topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Request for suggestions: Group Bookmarking Tool  (Read 31049 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Request for suggestions: Group Bookmarking Tool
« on: August 23, 2008, 04:40 PM »
I'm hoping i can get suggestions for a Group Bookmarking web service/tool.

What i'd like to be able to do is manage a group of people who should be able to easily add bookmarks (with comments) to some group list, categorized or tagged in some way.

For anti-spam purposes, it should only accept additions by people on the approved list.
It should be really easy to add items, preferably using a firefox addon button or bookmarklet.

Here is how I would like to use it to give you a better idea of what i want:
  • I'd like to work with a few other people collecting links to reviews of DC software or mentions of DC on the web.  And i'd like to be able to use it also for keeping a group list of items worth posting to the DC blog.
  • So it should take just a click or two to add a web page that one finds to the group list.
  • And i should be able to decide who has permission to join the group.
  • When adding an item, the user needs to be prompted as to what tags or category to file the bookmark under.
  • When adding an item, user should be able to add comments.
  • I need to be able to browse the list of bookmarks easily and maintain them.

Bonus features would be the ability to make the resulting lists public in a nice way with web page thumbnails, so that this list could actually be used as the final output, rather than having to convert it, but that is optional.

Any suggestions?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Request for suggestions: Group Bookmarking Tool
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 04:55 PM »
a metafilter page suggested ma.gnolia, which sounds like what i want:

Groups allow invited Ma.gnolia users to gather around a collection of bookmarks. A Ma.gnolia group can be a powerful resource for collecting bookmarks in any kind of team project, or it can just be a place for a group of friends to hang out and share stuff. Group Managers always have the option of making group contents visible to members only, so keeping some secrets and being yourself in a group is easy.

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 05:28 PM »
...and now we need someone to improve the magnolia-addon for firefox, so it will support groups. (One of the comments suggested the addon is lacking group support).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 05:53 PM »
i've created a "DonationCoder" group on ma.gnolia:
http://ma.gnolia.com...groups/DonationCoder

it's a moderated group but i'd appreciate help adding links related to donationcoder, so if you want to help find dc reviews and mentions on the web it would be very welcome.  just join the group and let me know you want to be added as a moderator.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 10:43 PM »
looks promising but to join, the website requests pre-existing ID it seems.

ws-joinmagnolia-1.png

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 03:40 AM »
Except for clickpass I could choose any one method. But I still have my original magnolia account from before they decided to go this way.

Personally, I would go with OpenID. Now this means you have to find an openid-provider. This seems to be a problem in general: a lot of sites accept openid logins, but very few are full featured openid providers.

We could make donationcoder an openid provider...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 06:44 AM »
I think if you choose openid it will create one for you if you dont have one already.
If not, go ahead and create an openid identity for yourself, it's a good thing to have.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 08:38 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 08:38 AM »
I would really love help finding more reviews of dc software and events, so please join and help me bookmark sites.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 08:49 AM »
I strongly recommend the 2nd bookmarklet in the "Mark In Magnolia" section of this page:

http://ma.gnolia.com...support/bookmarklets

Screenshot - 8_24_2008 , 8_47_48 AM.png

ps. for those of you who don't know how to use bookmarklets, you just click on the link, keep your mouse held down, and drag the link to your browser toolbar.

There is also a google toolbar button and a firefox extension, but neither of these works as well since they don't check for duplicates (or they can't add to groups).

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 12:03 PM »
Except for clickpass I could choose any one method. But I still have my original magnolia account from before they decided to go this way.

Personally, I would go with OpenID. Now this means you have to find an openid-provider. This seems to be a problem in general: a lot of sites accept openid logins, but very few are full featured openid providers.

We could make donationcoder an openid provider...

Under the heading of AOL OpenID, all of the following account types should work. Just use the screen name portion of the email address:

• AOL
  • AIM (yup, that's right...all 5 billion screen names you have made over the last 10+ years will work)
  • Netscape (AOL owns Netscape, so your old netscape mail/messenger screen name will work)
  • WMConnect (Walmart's discount dialup isp is a rebranded version of AOL)

Although AOL owns ICQ, I am unsure if ICQ numbers will also work, but you could try it & see.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 04:38 AM »
just found out that any Yahoo ID will do. once authenticated, you can create another alias for magnolia instead of using the Yahoo ID.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 05:41 AM »
magnolia is currently frustrating the hell out of me with its bad duplicate checking, restrictions on # items shown.
not really great for groups..  there has to be something better for groups than magnolia.  suggestions?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 05:46 AM »
This could be helpful:
http://www.readwrite...kmarking_faceoff.php

furl and diigo both have substantial group features, need to check those out, but so far magnolia still looks best though i can't say im really thrilled with it as a group collaboration tool.  kind of how i feel about all web 2.0 site -- they just frustrate me.  give me a desktop application any day.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 05:59 AM by mouser »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 10:39 PM »
just picked this up from Download Squad, Ma.gnolia's devs have scheduled it to go Open Source by next month.

