topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: the block me (when you are your own worst enemy)  (Read 10325 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: the block me (when you are your own worst enemy)
« on: February 04, 2009, 09:51 AM »
i believe this program would help a lot of procrastinators out there (providing they didn't just find something else to procrastinate about). so, it might be something for this years DC GTD experiment.

the idea is that the util would block you from running certain programs, opening certain files and browsing certain web pages - at certain times of the day that you set.

aha, you say, but i could just turn the util off and then i could gain access to everything that is blocked - so it's useless. which is correct.

the crucial part with this new util is that it is password controlled AND YOU DON'T KNOW THE PASSWORD. instead, you let someone you can trust put the password in for you, and they keep it a secret. any changes you need to make to this blocker util requires you asking the password keeper friend (or relative) to enable the program for you.

if it's a family member (or local friend) they just tap in the password on your keyboard. if it's someone you know online they either enter the password via a remote desktop like connection, OR perhaps send an encrypted file that either acts as a key to unlock the blocker util for a limited period of time, or it contains information to actually make the changes to the blocker util for you.

think of it like the buddy system that's used with other people that have addictions - this is just the computerised version of that.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: the block me (when you are your own worst enemy)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 10:13 AM »
2nudone
Nice idea but the only thing I can think about is... rootkit. Really.

You can't make it standard application because Ctrl+Alt+Del will allow you to kill it. Not service because you can stop running services. You can also uninstall driver, if it comes in such form.

I've seen in the past a system driver which encrypts specified executable files (you need pswd for encrypting in memory) but it can be troublesome for antivirus software and there is always possibility of replacing "invalid" EXE with proper one (not to mention that some software might check its CRC for anti-piracy purposes).

Of course: everything above apply if you have an administrator account. Skilled person can switch off almost any protection. That is why "rootkit" is the only answer.

PS. Well, you can always install problematic software on TrueCrypt partition.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 10:25 AM »
okay, i've had some more ideas for it. (thanks, fenixproductions.)

another method would to be use a remote desktop connection. the remote viewer checks in on your screen at regular intervals and if they see a program or webpage that shouldn't be open (that you've already agreed not to use at specific times) they have the ability to close it.

just like using a personal trainer in the 'real' world. you could even pay for the service. a 'remote monitor person' could be viewing several desktops at a time - thereby keeping the costs down for each individual paying for the service.

if the 'trainee' simply decided not to turn the remote desktop application on then they still have to pay for the service - again, just like in the 'real' world if you hire a personal trainer.

another method:

the util on your machine monitors what programs you are running and sends this information to your 'buddy'. your 'buddy' can send a 'kill program' message to kill any of the programs you agreed not to run (include specific webpages and things in there too).

i suppose no one is ever going to take any of it seriously when they can just find a way to exit the program - so there should be an agreement to pay for services involved. spending money will give the 'trainee' more of an incentive not to abuse the system and just get on with it.

i've no answers to rootkits, etc.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 10:28 AM by nudone »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 10:44 AM »
nice idea nudone (could do with something like that at times - we could start a dc support group lol)

You can't make it standard application because Ctrl+Alt+Del will allow you to kill it. Not service because you can stop running services. You can also uninstall driver, if it comes in such form.
-fenixproductions (February 04, 2009, 10:13 AM)
I could see myself closing it down all right,
or stopping a service - but I wouldnt go as far as uninstalling something if I'd gone to so much trouble setting it up etc.

Re money, while I agree if you pay for something it gives you incentive to respect it I can't see a usable structure - I mean I wouldnt trust someone I dont know and I'd feel funny paying someone I do!
Tom

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 01:28 PM »
I work from home most of the time nowadays, and I have a similar service to this already which has proven to be extremely effective.

It's called "my wife"

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 01:33 PM »
It's called "my wife"
(Obvious question) Where did you subscribe to that service? Is there a monthly fee? :P

(just kidding ;) )

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 01:40 PM »
so, the question is, how do i get your wife to provide the same service for me? (or even how do you get your wife to provide the same service for me?)

edit:
whoops, just reailsed that's the same as jgpaiva's question - i guess we all need to know.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 01:42 PM by nudone »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 01:43 PM »
Get her your phone number and credit card.  :Thmbsup:

Although she'd be happy to help - she's a huge Cody / Twiggles / Cobbe fan and the thought of any of your work drying up would be enough incentive for her. It's just the commute that presents a problem.

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 03:18 PM »
just like using a personal trainer in the 'real' world. you could even pay for the service. a 'remote monitor person' could be viewing several desktops at a time - thereby keeping the costs down for each individual paying for the service.

if the 'trainee' simply decided not to turn the remote desktop application on then they still have to pay for the service - again, just like in the 'real' world if you hire a personal trainer.

How about small monthly fee for the monitoring service, PLUS a pay-per-use fee whenever the service needs to stop any of your processes!  ;D
-Sarah

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 07:44 PM »
I work from home most of the time nowadays, and I have a similar service to this already which has proven to be extremely effective.

It's called "my wife"

Heh. I was going to suggest calling it MILB for Mother In Law Browser.  As soon as you try to go on a forbidden page, a video pops up with MIL giving the usual diatribe. :)