ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

One answered question before you died

<< < (12/22) > >>

xizdaqrian:
>We no more have eternal life in a literal sense than calculators going to silicon heaven.

>Believe in eternal life and an eternity of singing happy-clappy songs in the clouds - but belief does not make something true.

Lack of belief doesn't make it false, either.

Darwin:
Are logic and religion no longer science?
-Curt (October 08, 2008, 12:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Religion is not science
-Darwin (October 08, 2008, 01:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

- no, religion is usually not science. Here I used the word religion instead of theology, because that was the word used by the moderator, but this way I made it all unclear. Sorry! The science theology is most certainly open to any degree of exploration (and interpretation), I should think. The problem is that the scientist have to actually practice the theology, if s/he will test if it is valid. You cannot have a computer tell you the result, but will have to test & see for yourself WITH yourself! And that is usually not too easy without already believing, because theology includes all of your very life.

-Curt (October 08, 2008, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Fair enough and well stated  :Thmbsup:

40hz:
Actually, Ive always wanted to ask if there's any truth to the rumor that I'm the illegitimate son of Buffalo Bill...
-40hz (October 08, 2008, 06:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

LOL - how old are you? If this is true you must be over 90 'cos he died in 1917 !
-Carol Haynes (October 08, 2008, 06:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well under 90. Which is what makes it so weird to begin with!

fenixproductions:
Believe in eternal life and an eternity of singing happy-clappy songs in the clouds - but belief does not make something true.-Carol Haynes (October 08, 2008, 06:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not according to Pratchett ;)

Following DW's books: what happens after death depends on your faith. If you believe in Eden - OK. If you want 72 virgins - OK. Even new live can be granted. Everything is up to you and what do you hope for. You can also gloat over tasty waffles for eternity :)

I've found this idea to be the best one.

jgpaiva:
Curt: sorry for not replying sooner, I wasn't following the thread.
Yes, I was saying exactly what darwin mentioned. I have nothing against/for religion, but it's a forbidden topic here at DC (as it can quickly evolve to an "hot" topic). I was just stepping in to call attention to the problem, as a topic like this could easly evolve to such discussion.

Still, it didn't, and I'm glad. Please do carry on, the questions are definitelly interesting :)

What are the winning lotto numbers for 2009?
-zridling (October 08, 2008, 03:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
I fail to understand what use would those number be to you.. Or are you assuming riencarnation? Still, how'd you be speaking the winning lotto numbers after 1 year of life? :)

Where do all the left socks go?
-Edvard (October 08, 2008, 03:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
;D ;D ;D That's a good one! (even though my socks are exactly the same on both feet :P)

tiny vibrating pieces of string that everything in the universe is made of
-Edvard (October 08, 2008, 03:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
http://simple.wikipedia.org <- /me has learned something new today! thanks edvard ;)

I just thought about something. If there'd be a all-knowing supreme-being answering my questions, and if I could make 2, I'd go for:

What's the question that will bring me the most benefit in the future?

and then I'd make the question that was the answer for that one :)

On the "eternal life" question, my take is that as long as you have an heritage (a general legacy on the world, be it family-wise, scientific, social, etc..), you'll live forever in the minds (or books) of others.. At least that's what I aim for :)

[edit] maybe we should refrain from trying to answer some of these questions, it could quickly turn into a pitfal, as obviously some of these are beyond our comprehension/belief and are inherently subjective.. [/edit]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version