topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [sorted] how to save/convert image to one with transparency for word doc ?  (Read 8230 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have tiff black & white images (no greyscale, just B/W) - I want to create files with transparent backgrounds (i.e. get rid of white)
I then want to place these in Word Processor file (I'm actually using Textmaker but word doc format)

I've tried using Gimp 2.2 -
it produces images that distort in word file when transparent - I tried GIF & PNG
Also have an old copy of Photoshop (5.5) which was unsuccessful too

What I do is to put them into a text or picture frame in Textmaker & they fill the frame - i.e. lose proportion or whatever you call it
This doesnt happen when saved without transparency ... hopefully it's not just a problem with Textmaker ...

is there another format I could use or a different programme/converter
I have to do about 20 images so can do them manually just so long as it holds ratio in wordprocessor

TIA  :)  Tom
Tom
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 03:19 PM by tomos »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: how to save/convert image to one with transparency for word doc ?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 11:01 AM »
I'm beginning to suspect it just doesnt work -
just tried Photofiltre with the same results with both PNG and GIF

as to where the problem lies ...

still open to trying any suggestions at any rate

[edit]..tried opening the doc file in SWriter (Star Office) - that couldnt even handle the non-transparent gifs (they filled up the whole page never mind proportion ;)) so I didnt go any further ...[/edit]
Tom
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 01:59 PM by tomos »

VideoInPicture

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 02:12 PM »
From my experience, Word 2007 does support transparency in PNG images and it also has a transparency tool that lets you select a color in your image and use that as the transparency mask.
Author of Circle Dock: http://circledock.wikidot.com
Author of Video In Picture: http://videoinpicture.wikidot.com
Author of Webcam Signature: http://webcamsignature.wikidot.com
Author of Easy Unicode Paster: http://easyunicodepaster.wikidot.com

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 03:18 PM »
From my experience, Word 2007 does support transparency in PNG images and it also has a transparency tool that lets you select a color in your image and use that as the transparency mask.
-VideoInPicture (October 03, 2008, 02:12 PM)

Bizarre,
I took a break and it's working perfectly now - sometimes I think computers & software are like people - they dont like it when you push things too hard and the more frustrated you get with things the less likely they are to work :-\

In the Picture Properties box Textmaker has
Detect automatically & No Transparency options under "Transparent Colour" (default setting is Detect automatically) and as I say,
it's now working perfectly with transparent GIF files

yours, :bemused:   ;D
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Let's get geeky for a moment, shall we? :Thmbsup:

If you're comfortable with the command line (horrors!!! :tellme:), you could use ImageMagick.

Download ImageMagick from this link:
http://www.imagemagi...-Q16-windows-dll.exe

Do the install and follow the instructions for testing it. (You'll need to open a CMD prompt window to do this).

Once you've installed ImageMagick, create a folder on your desktop and put all your TIFF files into it.

Open a CMD window and cd to whatever folder your TIFFs are in. Run a dir to be sure your in the correct folder.

Enter the following command:

convert -transparent white filename.tif filename.gif

Where filename is the (what else?) name of your file.

You will now have a new GIF file that has a transparent background. YOWZA! ;D

ImageMagick can do a lot of other really amazing things.  8) (It's also the base subsystem for 90% of the graphic apps out in the FOSS community.) Check it out. Well worth the effort it takes to get comfortable with it.

Hope this helped. :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
wow, that's very impressive looking 40hz

