topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: One answered question before you died  (Read 72232 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: One answered question before you died
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2008, 05:02 PM »
If you had the choice of having any question answered before you died what would it be?
"Can I speak to a supervisor?"

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2008, 06:37 PM »
Actually, Ive always wanted to ask if there's any truth to the rumor that I'm the illegitimate son of Buffalo Bill...

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2008, 06:37 PM »
What's the secret for eternal life?
Joh 17:3  And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. (English Standard Version of the Bible)

I know I may risk moderatorial wrath - but the question posed is inevitably, inexorably a religious question. Ponderings upon the nature of reality, whether there is a beginning or an end, the existence or otherwise of a Supreme Being, the limits and comprehensiveness of the scientific method to ascertain truth (and the nature of truth), whether there is life after death etc. are all religious questions. The answers given are all religious answers whether couched in metaphorical or scientific language.

Where there are differences among us I trust they can be expressed politely.

David

Actually the answer doesn't have to include any theology at all.

All elements in the universe were made in supernova and stars - so in a sense every particle of our being has existed for billions of years and will exist for billions more - whether we are around to see it or not. So as part of the univers we are eternal - and who is to say that some of your elements won't be recycled by the worms and birds into another life form?

In a sense Hinduism and reincarnation probably come closest to the truth if you must have a religion.

It is a sobering thought that every molecule of water on the planet has passed through the biological system of a dinosaur - puts you off your tea.

Maybe the last question should be "Why are humans so arrogant as to think they have any greater importance in the universe than anything else?"

We no more have eternal life in a literal sense than calculators going to silicon heaven.

Believe in eternal life and an eternity of singing happy-clappy songs in the clouds - but belief does not make something true.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2008, 06:39 PM »
Actually, Ive always wanted to ask if there's any truth to the rumor that I'm the illegitimate son of Buffalo Bill...

LOL - how old are you? If this is true you must be over 90 'cos he died in 1917 !

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2008, 06:41 PM »
How to get a girlfriend in next life? :-[ 

How we come to know that soon we're going to get girlfriend? :P

(Please Note Condition :- From 10 hrs Busy Weekdays & just 1 day off[ :(   :P ] )

Answer: correct 'condition' and try again. ;D

MONA.gif
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 06:53 PM by 40hz »

xizdaqrian

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2008, 06:49 PM »
>We no more have eternal life in a literal sense than calculators going to silicon heaven.

>Believe in eternal life and an eternity of singing happy-clappy songs in the clouds - but belief does not make something true.

Lack of belief doesn't make it false, either.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2008, 06:50 PM »
Are logic and religion no longer science?

Religion is not science

- no, religion is usually not science. Here I used the word religion instead of theology, because that was the word used by the moderator, but this way I made it all unclear. Sorry! The science theology is most certainly open to any degree of exploration (and interpretation), I should think. The problem is that the scientist have to actually practice the theology, if s/he will test if it is valid. You cannot have a computer tell you the result, but will have to test & see for yourself WITH yourself! And that is usually not too easy without already believing, because theology includes all of your very life.

Fair enough and well stated  :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2008, 06:51 PM »

LOL - how old are you? If this is true you must be over 90 'cos he died in 1917 !

Well under 90. Which is what makes it so weird to begin with!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 06:53 PM by 40hz »

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2008, 07:11 PM »
Believe in eternal life and an eternity of singing happy-clappy songs in the clouds - but belief does not make something true.

Not according to Pratchett ;)

Following DW's books: what happens after death depends on your faith. If you believe in Eden - OK. If you want 72 virgins - OK. Even new live can be granted. Everything is up to you and what do you hope for. You can also gloat over tasty waffles for eternity :)

I've found this idea to be the best one.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2008, 07:25 PM »
Curt: sorry for not replying sooner, I wasn't following the thread.
Yes, I was saying exactly what darwin mentioned. I have nothing against/for religion, but it's a forbidden topic here at DC (as it can quickly evolve to an "hot" topic). I was just stepping in to call attention to the problem, as a topic like this could easly evolve to such discussion.

Still, it didn't, and I'm glad. Please do carry on, the questions are definitelly interesting :)

What are the winning lotto numbers for 2009?
I fail to understand what use would those number be to you.. Or are you assuming riencarnation? Still, how'd you be speaking the winning lotto numbers after 1 year of life? :)

Where do all the left socks go?
;D ;D ;D That's a good one! (even though my socks are exactly the same on both feet :P)

tiny vibrating pieces of string that everything in the universe is made of
http://simple.wikipedia.org <- /me has learned something new today! thanks edvard ;)

I just thought about something. If there'd be a all-knowing supreme-being answering my questions, and if I could make 2, I'd go for:

What's the question that will bring me the most benefit in the future?

and then I'd make the question that was the answer for that one :)

On the "eternal life" question, my take is that as long as you have an heritage (a general legacy on the world, be it family-wise, scientific, social, etc..), you'll live forever in the minds (or books) of others.. At least that's what I aim for :)

[edit] maybe we should refrain from trying to answer some of these questions, it could quickly turn into a pitfal, as obviously some of these are beyond our comprehension/belief and are inherently subjective.. [/edit]

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2008, 07:28 PM »
My question is:

"Is there other intelligent life in the universe and where is it?"

