topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Cool animated history of the Internet short film  (Read 5339 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Cool animated history of the Internet short film
« on: January 28, 2009, 03:27 AM »
History of the Internet is an animated documentary explaining the inventions from time-sharing to filesharing, from Arpanet to Internet. Worth five minutes.

history-internet1957.jpg

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Cool animated history of the Internet short film
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 03:55 AM »
Nice find! Especially the comments underneath. Very informative.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 07:51 AM »
An interesting animation, but it is so elementary and superficial as to be potentially grossly misleading. As it skips along the timeline, it omits mention of great chunks of historical fact, giving the  impression that those missed events might never have happened. In at least one case, I suspect that it may even be wrong, where it refers to the invention of the layered protocol by the OSI or something. From memory, I think IBM's SNA (Systems Network Architecture) was the invention - of a 7 or so-layer protocol.

The graphics are good, and the music is very good. I followed the link to the music site for telekaster (http://www.pjtv.com/...page&page-id=102).

This animation could be compared to someone with minimal knowledge starting a topic on Wikipedia. It will take a while for people with knowledge to update the thing and flesh it out, except that will never happen with an animated film - so it will be forever wrong.

By the way, the Wikipedia history of the intranet is here:
http://en.wikipedia....#Before_the_Internet

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 09:13 PM »
That's true IainB but that's what the comments underneath added.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 03:21 AM »
Well Paul, I never laid claim to any originality of thought in what I wrote in my post here. All sheep tend to think the same. :D
I just thought I'd mention what I did. Sorry, it won't happen again, I promise.

I must admit that I got bored with reading the comments under the post of that animation anyway, and there's doubtful knowledge to be gained in such discussions, since opinions tend to prevail. So, I  went off to see what Wikipedia said on the matter and posted the URL on this site. There was a good point made about Compuserve too, in the comments. I don't think the Wikipedia item mentioned IBM's SNA. I recall that EDS used to have a superb overview of the WWW/Intranet

By the way, I listened online to telekaster's "pyramid", and captured it with Audacity. Getting the right volume threshold for that music is a bit tricky though - I am still learning to use Audacity.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 03:42 AM »
No, no, I didn't meant for that to come off in a derogatory tone.  ;D

I was just pointing out that the comments underneath added to the information just as your comment about the video and link to wikipedia was helpful to the topic.

Believe me I don't know about the history of the internet much and even I felt that the video was over-simplified and had I been a little less dilligent in skimming the comments, I would have had the same conclusion as you.