topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PC Tools Free Offers. Get them now!!!  (Read 14789 times)

BCHOWDHURY

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PC Tools Free Offers. Get them now!!!
« on: August 03, 2008, 01:09 AM »
PC Tools is offering free Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus, Privacy Guardian and PC Tools Firewall Plus 3.0 for Windows. Visit this page: http://www.westpac.c...ls+Security+Software. Let me know if it works.

Link once again:
http://www.westpac.c...ls+Security+Software

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PC Tools Free Offers. Get them now!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 01:14 AM »
I cannot really call them  as free. They sound more like extended trials (12 months free).

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 05:51 AM »
They all have annual subscriptions so it is a near to free as you are going to get. Not that I particularly want them even for free.

If you are tempted be warned Spyware Doctor alone is very heavy on system resources (probably worse than SpySweeper which is bad - I have used both and given up with them because I actually like a machine where something happens without frequent cups of coffee).

BCHOWDHURY

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 10:31 AM »
Dear Carol Haynes, which anti-spyware and anti-virus do you use?

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 01:12 PM »
Now I use NOD32 AV and let it sort out malware too.

Periodically I run SpyBot search and destroy to check my system.

I use Windows XP firewall behind a hardware firewalled router.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 09:27 PM »
the true test of a 'anti-malware protection system application' is the ability to adequately differentiate between a malware and normal working programs. e.g. here is a message i got from Ashampoo AntiSpyware on a PC i was trouble-shooting.

ash_antispy_bad_ver001.png
Note: Real VNC is legitimate remote admin tool that is widely known and respected.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 06:42 AM »
PCTools Firewall Plus is free, not for a 12 month period, not even for a 1 month period.....it's just FREE.

I've been running it for quite a few months, it's up to version 4 BTW.

It's low on resources, (currently using less than 6MB on my system and 0% CPU according to TaskManager), rule creation is far easier/better than Comodo.

Yes, it fails some leaktests but I'm using it for access control not testing for leaks.

The only thing I have to say against it is that access requesters are a little slow to popup.

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 07:31 AM »
the true test of a 'anti-malware protection system application' is the ability to adequately differentiate between a malware and normal working programs. e.g. here is a message i got from Ashampoo AntiSpyware on a PC i was trouble-shooting.
 (see attachment in previous post)Note: Real VNC is legitimate remote admin tool that is widely known and respected.

While the message it displays is very poorly worded, if you look at the classification of the detected item you'll see that it does not detect it as spyware but rather as riskware. Most respectable AV/AS programs will let you enable/disable those categories. Attached is a screenshot from Avira AV of some of the categories that aren't malware but can get detected if you want to, and I know from having used it in the past that NOD32 have these (or similar ones) as well.

With that said, to keep on topic, I fully agree with Carol here; I wouldn't want any of these products from PC Tools on my system even for free. If you're going to test out their firewall, be sure to have a backup disk image ready just in case. Bad experiences with BSOD's and a resulting unbootable system with it in the past.
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

BCHOWDHURY

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 08:40 PM »
You are right. I have tried various anti-virus and anti-spywares. Most light anti-virus to me at present is Kaspersky Internet Security 2009. Try it. You will see the difference. Most light anti-spyware to me is Trojan Hunter. I am using both at present and very happy.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 10:13 PM »
I have a 5 PC license to PC Tools Internet Security for all the (working) computers in the house. If you run it on a solid system that doesn't have previous issues, it runs great. Hefty pricetag, but it works great.

(I personally don't use my copy for my PC anymore, and use Spyware Terminator in its place because I can disable it in a matter of seconds, versus 1-2 minutes + a reboot for Internet Security. Can't be rebooting right before a frag-fest :))

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 02:56 AM »
I have a 5 PC license to PC Tools Internet Security for all the (working) computers in the house. If you run it on a solid system that doesn't have previous issues, it runs great.

I'll agree with this, I've never had PCTools software cause any problems at all on my systems, (both the firewall and the AV).

But I have had problems with other programs, notably ZA(Pro) and Comodo causing massive slowdowns of the whole system.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 09:35 PM by 4wd »

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 07:04 PM »
Boring post but i have to ask, are there any AV programs that still work with Win98?

I'd like to jump to NOD32 but it doesn't work on that platform.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 09:33 PM »
AVG! Avast may work also.

My grandpa (by marriage, not my "real" grandpa) has a Toshiba that ran Windows 98 with AVG 8. Good scanner for the OS, didn't slow it down either.

(I say it RAN Windows 98 because the rear fan died, and it overheated and melted itself - it will only run a matter of seconds before freezing and getting VERY hot again)

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 07:28 AM »
AVG is cutting out of Win98

After a second look at NOD32, i did notice that the Business Edition supports Win98.
Hope they continue to do so. Not everyone needs or feels the need to upgrade their PC's.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 06:29 PM »
I use Spyware Terminator here on my Vista box (my normal PC) with the realtime shield off (as stated above).

A quick look @ the System Requirements shows hope for you! You don't get the RTS but scanning is supposedly fully functional, and you sure as heck can't beat a free virus+spyware app... http://www.spywarete...em-requirements.aspx

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 06:41 PM »
Yes, have heard of SpywareTerminator but have not read many favorable comments with regards to ClamAV.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 02:45 AM »
I'd be a bit wary of Spyware Terminater - a friend of mine had an infected but working laptop. Scanned with Spyware Terminater and deleted whatever it recommended - that was the end of that system - unfortunately I dont have any more details but was there at the time so it's not just a story.

I suppose with any security programme you gotta be careful not to just click yes to whatever it recommends ...
Tom

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 05:12 AM »
You are right. I have tried various anti-virus and anti-spywares. Most light anti-virus to me at present is Kaspersky Internet Security 2009. Try it. You will see the difference. Most light anti-spyware to me is Trojan Hunter. I am using both at present and very happy.

I second that re Kaspersky  :Thmbsup:

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 05:14 AM »
Boring post but i have to ask, are there any AV programs that still work with Win98?

I'd like to jump to NOD32 but it doesn't work on that platform.

'98? Yikes....  ;)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 06:30 AM »
AV programs that still work with Win98?

I'd like to jump to NOD32

We go back. ESET doesn't stop at providing antivirus for Windows XP and 2000. If you're running Windows 95 or 98, ESET NOD32 Antivirus version 2.7 is your product.

ESET NOD32 Antivirus v2.7 was named "Best Antivirus Product of 2006" by AV-Comparatives. It brings unparalleled Internet threat protection to those running earlier versions of Windows.

While no free trial is available, you can purchase this legacy version by contacting a member of our Sales Support staff at 1-866-502-ESET (3738).
-Eset NOD32

Edited:
Didn't see your second post on the subject before I posted.  :-[
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 06:48 AM by Curt »