topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows editors - do they have to be so bad?  (Read 87549 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows editors - do they have to be so bad?
« on: January 16, 2009, 08:32 AM »
I've just been looking at a few more Windows editors.  Originally, I was looking for these features:

• Automatic back-ups
  • Bookmarks
  • Edit multiple files (tabbed interface?)
  • Ability to specify filters as external user tools (most seem to unable to cope with redirection symbols)

I looked at (freeware) Metapad, TED Notepad (great little editor), Crimson Editor (nice), PSPad, Notetab Light, PFE, Editor2, ConTEXT, and briefly at (payware) Boxer.  I have a copy of Notepad++ to try.  I'd be interested in further recommendations, but (correct me if I'm wrong) none of those I've seen so far seemed to have all the features I wanted.  Worse, another very serious lack became obvious: the Windows-Notepad idea of marking text is a feeble, crippled thing.  In almost all the Windows editors I've seen, you have to use the mouse, or Shift-arrow keys, to mark text.  If you press almost any other key, you lose the marked area and have to start again.  That means that if you want to mark a long piece of text, you have to keep tediously scrolling down and just hope you don't overshoot your target.

Compare this with WordStar-style editors.  You drop a Start Block marker with Control-K,B (^KB).  You can use ^QF Find to locate a target point, or ^QM/^Q1 to go to a bookmark - and the Start Block marker is unaffected while you do so.  When you've marked what you want, you drop an End Block marker with ^KK and the block is locked as a unit.  You can still whizz around the file without affecting your marked area.  It only becomes unmarked when you make a deliberate action to unmark it.  That's a far more efficient way than Notepad-style for handling text.  True, I believe Boxer and TED Notepad both have limited work-arounds, but not as good.

Do Windows editors really have to be so bad?  So much worse than my favourite WordStar-style DOS editor, VDE, at handling text?

Of course, WordStar is One True True Way for writers: here's author Robert Sawyer's manifesto on the subject.

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows editors - do they have to be so bad?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 09:02 AM »
maybe gvim is something for you. It keeps backups, it has a bookmark feature (line such-and-such in that file), lets you edit many files, has tabs, and you can filter a file or a selection or even a range of lines through any external program.

Vim and therefore gvim are free of charge. It comes with extended inline documentation about its features.

However, vim works in different modes: input mode and normal mode for example. This concept takes a little time getting used to; I think it works marvelous. :)

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 09:55 AM »
You might look at UltraEdit.  I haven't used the feature, but "persistent selection" is available.  UE also handles multiple files and has bookmarks, a tabbed interface, backup options, user tools, and scripting.

http://www.idmcomp.com

Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 11:16 AM »
It would be easy making a plugin for Notepad++ that has a limited version of your desired selection-mode: dropping a start-marker would provide no visual clue of your selection range, and once an end-marker is placed you'd be back to the usual "Any other keypress loses selection". If NP++ has the other features you need and you can live with this limited thing, let me know and I'll take a look at plugin creation.
- carpe noctem

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 11:49 AM »
You could try EditPad too at http://www.editpadpro.com/

There is also a free lite version (see the link at the bottom of the left hand menu)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 02:59 PM »
Take a look at SlickEdit.

http://www.slickedit.com/

Not cheap ($299), but several heavy-duty pro coders of my acquaintance swear by it. Supposedly, there's nothing it can't do.

There's a 30-day trial available on the website.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 03:13 PM »
Don't know if it does all you want, but EditPadPro has a block select feature, where you press Ctrl+Shift+B to set a "start point" for your selection, then go to the end of wherever you want to select, press Ctrl+Shift+E and voilĂ : selected! It's not exactly what you were looking for, I realize, but at least you don't need to do all the scrolling.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 06:50 PM »
I wonder why some people are so obsessed with SlickEdit... it basically falls flat between a text editor and an IDE, not really knowing what it wants to be. It's too bloated for a text editor, and lacks the functionality you'd expect of a decent IDE. The pricetag certainly can't be justified when there's freeware editors like Notepad++, IDEs like Eclipse, and the free Microsoft Visual Studio Express...

- carpe noctem

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 09:39 PM »
My friend, a die hard C/C++ developer recently moved from Borland C Builder 6 to their 2007 version. In the mean time he build a complete back-end software for member based banks (cooperativas) here in South America using Java and Eclipse. According to him most (if not all) IDE's may not even kiss the feet from Eclipse so to speak. Not even the 2007 version of Borlands product. He also concluded that .Net = .Not

Disclaimer: I'm no programmer, nor have I the desire to become one. From personal experience, it is quite intimidating (in a positive way) what power lies in Eclipse and its possibilities for expansion.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 10:46 PM »
Word processors and most text editors today work on a stream buffer principle - a single stream of text is interpreted and reformatted into lines on-screen. But there is another approach with roots in the IBM mainframe world: line-oriented editors in which each line of text is a separate record in a linked list. Line-oriented editors have certain limitations which make them unsuitable for some purposes (e.g., searching for multiline patterns) but they have many other benefits.