SC_001_08-08-26.png
http://www.downloads...a-to-go-open-source/

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 04:01 AM »
ma.gnolia needs a solid browser plugin. I wants it!

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 07:58 AM »
I tried Delicious, Simpy, and ma.gnolia before settling on diigo. Don't remember why exactly I gave up on ma.gnolia anymore, but I just love the highlight tool of diigo toolbar. Diigo is also superior in bookmark management functions, though all of them are still short in this regard, IMO. Can't really comment on the "group" aspect, though, for I don't use that part yet.

raybeere

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 10:38 AM »
Diigo explicitly has groups, which you can set up any way you like. If you need advice / help, I'll try to help you. Ma.gnolia, which, to be fair, started the whole existing ID thing to repel spammers, just doesn't have the features Diigo has. (You can comment, highlight, and add sticky notes right on web pages; any member of the group can add comments. Others can comment, if they also bookmark the site, but you can filter to only group messages.)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 10:52 AM »
i'm going to have to take another look at Diigo.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 02:06 PM »
I used ma.gnolia for the last few years, it worked ok but generally was unremarkable and slow to evolve.  They're releasing it as an opens source, install it on your own server type thing soon. Conceptually cool, but I still don't find its featureset remarkable.  They released their feature set, then really stopped advancing ma.gnolia refocussing on boring web technologies. open id and such.

I'm totally sold on Diigo, right now, for bookmark management.. A few too many ads but the features are rock solid, and the FF toolbar is just amazing. (The Diigolet for everything else is good, too). I haven't gotten to use the group functionality first hand, but the tag/bookmark/list/etc. management is superb.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 06:53 PM »
Just a heads up. Recent topics made in the Diigo group has shown problems with bookmark syncing with magnolia.

As far as the group goes, I second that Diigo is a decent to great way to go if you can tolerate the interface and the quirks.

For simpler purposes though, FriendFeed rooms might just be what you are looking for mouser.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 06:59 PM »
I am going to try Diigo and I will report on my view of which is better for GROUP work.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 07:44 PM »
Just a heads up. Recent topics made in the Diigo group has shown problems with bookmark syncing with magnolia.

This is in reference to diigo's feature that will post your added bookmarks to magnolia and delicious, if you want right? -- I'd read the complaints but so far my cross posting seems to be working fine.  Though as I understand it, Mouser has no particular commitment to magnolia and doesn't necessarily need one to post to both.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 10:43 PM »
allen, yes it is. I just thought I'd post that in case mouser expected many of Diigo's features to work. It can be troublesome expecting to work on a stable service only to discover later on that a certain feature didn't work when you try to branch further.

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 04:36 PM »
Unfortunately I gave up diigo recently. Too buggy, in short. The sum of "tagged" and "untagged" bookmarks doesn't equal the number of "all" bookmarks. Same with "public" and "private". "Annotated" bookmarks - 27, and yet counting the list manually nets 16. And many more. I finally gave up and open a new account to start afresh, no good. Try again, still no good.

I asked for help on their forum, but didn't get any. (To be fair, their support forum is better staffed than many, with two active regulars. But still questions and requests could go unanswered.) I finally called it quit. Wasted too much time on it already. It's a shame, for I like the interface and the toolbar in general.

After some digging, however, I've found I could duplicate all the features I want locally and more, with a set of Firefox extensions. Some aren't perfect. Wired-Marker is a little more cumbersome than diigo's highlight tool, and its data is stored locally, which is a plus (no worries if diigo disappear) and a minus (harder to sync) at the same time. And Tweez (for tag autocompletion) has an awkward interface.

But in general it works, and I get to tap into FF3's much improved bookmark system, which, with help from extensions, beats diigo or any other social bookmarking service in many areas. (E.g., try deleting a tag from selected bookmarks, or opening several bookmarks in tabs at the same time. The latter has been requested several times since months ago, and they keep saying it's coming.) I also get the peace of mind of one less company tracking my web usage.

None of this has anything to do with diigo's group feature. Just feel responsible to share since I recommended them earlier.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 06:09 PM »
I agree with mwang but just to clarify, I don't think they have two active regulars or else they would have helped you. The group is seemingly dead nowadays, it's like the staff cherry pick what topic they want to reply to and the only user I've seen ever really active there was Maggie and that was in the past.

Sometimes Joel and Wade can be seen replying but often times Joel just expands on the technical features of Diigo and Wade reassures people that it is being looked into but neither one really does that at enough rate to be considered support.

I'm curious as to how you use Wired Marker because I made a thread here asking for an offline version of Diigo and to be honest I don't really know much about Firefox 3's bookmarking system except it has tags which I don't really understand why it's a plus. Maybe you can share your step by step example because I'm such a newbie to the Firefox bookmarking system that I didn't even bother to check how to export it.