topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:15 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Locate32 Plugin (and FARR) Search Question  (Read 8787 times)

CatamountJack

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Locate32 Plugin (and FARR) Search Question
« on: December 15, 2008, 01:46 PM »
Hi,

I'm curious if there is a way to search my harddrive using the Locate32 plugin for FARR (and just via FARR itself) for a particular file.

The file I'm searching for has "exam" in the title, but when I search for "exam" I get lots of files that have "example" in their name (so many, I can't find what I'm looking for).

Is there any way to narrow the list accordingly?  Using Locate32 directly, I can search for "exam -example" and it narrows the list down to what I'm looking for, but I can't find a way to do the same thing with either FARR or the Locate32 plugin for FARR.   :huh:  Probably a simple answer, but I'm missing a beat somewhere.

Thanks in advance! 

jmj

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Author of Locate32
    • View Profile
    • Locate32
    • Donate to Member
Re: Locate32 Plugin (and FARR) Search Question
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 10:14 AM »
Try "-lw exam". FARR plugin uses locate.exe with searches so you can use its command line arguments (see "locate -h" in command prompt).

For Locate32, I suggest you to try "Match whole name only" option in Advanced tab.

CatamountJack

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 10:06 PM »
Try "-lw exam". FARR plugin uses locate.exe with searches so you can use its command line arguments (see "locate -h" in command prompt).

For Locate32, I suggest you to try "Match whole name only" option in Advanced tab.

Thanks, jmj, for your reply!

Unfortunately your suggestions didn't work in my situation.  The file name I'm looking for merely contains the word "exam", it is not the entire title.  Using -lw, therefore, brings up no results. 

As I mentioned, the Locate32 program itself works great!  I can specify "exam -example" in my search and it will match all files containing "exam", but exclude just those that have "example".  Neither the Locate32 plugin nor FARR seem to offer the same capabilities though (so far as I can tell).  I consulted the list of command line arguments as you suggested, but I still don't see anything that works in this particular case.  I hope I might be just missing something obvious!

I'd welcome any further suggestions you might have.  Many thanks!

jmj

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Author of Locate32
    • View Profile
    • Locate32
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 02:30 PM »
Ok. I think that this is issue in locate.exe, not FAR plugin itself (unless Okke wants to start using Locate32 searching module directly). To get this work, I should extend locate.exe to understand logical operators. I'll add that to the todo list.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 02:40 PM »
unless Okke wants to start using Locate32 searching module directly

one of the things i would really really like to do is build into the core FARR functionality the option to use locate32 module or indices directly and explicitly.

jmj -- maybe one of these days in near future you will let me bend your ear and ask a few questions about the best way for me to do it.

jmj

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Author of Locate32
    • View Profile
    • Locate32
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 10:41 AM »
jmj -- maybe one of these days in near future you will let me bend your ear and ask a few questions about the best way for me to do it.

Sure. Maybe I should put Locate32's improve searching interface and put all into a dll file so it would be easier to use in external problems. 

CatamountJack

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 06:59 PM »
I'm looking forward to this and, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, thanks to the both of you for your great programs!