from the options page:
http://www.imagemagi...and-line-options.php
[-adaptive-blur • -adaptive-resize • -adaptive-sharpen • -adjoin • -affine • -alpha • -annotate • -antialias • -append • -attenuate • -authenticate • -auto-orient • -average • -backdrop • -background • -bench • -bias • -blackpoint-compensation • -black-threshold • -blue-primary • -blur • -border • -bordercolor • -borderwidth • -cache • -caption • -channel • -charcoal • -chop • -clip • -clip-mask • -clip-path • -clone • -clut • -coalesce • -colorize • -colormap • -colors • -colorspace • -combine • -comment • -compose • -composite • -compress • -contrast • -contrast-stretch • -convolve • -crop • -cycle • -decipher • -debug • -deconstruct • -define • -delay • -delete • -density • -depth • -descend • -deskew • -despeckle • -displace • -display • -dispose • -dissolve • -distort • -dither • -draw • -edge • -emboss • -encipher • -encoding • -endian • -enhance • -equalize • -evaluate • -extent • -extract • -fill • -filter • -flatten • -flip • -floodfill • -flop • -font • -foreground • -format • -frame • -frame • -fuzz • -fx • -gamma • -gaussian-blur • -geometry • -gravity • -green-primary • -help • -highlight-color • -iconGeometry • -iconic • - identify • -immutable • -implode • -insert • -intent • -interlace • -interpolate • -label • -lat • -layers • -level • -level-colors • -limit • -linear-stretch • -linewidth • -liquid-rescale • -list • -log • -loop • -lightcolor • -magnify • -mask • -mattecolor • -mask • -median • -metric • -mode • -modulate • -monitor • -monochrome • -morph • -mosaic • -motion-blur • -name • -negate • -noise • -normalize • -opaque • -ordered-dither • -orient • -page • -paint • -path • -pause • -pause • -pen • -ping • -pointsize • -polaroid • -posterize • -preview • -print • -process • -profile • -quality • -quantize • -quiet • -radial-blur • -raise • -random-thresold • -recolor • -red-primary • -regard-warnings • -region • -remap • -remote • -render • -repage • -resample • -resize • -respect-parenthesis • -reverse • -roll • -rotate • -sample • -sampling-factor • -scale • -scene • -scenes • -screen • -seed • -segment • -separate • -sepia-tone • -set • -shade • -shadow • -shared-memory • -sharpen • -shave • -shear • -sigmoidal-contrast • -silent • -size • -sketch • -snaps • -solarize • -sparse-color • -splice • -spread • -stegano • -stereo • -strip • -stroke • -strokewidth • -swap • -swirl • -taint • -text-font • -texture • -threshold • -thumbnail • -tile • -tile-offset • -tint • -title • -transform • -transparent • -transparent-color • -transpose • -transverse • -treedepth • -trim • -type • -undercolor • -unique-colors • -units • -unsharp • -update • -verbose • -version • -view • -vignette • -virtual-pixel • -visual • -watermark • -wave • -white-point • -white-threshold • -window • -window-group • -write]
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
wow, that's very impressive looking 40hz

It certainly is. I'm amazed at the people who can code this sort of thing considering the amount of mathematical knowledge required to manipulate graphics on this level.

You might also want to take a look at this article over at Smashing Magazine's website:

15 Useful Batch Image Processors

Whether you’re a Web developer, Web designer or blogger, you’ve probably had to deal with the headache of converting many images to different sizes and formats. It’s not much fun if you have to convert all of them by hand. Batch image processing can reduce this process from hours of work to just a few simple clicks.

With batch image processing, you can specify a size or file type, and then a script runs to convert the images. You can process hundreds or thousands of images with just a few clicks. And nearly every image processor comes with a unique feature set.

http://www.smashingm...ch-image-processors/

Smashing Magazine is a great resource more people should be made aware of. It's been mentioned on DC several times before. When it comes to design ideas, you need look no further. Here is bedrock!

Highly recommended. :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

labmice

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dear friends, I have a problem (a small one I think, but still unsolved)

Although I have a bunch of free/trial progs to do image resizing
(or even the wonderful ImageMagick), I still use Photoshop :-( because I cannot do the following:

I want to take let's say 10 photos (HQ photos)
resize them to thumbs, and to let's say 1024x768
(I can do all these with ANY decent prog so far)

I want to change the "print dimensions" of the photo,
so that the photo is a specific width/height when it's printed.

Do you know ANY prog that can do that ? (or even better a similar ImageMagick command) ????

(sorry for any grammar mistakes) :-)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 01:23 AM by labmice »