topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DonationCoder.com - Complaints, Problems, and Rooms for Improvement  (Read 45058 times)

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: DonationCoder.com - Complaints, Problems, and Rooms for Improvement
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2009, 03:26 PM »
In many of the thread listings, specific to a user (such as the "new replies to your posts"), it would be nice to have an additional column with the number of new posts. So often, I end up looking a thread just to see that only 1 new post was made, when I'd like to wait until 3-4 new posts are made (minimize context switching). The total number of posts column could be replaced with this one... who remembers / cares what is the total post count (in that display) as it is shown when viewing the actual thread.

For the InfoQube community web site, I use Drupal and it shows in red, the number of new posts. I find this very useful
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 03:30 PM by PPLandry »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2009, 11:07 PM »
My little, tiny, monir but very annoying complaint:

Most forum software has a hyperlinked list of pages for multi-page threads - as DC also does - but all others I have seen have a "Next Page" arrow, "Previous Page" arrow, and "Last Page" arrow to aid in navigation of that thread. Not so on DC's forums. DC has linked page numbers on the left, and "<<  Previous  Next  >>" on the right. But the Previous/Next do NOT lead to the next page in the thread but the next thread!

Even though I have fallen into that trap several times and should know better, I use so many other forums that do not do it that way that I still get caught every now and then.

Grrrrr...!

Jim

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2009, 11:44 PM »
don't know if this is even possible, but this really irritates me

is it possible to provide the functionality to print or save/export a thread in it's entirety.

I occasionally want to print a thread so i can review it offline or use it as a reference, and I really hate having to print out 3, 5, 10, 20 or more pages individually

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2009, 12:03 AM »
don't know if this is even possible, but this really irritates me

is it possible to provide the functionality to print or save/export a thread in it's entirety.

I occasionally want to print a thread so i can review it offline or use it as a reference, and I really hate having to print out 3, 5, 10, 20 or more pages individually

Just modify the url a little by adding &action=printpage to the thread's main URL.

For example, the url for this thread, all one one page, would be this:

https://www.donation...amp;action=printpage

Or just click that little button at the botom of every page in a thread that says "print"

SNAG-00099.png
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 12:07 AM by app103 »

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2009, 12:24 AM »
well don't i look like stupid... :-[

I suppose i should have tried it first (I've never needed to do it here, but whenever I've done it in other forums the experience has always been bad bad bad...)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2009, 12:25 AM »
Don't feel bad. I didn't notice that button either, till after I made the post explaining how to edit the url.

I took a screenshot and edited my post to include it.  :-[

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2009, 12:55 AM »
I knew the button was there, I just assumed... (DOH!!DOH!!DOH!!DOH!!)

thanks for the tip on the URL though, I'll (hopefully) put that to good use...

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2009, 01:39 AM »
In many of the thread listings, specific to a user (such as the "new replies to your posts"), it would be nice to have an additional column with the number of new posts.
good idea!

Another thought: on the "new replies to your posts" page maybe an additional condensed list of the N last threads that you yourself have posted to could be added at the bottom of that page. Because when logging in to check replies it can also pretty often be useful to quickly jump back to a thread one recently posted with no new replies now (perhaps you read replies earlier but didn't have time to post and now want to do so, or you want to edit what you've posted).

So what I am suggesting is that a list like that from the "Recent posts of: ___[user]____" page, but in the same compact format as the alternative "recent posts" page: https://www.donation...p?action=recentdense