Windows Update support, but they were unable to determine a solution. They suggested I go to .NET support, but I wasn't feeling well enough to write back and forth at the time.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 07:49 PM »
URLSnooper doesn't use .net stuff..
i see you have nlite installed.. i wonder if that might have something to do with it.. but i've never heard of this kind of problem.  did you try copying the folder to someplace under your documents folder and try running it from there? 

GoodGuy98

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 09:40 PM »
I just copied the folder C:\Program Files\URLSnooper2 to the My Documents folder and it did the same thing.

I am not sure if this helps you at all, but I started up Wireshark Version 1.0.6 and it appears to work properly. They both use the WinPcap software, so I thought it may help you in some way. I am attaching a screen capture of the Wireshark Capture Interfaces.

As soon as I click on the File or Help menu in URL Snooper 2, it stops responding and shuts down after a few moments.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 07:49 AM by GoodGuy98 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 06:58 PM »
ok these are useful clues.

You say:
As soon as I click on the File or Help menu in URL Snooper 2, it stops responding and shuts down after a few moments.

So am I understanding that the program will actually run fine if you do not try to access the menu?

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you rename the UrlSnooper.ntv.lng file so that it can't be found by the program (perhaps the problem is a with the language translation engine)?

GoodGuy98

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 10:04 PM »
I renamed it as you suggested and it produced a couple of error messages about localization. The program started up next and displayed the message showing Automatic Network Adapter Detector was successful and waits for me to hit OK. It also displays the blue note saying obtain a license key. I visit the site to get the message to disappear.
This time it displayed a single URL in the results area. The moment I went to the menus, it froze again. It remains that way for several seconds and then shuts down without any error messages. I also cleared all the data in the Event Virewer before running it again. When it shutdown again, I checked the Event Viewer and no records showed. I am not sure if they are buffered and only appear later, but I thought I'd try looking there.

I just started the application again and opened a few web pages without touching the menus. The status line is showing it scanned 887 packets of internet traffic, so it works until I access the menus apparently.

Just FYI I renamed the file back after it didn't change the results.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 10:07 PM »
ok so:
the hang and crash ONLY happens when you access menu?  if you don't access menu it will run find for a prolonged period?
does it matter which menu you open?

GoodGuy98

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 07:26 AM »
It seems to remain open until I access any menu item.I was attempting to enter the license key in order to stop the message. The same result occurs accessing the File menu though. The application ran long enough to capture 887 packets in the screen capture attached to my previous post. The moment I click on a menu item, it freezes up for a minute accepting no inputs and then just closes without any error message I could find.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 07:50 AM »
ok that's a huge clue.. i will look into it this weekend.

GoodGuy98

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 02:26 PM »
Ok Thanks alot.

GoodGuy98

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 02:25 PM »
I don't know if you did anything or I changed something on my end, but now it's working!

The only thing I can recall doing was uninstalling/reinstalling another freeware program called Yazak. It also requires installing the VB6 runtimes for itself. I also used DcUpdater and it showed I was running version 2.22.02 of URL Snooper and the web had version 2.22.01. I allowed DcUpdater to install the web version, but it still shows I am running Version 2.22.02.

Thank you for your help.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 02:27 PM »
Interesting.. maybe it was interaction with something else.. if it comes back let me know.