topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2009 Release: Visual Basic 6.0 Bible Quiz -- English and Spanish  (Read 26174 times)

larystoy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    • View Profile
    • Jazy Webs by Larry
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2009 Entry Information

Application Name Visual Basic 6.0 Bible Quiz -- English and Spanish
Version V2.4
Short Description Multi player Bible Quiz
Supported OSes Windows
Web Page http://www.jazywebs.com
English VersionEnglish Download Page
Spanish Version
Spanish Download Page
System Requirements
  • Pentium W/128 RAM
Version History
  • About done, but is any program "done"
AuthorLink to larystoy's profile

Bible Quiz
Started out as a "something to do project" when learning HTML. Could never figure out a way to keep score with HTML, so rewrote it in Visual Basic 6.0.

Features
Over 1000 questions, multiple choice answers in random order. Choice of New Testament or Old Testament question at any time. Can play by yourself or with up to 6 players competitively. Can get a "hint" at any time or "read the verse" if desired.

Can't "read the verse" to find the answer though. Must answer the question first. Once you have "read the verse" goes to next question.

Screenshots

View Screen Shots

Usage
Installation
ZIP file with required DLL's and OCX's.

Using the Application
Has a "help" file built in, duplicated in the "readme" file that can be viewed prior to installing the program.

Uninstallation
Just delete the files and folder you will be creating.

Known Issues
Thanks to all that are looking at this program. Will implement changes as they are brought to my attention.

Thanks to: TPReal for his many inputs for improvments to the program, and Parttimecoder for suggesting an ability to turn off the sound. Using these suggestions, several improvements have been made to the program.

Anyone that has downloaded the file prior to 12/30/08, can now update the main file from the link above and have the most current version.

I am currently working on a Spanish version, and although there is one avaliable please keep in mind, it still needs some major work on it. So please visit my web site for information on updates to that version.

May the Lord bless any and all that will read his word and take it to their heart.

mainscreen.png
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 07:59 PM by larystoy »

TPReal

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2009 Release: Visual Basic 6.0 Bible Quiz
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 02:30 PM »
Hello Larry, let me express some my impressions about the program :)

• I like the idea of showing the corresponding verse for each question if you get it wrong.
  • The controls are rather clean. One bug there is that the field with the current question number is editable.
  • The order of possible answers could be randomized each time.
  • It happened several times that I got the same question more than once in the same session, regardless of if I got it right or wrong first. This could be blocked.
  • If you click Exit, I don't see what's the difference between clicking then Return, and clicking New Quiz.
  • The moving parts of the GUI might be somewhat... disturbing :)
  • The main form is resizeable, and should not be, I guess.
  • I got fifty-something per-cent correct on a set of about 40 easy NT questions, and then sixty-something per-cent correct on hard. Hmm.

OK, that's it :) In general I quite liked the program, I'm going to try the OT later, too. It's a bit hard for me because names and some other words have their English forms different from what I'm used to, so I have to think for a moment to translate (or transliterate) them. There were also questions (or answer variants) that I could not understand at all.

Thanks for sharing.

TPReal.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 04:42 PM »
  • I got fifty-something per-cent correct on a set of about 40 easy NT questions, and then sixty-something per-cent correct on hard. Hmm.

You just like a challenge: Obviously ;D

larystoy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    • View Profile
    • Jazy Webs by Larry
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 05:53 PM »
I agree, the repeating question issue has plagued me from day one. At one time I had the difficulty feature divided into ten options, talk about a problem now, it was horrendous with ten.

Question, unless I write to the data base and check it for each question displayed, how else can I prevent this duplication? To do this would obviously slow thing down quite a bit, wouldn't it?

Any suggestions would be most welcomed as how to resolve this issue.

But, considering (Pat myself on the back) for my first Visual Basic program, I like to think it does a pretty good job.

Thanks
larystoy

parttimecoder

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Donation code is cool!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2009 Release: Visual Basic 6.0 Bible Quiz -- English and Spanish
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 01:28 PM »
Hi larystoy

I downloaded Bible quiz and gave it a go. Let me begin by saying that it's a good first effort considering it's your first VB6 Application.

Is there a reason the main form cannot be minimized or moved ?
You could add an option to not have sound. Of course users can turn speakers off  but what if they would like to listen to there own music ?

Question:Who was Jacobs favorite wife
Anwser:And he went in also unto Rachel, and he loved also Rachel more than Leah, and served with him yet seven other years.
I selected Rachel but bible quiz says I am wrong ?

The return button could be to the right corner or the verse dialog or centered.
Also the text field is too big for the text, makes it look odd.
And of course the text fields should not be editable.    

Screenshot - 26_12_2008 , 2_37_09 PM.png

You could use hints to clarify what certain buttons do exactly.
You might want to insert a nicer form icon rather than the default VB form icon. Look at it when minimized. Looks unfinished !

Screenshot - 26_12_2008 , 2_24_06 PM.png

The difference between an ok program and a great program is often in the details.

That's is for now.

Will look for next version

« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 01:37 PM by parttimecoder »

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2009 Release: Visual Basic 6.0 Bible Quiz -- English and Spanish
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 07:26 AM »
Would you like some help with the spanish translation? It kinda sucks.
Working on an icon too :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
On your homepage, the link to VBR is not leading me to VB6, but to version 4 (four).

adi_barb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Bible Quiz is an interesting project and an interesting concept. Just like the name suggests, Bible Quiz is a quiz mini game with questions from Bible. In fact, Bible Quiz comes with more than 1.000 questions with various difficulty levels (there are some really simple questions and some quite difficult as well).

For each wrong answer, Bible Quiz is going to show you the corresponding verse from Bible. By reading that verse, the user can understand where he got wrong and what the correct answer is. For each correct answer, the user receives one point. After the quiz is completed, a final table will show how many correct and wrong answer you had and the overall score (percentage). For example, if you had 8 correct answers and 2 wrong answers, the final score will be 80%.

Overall, Bible Quiz is a good quiz game. Its interface is simple enough and accessible. The yellow color may be a bit disturbing but nothing to serious. The user can set sound option on/off, can browse through questions or he can use the "hint" option if the gets stuck.

Why is Bible Quiz famous?

Bible Quiz is famous because is an interesting Bible quiz with over 1.000 different questions and multiple choice answers.

read the full review here : http://download.famouswhy.com/biblequiz/