The best line-oriented editor for PCs is probably Kedit for Windows, an emulation of IBM's XEDIT mainframe editing environment. It's not likely to be anyone's only editor, but it provides capabilities unmatched by any other that I know of. One thing that I love about KfW is the selective editing: You can specify a target pattern and view only those lines that contain that pattern; you can then edit them as a block or toggle back and forth instantly between full and restricted views. You can also restrict edits to within vertical columns or inside rectangular blocks, overlay and fill blocks, etc.  Persistent blocks are independent of selected text so you can use both at the same time. KfWt operates entirely in RAM and is exceptionally fast.

KfW has all the capabilities asked for by the OP, although for the ability to use filters as external user tools, you would have to learn to use REXX, which is probably the least intuitive scripting language ever devised.

The Mansfield Software Group, which publishes Kedit, had planned to cease operations last year, but there apparently is still enough demand for it that they have decided to continue selling and supporting it through 2009.  KfW costs $129. You can get a demo version from their web site which is fully functional but will only save the first 75 lines of a file.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 03:41 AM »
According to him most (if not all) IDE's may not even kiss the feet from Eclipse so to speak.
Eclipse is a very decent IDE, especially considering that it's free. Saying that other IDEs can't "kiss it's feet" is a bit of a stretch though, Visual Studio is very powerful. However, it does by default lack the refactorings that Eclipse offer, for which you'll have to purchase Visual Assist (next version of VS is apparently going to have refactorings, though). Also, things seem to be a bit less integrated and a bit more clumsy when using Eclipse for C++ development compared to the ease of Java.

Not even the 2007 version of Borlands product. He also concluded that .Net = .Not
Seems interesting that he uses Java but says ".Net = .Not"... what does he base that on? Java definitely has it's problems (like, parts of it's class libraries having horrible design - date/calendar functions being a really obvious WTF).
- carpe noctem

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 09:52 AM »
The best line-oriented editor for PCs is probably Kedit for Windows, an emulation of IBM's XEDIT mainframe editing environment. It's not likely to be anyone's only editor, but it provides capabilities unmatched by any other that I know of.

+!  for Kedit  :Thmbsup:

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 12:17 PM »
[off-topic]
Hehe, I do remember him complaining about the date functions at some point in time. C/C++ you can develop on any platform, Java as well, .NET only on Windows (Mono is a 'band aid' in its current incarnations).

He can really go on (in a funny way) about which student is getting a chance to work/learn for his outfit. From those stories I understand that he poses little problems to them and asks for (programmatic) solutions and that he can (too) easily dig holes through solutions made by ('fresh') .NET programmers.
[/off-topic]

+1 for UltraEdit

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 01:32 PM »
I wonder why some people are so obsessed with SlickEdit...

Couldn't tell you. I use Notepad++ on Windows and KEdit on NIX. :Thmbsup:

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 02:00 PM »
Hehe, I do remember him complaining about the date functions at some point in time. C/C++ you can develop on any platform, Java as well, .NET only on Windows (Mono is a 'band aid' in its current incarnations).
There's some truth to that - but from the project page, it seems like Mono has gotten quite far. And while Java is available for a lot of platforms, it isn't write-once-run-everywhere portable, unfortunately. Especially not in the field of cellular phone apps/games :)

He can really go on (in a funny way) about which student is getting a chance to work/learn for his outfit. From those stories I understand that he poses little problems to them and asks for (programmatic) solutions and that he can (too) easily dig holes through solutions made by ('fresh') .NET programmers.
Sounds pretty elitist. As if any fresh-outta-school programmer doesn't have a lot of holes in their knowledge/experience... your friend probably tries extra hard against dotNET programmers? :)
- carpe noctem

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 01:50 PM »
Don't know if it does all you want, but EditPadPro has a block select feature, where you press Ctrl+Shift+B to set a "start point" for your selection, then go to the end of wherever you want to select, press Ctrl+Shift+E and voilĂ : selected! It's not exactly what you were looking for, I realize, but at least you don't need to do all the scrolling.
Actually, EditPadPro has something called "persistent selections" which means you can select something and don't lose selection when moving the text cursor.

Guess I still have a lot to learn about this text editor :-[

muntealb

• Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 03:37 AM »
I've just been looking at a few more Windows editors. 
I looked at (freeware) Metapad, TED Notepad (great little editor), Crimson Editor (nice), PSPad, Notetab Light, PFE, Editor2, ConTEXT, and briefly at (payware) Boxer. 
Compare this with WordStar-style editors.  You drop a Start Block marker with Control-K,B (^KB).  You can use ^QF Find to locate a target point, or ^QM/^Q1 to go to a bookmark - and the Start Block marker is unaffected while you do so.  When you've marked what you want, you drop an End Block marker with ^KK and the block is locked as a unit.  You can still whizz around the file without affecting your marked area.  It only becomes unmarked when you make a deliberate action to unmark it.  That's a far more efficient way than Notepad-style for handling text.  True, I believe Boxer and TED Notepad both have limited work-arounds, but not as good.
Do Windows editors really have to be so bad?  So much worse than my favourite WordStar-style DOS editor, VDE, at handling text?
Of course, WordStar is One True True Way for writers: here's author Robert Sawyer's manifesto on the subject.

EditPad Pro has a setting that automatically allows to use the shortcuts from Wordstar.

Options>Configure Toolbars and Menus>Keyboard Shortcuts>General Settings for Shortcuts>Use navigation keys from Wordstar>Apply Shortcuts from Wordstar

AbteriX

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 05:21 AM »
www.HippoEDIT.com
    * Automatic back-ups