topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Best App to save whole webpage AND its linked pages?  (Read 47921 times)

Ampeter

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Best App to save whole webpage AND its linked pages?
« on: November 08, 2008, 04:02 PM »
Say, for example, if I want to save a full Wikipedia page in html (same as "file-->save as" option in the browser) and also all the pages linked in that page(with the links redirected to the local copy if possible) what would be the best way?

The idea is to have a wiki article and all it's links(1st level only, of course) in html so you can browse it offline without having to set up a local wiki.

I tried HTTrack but it doesn't seem to have an option for what I what, and doing it manually looks like...crazy, at best.

Ideas?   :tellme:

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Best App to save whole webpage AND its linked pages?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 04:10 PM »
The easiest way to do this is the Firefox extension Scrapbook (https://addons.mozil...S/firefox/addon/8186). It has the best web capture engine since its browser based.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 04:43 PM »
I have used HTTRack for at least 3 years if not more.  :Thmbsup:  It is extremely powerful, you can configure almost anything and get just about any file from any website, as well as all links and external sites linked.  You set how deep you want to go.  Price is good too, it's FREEWARE.

http://www.httrack.com/

Ampeter

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 05:02 PM »
The easiest way to do this is the Firefox extension Scrapbook (https://addons.mozil...S/firefox/addon/8186). It has the best web capture engine since its browser based.
BINGO!

I knew of Scrapbook but I didn't know it was so awesome! It does exactly what I wanted, and it's light and very easy to use.

Thanks for the suggestion!   :D  :Thmbsup:

I have used HTTRack for at least 3 years if not more.  :Thmbsup:  It is extremely powerful, you can configure almost anything and get just about any file from any website, as well as all links and external sites linked.  You set how deep you want to go.  Price is good too, it's FREEWARE.

http://www.httrack.com/

I agree, HTTrack is very powerful but I just can't find a way to download in html instead of downloading the actual files, so when I tried to download a wikipedia article I didn’t have a functional page....

Do you know if it's possible to do the same you can do with Scrapbook using HTTrack?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 05:04 PM by Ampeter »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 01:34 AM »
Offline Explorer is expensive (we had a discount in the past) but is top of its class:
http://www.metaprodu...ine_Explorer_Pro.htm

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 07:45 AM »
HTTrack is good software, If you're windows user then you can even use this under Internet Explorer

File> Save As > MHTML file

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 09:02 AM »
WinHTTrack : Windows 95/98/NT/2K/XP
-HTTrack Website Copier description

- Vista not listed!?  :tellme:

blaszta

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 09:50 AM »
I use both, scrapbook & winhttrack.
For single page, scrapbook is the best. For several pages (or the whole website), you can't beat httrack.

and for Curt: it works under Vista. I use Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 11:36 AM »
I tested several ones and decided to use Webreaper during the last years. It´s still my favourite. :Thmbsup:
BackStreetBrowser is nice, too.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 11:40 AM by Crush »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 01:50 PM »
I tested several ones and decided to use Webreaper during the last years. It´s still my favourite. :Thmbsup:

- not updated for 2,9 yrs, and still your favourite? It surely must be good; downloading it now! :-)

Edited:
- but I wonder why the installation file for version 10 is named webreaper_8892 ??

Edit2:
What kind of shitware is this?!! I am not too sure if it even tried to also install Webreaper, but there were so many other "programs" included that I of course aborted the installation. Webreaper may be a fine program, but the only version available today is from SimTell, and that one is full of it...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 03:39 PM by Curt »

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 02:47 PM »
I don´t know wether I´ve got it from this site or another. Mine was a zip-file with no other installments. I tried it now ... it´s frightening what they did with it. The program itself is very cool.
I found a link with a pure installment like mine. I tested the ro-mirror:  WebReaper RO-Mirror
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 03:04 PM by Crush »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 03:34 PM »
- thanks, Crush - that was much much better! :-)

I tried to click "Register...", but nothing happened. Are there any reason to donate? Edited: I mean, will a donation make the annoying popup go away?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 03:37 PM by Curt »

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 04:45 PM »
There´s only an information window (no nag-screen) at the beginning for 7-8 seconds and then disappears till you restart the program next time - a direct click closes it suddenly. That´s ok for such a great freeware. A donation will not disable it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:47 PM by Crush »

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 11:10 PM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned wget (windows only link)*cough*gui fanbois*cough* :P
It is capable of recursive retrival.
Though for the GUI fanbois, I would definately recommend HTTrack. Very impressive for FOSS.

Ehtyar.