If only one part of this is permitted, then the question is:

"Where precisely is any other intelligent life in the universe?"

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2008, 07:42 PM »
>We no more have eternal life in a literal sense than calculators going to silicon heaven.

>Believe in eternal life and an eternity of singing happy-clappy songs in the clouds - but belief does not make something true.

Absolutely no evidence whatsoever doesn't build confidence. I don't believe in fairies or the Loch Ness Monster - does that mean they must be true - other people believe in them after all!

I know a number of new age hippy types that honestly and passionately believe that if you dangle a lump of crystal over someone they can find healing - personally I'd rather go to the doctor and take antibiotics!

Not according to Pratchett ;)

Following DW's books: what happens after death depends on your faith. If you believe in Eden - OK. If you want 72 virgins - OK. Even new live can be granted. Everything is up to you and what do you hope for. You can also gloat over tasty waffles for eternity :)

I've found this idea to be the best one.
-fenixproductions (October 08, 2008, 07:11 PM)

That's what I love about Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams they both have a really joyful way at taking a side swipe at superstitious nonsense.

So Long - and thanks for all the ...

God's last message to mankind: "We apologise for the inconvenience"

David1904

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2008, 10:19 PM »

Absolutely no evidence whatsoever doesn't build confidence. I don't believe in fairies or the Loch Ness Monster - does that mean they must be true - other people believe in them after all!

I know a number of new age hippy types that honestly and passionately believe that if you dangle a lump of crystal over someone they can find healing - personally I'd rather go to the doctor and take antibiotics!

Perhaps the definition of "evidence" is the key.
Maybe instead of "what would be the last question before I die", we could shift to "what would be the first question after I was born".
Then we could ask "How do I know what I know"? or "How will I know whether my method of judging what is true or false, is true or false"?
- or even "is it true that what my net doesn't catch, aint fish?"

What I mean is, how can an answer be given to a question, for example, about the existence (or otherwise) of a non material part/aspect/dimension of a person using a set of rules which assumes that only physical matter/energy exists?
These sorts of questions and the methodologies they involve I call "religious" because they involve some deep presuppositions about reality and how we know, and because they precede any application of some theory or other.

Regards

David

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2008, 11:16 PM »
my joke was hillarious, how come no one is laughing about it?  :(

We thought you were serious. :-[

relipse

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I love Jesus. Coding in PHP primarily.
    • View Profile
    • See my GitHub
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2008, 11:56 PM »
why didn't i turn to God earlier in my life?
Ex C++Builder coder, current PHP coder, and noob Qt Coder

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2008, 12:01 AM »
my joke was hillarious, how come no one is laughing about it?  :(

It was on my To-Do list! I swear!

untitled.jpg

vixay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • ViXaY
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2008, 12:12 AM »
Did I make a (positive) difference?

i believe the answer to be true, ;), but i would be open to judgment from a higher entity, subject to debate of course :)
"Drunk on the Nectar of Life!" -me

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2008, 01:20 AM »
Would it not depend on how long you have to live after you have the answer to your question. I point this out because questions like. "What are the lotto numbers for 2009" would not do you any good if you dead the second after you get them.

If I am dead the second after I get the answer:
Will my family be ok?

If I dead one year after I get the answer:
What is in the after life?

If I am dead two years after I get my answer:
What are the lotto numbers for the first prizes for the need one year?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2008, 04:57 AM »
As I look over the list of everyone's questions, I am left wondering if I am the only one here whose biggest unanswered questions are of a more personal nature?

For whatever reason, the questions others want the answers to, don't seem to matter that much to me.

The questions that matter to me most can be answered, it's just the people that know the answer don't want to tell me.

Over the course of my life, people have done and said things that have left me wondering why and not knowing has made those things haunt me.

So that is what I would want to know...

Why?

My other question would be best answered ASAP, rather than on my deathbed, to be of the most benefit to me. But it is one in which I have to seek and find the answer myself:

How do I fix this mess?

(I can not clarify what I mean by that on a public forum. It would be way too personal)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2008, 05:37 AM »
@Darwin
How to get a girlfriend in THIS life?
Nice one  :D, Is that Conincidence or Something :-\ , my family & friends says same thing with added remark " Get out of your busy schedule, stop thinking that you dont have any GF", then you'll get your answer, oh and hopefully a girlfriend   :D

@40Hz:
Answer: correct 'condition' and try again.  ;D
Working on it  :Thmbsup:

My Next Questions :

What is the most mysterious question of our universe ?

whatever we know thus far is truth or not... and what will we know next?

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2008, 09:07 AM »
how about:

<b>is free will NOT an illusion</b>

chrismar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2008, 11:28 AM »
Before I die I will ask the same question which I work on everyday:
How can I make better use of my time so I can contribute more and help end prejudice?

"Expansion is that which is other than contracting."

Chris

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2008, 08:18 PM »

Why did SHE do that?

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2008, 08:23 PM »

Why did SHE do that?

Isn't it obvious? It's only a mystery if you have testosterone (it clouds the judgement!)

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2008, 08:48 PM »

Isn't it obvious? It's only a mystery if you have testosterone (it clouds the judgement!)

:D So true