topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Is your ISP throttling you? If so, check for it!  (Read 9897 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is your ISP throttling you? If so, check for it!
« on: August 04, 2008, 01:30 PM »
s your ISP interfering with your BitTorrent connections? Cutting off your VOIP calls? Undermining the principles of network neutrality? In order to answer those questions, concerned Internet users need tools to test their Internet connections and gather evidence about ISP interference practices. After all, if it weren't for the testing efforts of Rob Topolski, the Associated Press, and EFF, Comcast would still be stone-walling about their now-infamous BitTorrent blocking efforts.

Developed by the Electronic Frontier Foundation, Switzerland is an open source software tool for testing the integrity of data communications over networks, ISPs and firewalls. It will spot IP packets which are forged or modified between clients, inform you, and give you copies of the modified packets.

You can download the latest release of Switzerland here. Before you run it, be sure to check out the notes about privacy, security, and firewalls. Switzerland is currently in alpha release as a command line tool. In other words, right now it is aimed at relatively sophisticated users. However, because it's an open source effort, we anticipate making it easier to use over time (please please please let us know by email, by IRC, or by filing bugs if you're running the client but it isn't working for you — we've seen some clients reconnecting in cycles that makes us think there's a bug we should fix!).

Switzerland Homepage

What do you think? Will this help or will ISP's simply look for ways around this.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Is your ISP throttling you? If so, check for it!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 05:53 AM »
Not yet for mine (Fidelity Comm.), but it's only a matter of time. I couldn't believe Verizon's FIOS service limits your total monthly bandwidth to a Gb or two. What's the point of paying for extra speed if you can't use it?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 06:55 AM »
i'd love to use this tool to check out my ISP but in its current state it looks quite complicated. has anyone tried this tool yet?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 02:15 AM »
Heck - I don't have to check...

Comcast is my ISP.  Of course they are throttling me!  Proven by way too many experts for me to ever dispute!

Jim

anne_r

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 05:53 AM »
Switzerland Homepage

I've tried to get to that address for two weeks now - without luck. http://www.eff.org won't open either. Any thoughts?
Regards, Anne

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 12:22 PM »
Switzerland Homepage

I've tried to get to that address for two weeks now - without luck. http://www.eff.org won't open either. Any thoughts?
Really?  Both are working fine here. Are you trying to connect through a VPN or anything?

Jim

anne_r

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 05:47 AM »
Are you trying to connect through a VPN or anything?

No. Tried all browsers, too. I feel so throttled.
Regards, Anne

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 07:31 AM »
Switzerland is still too much hassle to bother with. I spent some time on it, but can't be bothered to go through the hoops for it. Nice idea, but it's still in the development stage and really only for Python programmers. Too bad because it sounds pretty cool.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 10:57 AM »
Isn't google supposed to be working on a similar tool? Presumably it'll have a usable interface.

Ah, here we go: http://hothardware.c...Throttling_Detector/