topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: "Residue" problem when launching with an alias via numpad key  (Read 5327 times)

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Launching something that uses an alias via a numpad key leaves "residue" in the Search Edit Box for my local installation.

Below is a description of how one might reproduce.

0. Fresh install of FARR v2.30.01 (I used VirtualBox for this).

1. Create a shortcut to "C:\Program Files" on the Desktop (if the shortcut isn't named "Program Files" already, please rename it to match).

2. Configure a way of toggling FARR that doesn't involve setting or clearing the previous search text:

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

3. Create an alias 'cmd' for opening cmd.exe with a search result (as described in: https://www.donation....msg120331#msg120331):

[attachthumb=#2][/attachthumb]

4. Bring up FARR using the toggling method defined in 2. and type:

+cmd program f

[attachthumb=#3][/attachthumb]

5. Launch the "Program Files.lnk" result via the appropriate numpad key (let's say for the sake of discussion that it was the first result, so press 1 on the numpad).

6. Bring up FARR again (using the method defined in 2.). 

What I get for the content of the Search Edit Box is (note the trailing number):

+cmd program f1

[attachthumb=#4][/attachthumb]

What I expect is no "residue" (trailing number):

+cmd program f

FWIW, I see the number appearing in the Search Edit Box after I press the numpad key and before the FARR window disappears -- sorry, my visual processing was fast enough, but my fingers were too slow to get a screenshot  :-[

I didn't match the above description to anything listed in 'FARR v2 - Official Bug Tracking and Feature Request Thread' nor did I succeed in locating a post with a closely matching description (perhaps my bad).  I did find a couple of other topics where similar-sounding situations were discussed - but I didn't come away with a confident sense of whether the associated descriptions dereferenced to the same phenomena  ;)

https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=5970.0
https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=6980.0

« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 06:06 AM by ewemoa »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: "Residue" problem when launching with an alias via numpad key
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 12:48 AM »
This bug has reared its head before and i thought i fixed it.. i will tackle it again and try to slay this beast for good in the next week or so.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 11:47 PM »
Thanks for the consideration :)

I hope you have success in the process and that it doesn't take much of your time or resources!

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 12:43 AM »
Any luck with this issue?