topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Gmail: Looking for a desktop version  (Read 11599 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Gmail: Looking for a desktop version
« on: December 01, 2008, 08:38 PM »
Hi everybody,

A couple of days ago we got some mail saying that our TV/phone/ISP is changing our internet and TV service - we will get 7MBPS instead of 3, but they are changing the email addresses from @qwest.net to @q.com - apparently some Microsoft hosted thing. My dad and I are annoyed at the forced change, however I have chosen to use my Google account and long-dormant Gmail email to be my new main address.

Problem is, I am used to the old POP3 system - open up your email app of choice, wait for incoming messages, wait for outgoing messages, read 4 messages, delete 67 spam messages, and be done. I have used the account gradually over the last 2 days (home sick) and I like how it works and how it looks, but I *really* need a desktop application version of it. Does Google offer anything like that yet, or will I have to make a small program to do it for me?

Also, I have heard that Gmail is supposed to be really powerful and all - I've messed with the options, it used to forward the occasional email to my main address, but I'm curious what it can do. I'm not a fan of Google's software, but I'm willing to try :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Gmail: Looking for a desktop version
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 08:42 PM »
You can forward all your Gmail to your pop3 account or just download it all via pop3. It's in the settings menu and there have been discussions about it here in the past warning to use this method to backup your e-mail due to Gmail accounts mysteriously disappearing.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 08:43 PM »
Here's one of the previous discussions that I mentioned:

Downloading your Gmail Account

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 08:48 PM »
But I am going the opposite way - leaving POP3 and going to Gmail. That's (Gmail -> POP3) what I used to do - now I am using it as my primary email.

*Reading linked topic now*

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 09:47 PM »
But I am going the opposite way - leaving POP3 and going to Gmail. That's (Gmail -> POP3) what I used to do - now I am using it as my primary email.

Why not turn on GMail's IMAP and use your email app of choice, (assuming it supports IMAP) ?

Personally, I can't think of something more annoying than not being able to read your email offline.  Assuming you always have an internet connection to access your old emails is just plain silly.

I have 6 GMail accounts and for 5 of them I use Thunderbird to download all emails via POP3, the last is used to register on crap sites and I use Thunderbird in IMAP mode for it because I'm not concerned about saving anything from it.

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 12:06 AM »
Personally, I can't think of something more annoying than not being able to read your email offline.  Assuming you always have an internet connection to access your old emails is just plain silly.

I agree 100%

wreckedcarzz, as 4wd said, you can keep using the same POP3 system with GMail if you want to. No need to change anything and you can keep using the same email app. See: GMail Help - Enabling POP for instructions
Essentially it's:
1) Enable POP3 in your GMail account
2) Set up your email program to use GMail as POP and SMTP server
3) Enjoy!  :D
I'll have what she's having

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 12:09 PM »
I was kind of hoping Google would have their own client (I like my Shiny theme :P), but I'm more than happy to use Thunderbird for it - I'm getting tired of using Windows Live Mail anyways. Should have stayed with TB in the first place.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 09:07 PM »
Deozaan and all the others are right, just use your normal email client software, but configure it to use the Gmail servers (POP3 & SMTP) so you put your ISP's mail server 'out of business'.

Sorry for shooting under your wing, wreckedcarzz...but can anybody explain me how it is possible that POP3 messages from Gmail are not downloaded by Thunderbird (version 2.x+)?

Logging in using my TB goes ok, Gmail also responds by showing me the amount of new messages in its balloon and I know that my configuration is set to download messages. It even initializes the connection for the download to commence and but it never finishes downloading the first message.

Already tried starting with an completely empty gmail inbox and putting in a new message using one other mail account, but the same thing keeps happening.

Other mail clients can retrieve the messages from there, but I don't want to use anything else than TB.
<rant>
Do not mention Outlook in any incarnation as an alternative, because it is something to despise. How anyone can work efficiently with that software is beyond me. Communicating with the MAPI/CAPI implementation from Outlook (mail and crypto) is just as painful as dropping a 3-pound hammer on the same little toe...five times in a row!). The amount of misinformation that is fed to you at MSDN is unbelievable. Those guys should start a spy school or something.

What I think is that the developers of Outlook are not allowed to use C++, but that company policy dictates the use of Voodoo++
</rant>

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 09:40 PM »
Actually I have Thunderbird (Portable Edition, via PortableApps.com) downloading my Gmail now via POP3 - no issues. You enabled POP3 for all messages and disabled IMAP, right?

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 10:32 PM »
Maybe offtopic but a new "gmail on desktop" gadget released a day ago :

http://desktop.googl...s/i/gmailgadget.html

SKA

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 10:36 PM »
Actually I have Thunderbird (Portable Edition, via PortableApps.com) downloading my Gmail now via POP3 - no issues. You enabled POP3 for all messages and disabled IMAP, right?

I also use Portable Thunderbird, (currently 2.0.0.17 - I should update), with no issues.  You can have both POP3 and IMAP enabled in GMail, it won't cause a problem - well it hasn't yet for me.

I have one account that's set for both, in Thunderbird I have two accounts for it, a POP3 and an IMAP.  The POP3 is not set to automatically check and download but will do it manually.  This is a hangover from when I was trialing IMAP, I've since found I prefer POP3 so one of these days I'll get around to deleting that particular IMAP account out of Thunderbird........no hurry.......

Thinking back, I do recall encountering a problem like yours Shades.  My sister was having the same problem with Thunderbird and her new GMail account, it would connect OK, show there were messages but wouldn't download them.

No matter what settings we tried in Thunderbird it just wouldn't do it, tried deleting and creating the account - it only worked after uninstalling and reinstalling Thunderbird and then setting up the account from scratch again.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 12:20 AM »
I also use Portable Thunderbird, (currently 2.0.0.17 - I should update)...

A bit off-topic, but the beta (in development) PortableApps Updater helps immensely ...
</off topic>

I second the thought that it might be some weird configuration setting that got messed up, so a reinstall would probably be the best route.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 04:19 AM »
Sorry for shooting under your wing, wreckedcarzz...but can anybody explain me how it is possible that POP3 messages from Gmail are not downloaded by Thunderbird (version 2.x+)?

Have you checked you have changed to the right ports and security settings? GMail doesn't send mail to POP3 at the normal ports etc.

See: http://mail.google.c...ail&answer=12103

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 06:06 AM »
I also use Portable Thunderbird, (currently 2.0.0.17 - I should update)...

A bit off-topic, but the beta (in development) PortableApps Updater helps immensely ...
</off topic>

I prefer to download the latest version, extract somewhere else, copy my data into the relevant directory and then see if it works for a week before I delete the old version - rather than a straight new for old replacement.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 07:34 AM »
1) iirc GMail supports IMAP, which rocks compared to POP3.
2) see this thread - imho doesn't only apply to ISPs, but also other services... like gmail. Go buy your own domain+hosting, it's cheap.
- carpe noctem