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 08:50 PM »
Here's a little different approach to saving web pages.
I've used HTTrack for years with good results but ran across this a few months ago and it has become indispensable.
Usually I download just the home page, or first page, of what I want to save and then go back later to get any remaining info that I want to keep. It's a simple, fast, easy way to grab something of interest!
I'm using the Lite or freeware version of Local Website Archive and seldom use HTTrack anymore. YMMV

"Local Website Archive

Local Website Archive offers a fast and easy way to store information from the web on your hard disk. Archived web pages and documents are stored in their original file format and can also be opened with associated applications or found by desktop search engines.

Local Website Archive can be used as WebSite-Watcher add-on or as stand alone program without WebSite-Watcher.

Local Website Archive is available as a professional and a freeware version."

http://www.aignes.co...ownload/wsasetup.exe

http://www.aignes.com/products.htm

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 09:57 PM »
I also used to use HTTrack, but recently have not been able to get it to work properly for whatever reason (I presume it's a PEBKAC, but you must admit the program isn't the easiest thing to configure). Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a shot.
I'm the guy you yell at when your DSL goes down...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 10:34 PM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned wget (windows only link)*cough*gui fanbois*cough* :P
It is capable of recursive retrival.
Though for the GUI fanbois, I would definately recommend HTTrack. Very impressive for FOSS.
Ehtyar.

There is a GUI 'version' of wget. It's called VisualWget, and it's available for free under GPL.

Link: http://khomsanph.net/visualwget/

It takes some of the challenge out of using wget if you don't like using the command prompt. But that ease of use comes with a price. VisualWget does not support many of the options that are available when you run wget from the command line. (ex: It does not, as of ver-2.1, support recursive downloads.)

Still, it's pretty nice for what it is.

vwget.png

« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 10:37 PM by 40hz »

pmcg

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 04:36 PM »
Hi,

Teleport Pro

I've been using this program since the early 90s and I loved it. I haven't used it for about five years so i can't vouch for it now. It's not free but if it still works the way it used to and you need to mirror all or part of a web site from the net to your HD it may be the program for you. The support page says that it will work on all versions of Windows including Vista but not Win 3.1 or earlier.
----------------------------------------from the web site below--------------------------------
About Teleport Pro
PC Magazine's Editors' Choice for offline browsers, Teleport Pro is an all-purpose high-speed tool for getting data from the Internet.  Launch up to ten simultaneous retrieval threads, access password-protected sites, filter files by size and type, search for keywords, and much more.  The most fully-featured and robust webspider available, Teleport Pro handles today's more complex websites flawlessly.  Capable of reading HTML 4.0, CSS 2.0, and DHTML, Teleport is the only webspider that really finds all of the files on all of the sites.  And with server-side image map exploration, automatic dial-up connecting, Java applet support, variable exploration depths, project scheduling, and relinking abilities, Teleport Pro is quite simply the best there is.  Teleport Pro can--

* Download all or part of a website to your computer, enabling you to browse the site directly from your hard disk at much greater speeds than if you were to browse the site online
    * Create an exact duplicate, or mirror of a website, complete with subdirectory structure and all required files
    * Search a website for files of a certain type and size
    * Download a list of files at known addresses
    * Explore every website linked from a central website
    * Search a website for keywords
    * Make a list of all pages and files on a website

No more waiting for slow pages to download.  No more clicking on links for hours, only to find garbage at the end of your trail.  Read on for a comprehensive list of features, or download a free evaluation version you can try out today! 
------------from the web site above -----------------------------

Peter McGovern

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 06:04 PM »
If you'd rather not have to deal with .NET for a wget GUI, try WinWget.

Ehtyar.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 06:29 AM »
- Vista not listed!?  :tellme:

I am using it on Vista Business, no problems at all.  :up:

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 10:09 AM »
I'm using the Lite or freeware version of Local Website Archive and seldom use HTTrack anymore. YMMV

LWA is my main "save web content" option - i have the pro version (at the time there was a size limit on the free version).

I like that it saves things in open format (kind of the same as save-full-page from a browser) but additionally offers search, notes and organisation.

I save recipes, craft patterns, programming references, articles etc - everything that I might want to retrieve even years later or . I also save the page for any shareware/freeware I download. Websites do disappear, after all.

BUT what it doesn't do is save more than one page at a time - now for a whole website cloning there is httrack, but when i have say an online manual, with dozens of pages, httrack is a lot of work to set up just to get "all the links on this page and that's it". I would love to add them all to LWA but one by one is too unwieldy.