topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Posture in sitting/standing ideas, tips & tricks  (Read 35950 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Posture in sitting/standing ideas, tips & tricks
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2009, 09:01 PM »
I just watched the Google Video and I fail to understand the neck posture. How is it supposed to work?

I get that I need to gently pull my hair back and up but then I feel stuck. I don't really know how to move my neck.

For example, when I have to tilt and move my neck, I'm not really sure whether I should continue feel like a tucked in giraffe/ostrich or it's alright to move it like normal.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 04:43 AM »
For example, when I have to tilt and move my neck, I'm not really sure whether I should continue feel like a tucked in giraffe/ostrich or it's alright to move it like normal.

lol Paul -
it depends on what 'normal' is - for very many people, 'normal' is head projecting forward which would make the 'tucked' posture feel weird. I find it the most persistent part of my old posture, a tendency to slump/round the shoulders and project the head forwards.

If your head/neck is 'tucked' there shouldnt be a problem turning the head to either side, up or down. That naturally doesnt mean there wont be difficulty doing this. I cant really help you any more - I know there are exercises you could do if you have stiffness there. There's a very active forum related to the posture method
http://gokhalewellne....com/forum/index.php
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2009, 06:40 AM »
If your head/neck is 'tucked' there shouldnt be a problem turning the head to either side, up or down. That naturally doesnt mean there wont be difficulty doing this. I cant really help you any more - I know there are exercises you could do if you have stiffness there. There's a very active forum related to the posture method

try combining it with this:
imagine there's a string pulling you upwards, stretching your backbone, separating the vertebrae. That might make it easier to move the head while keeping better neck posture. Some of the following chapters in the book deal with learning how to 'lock' this stretched posture so it's not a constant effort. It's a nice feeling if you're able to really sit straight without that effort :) It does take time for the body to change it's ways of course.
Tom

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2009, 01:40 PM »
Thanks tomos. The string bit helped alot.

I'll check the forums when I have the guts to join a new community. Been having bad experiences with posting in forums lately.