topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: DcUpdater Feature Requests  (Read 26545 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
DcUpdater Feature Requests
« on: July 30, 2008, 11:46 PM »
Hi mouser,

I really like DcUpdater. I think it is really useful and a great way to stay updated with DC software. Here are a couple of things I think would help improve the program:

1) Fix file association with .dcupdate so that the following happens when they are opened separately from the program:
  • Either a forwarder file is created (like what happens when you register one with dcuhelper) or the path to the dcupdate file is added to the Extra Update Files list.
  • DcUpdater is run normally.

This way when you open a .dcupdate file, you still see all of the other updates you can check/get and the application is automatically registered in DcUpdater from then on.

2) A commandline method (usable with dcuhelper) to show a dialog box saying no new updates were found. This dialog should require the user to click OK before closing out of the updater completely/automatically.

3) Change the name in the task bar from DcUppdater to something better. I'm a grammar nazi and I can't stand it being spelled like that! I still like DCAppdater (DC Application Updater) that was suggested a year ago when you found out about the Vista problems.

4) Room for a real, detailed description of the application. Maybe when it is clicked it expands a bit, kind of like Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. Along with this, information about the changes in the latest version.

5) A way to filter/sort applications by website, author, or something along those lines. It would be neat to be able to expand or collapse sections for Mouser's Software, Skrommel's 1-Hour Software, etc. This should also be available in the "Available for Installation" tab.

Speaking of which, I also have a question about adding programs to the "Available for Installation" list. I found out I could do that by making a .dcupdate file with the Local version # of "not installed" but how does it know for sure if the application isn't really installed?

For example, if I have 5 applications that all use DcUpdater, and with a download of any software I include .dcupdate files to add the other 4 apps to the Available for Installation list to make it easy for users of my software to find my other great products, is there a way to check to see if DcUpdater already has update files for those apps so it doesn't make DcUpdater think that only 1 of my apps are installed even if the user has 4 of the 5?

How does it currently work with the ones you've got in that list now?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 08:36 PM by Deozaan »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: DcUpdater Feature Requests
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 11:12 AM »
great suggestions, i'm going to try to most or all of these in august.

Speaking of which, I also have a question about adding programs to the "Available for Installation" list. I found out I could do that by making a .dcupdate file with the Local version # of "not installed" but how does it know for sure if the application isn't really installed?

dc updater will always check for installed versions of any program references in a .dcupdate file as "not installed", so basically if a program is installed then the .dcupdate file saying "not installed" will be ignored.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 08:37 PM »
dc updater will always check for installed versions of any program references in a .dcupdate file as "not installed", so basically if a program is installed then the .dcupdate file saying "not installed" will be ignored.

That's good to know! Thanks!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 10:36 PM »

thanks, that will go some way to remove this long-standing problem i mentioned here.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 07:33 AM »
thanks, that will go some way to remove this long-standing problem i mentioned here.

The only time I've had trouble with DcUpdater not showing anything but itself and a specific application was when I opened a .dcupdate file all by itself. I've also heard that if you open DcUpdater from FARR then it doesn't check the right directories for .dcupdate files, so some applications don't show up properly. I think this is/was because DcUpdater uses the local path of whatever application launched it, so it couldn't find the settings or forwarders or something to recognize the applications that were really installed.

My first suggestion above should fix the problems caused by opening a .dcupdate file separately.

I don't use FARR, so I'm not sure launching DcUpdater from FARR still causes problems. But if it does, and especially if this is what is causing everyone else these problems, rectifying this should also be one of the suggestions for improvement for the next version.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 12:24 AM »
I'm trying to get ready to do a big round of work on DcUpdater.. so any feature requests are welcome now.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 04:44 AM »
any feature requests are welcome now.

Dunno about "welcome," but the feature I'd like is the ability to cope with network configurations that use proxy.pac files.  Inability to cope with those means I can't use DCUpdater at the place where I work.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 05:11 AM »
* I'd like to see an application that I registered to come up in the main list of programs that you see when dcupdate runs. I'd like to keep seeing donationcoder programs highlighted as that's the primary reason behind the program but to not show up in the list at all is a missed opportunity.
* Dcuhelper should be associated with .dcupdate files when it runs instead of the main program. This way even if dcupdater is not installed the dcupdate file can still be ran and the user asked to install the program. It seems that when a .dcupdate file is installed then dcuhelper is more likely to be installed than dcupdater itself.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 06:31 AM by justice »

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 08:43 PM »
I did a search but didn't find the following (sorry if I missed it).

I'd like some kind of checksum support (preferably at least MD5, SHA1) for the downloaded files.  Does this seem feasible / doable / relevant?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 02:40 AM »
Aside from the features requested in my first post, I think it would also be useful if DCUpdater could launch the installed programs as well.

owenduffy

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 08:19 PM »

It would just be nice to see the accumulated list of bugs addressed sooner rather than later, it has been a very long time since an update.

DCUPDATER doesn't need to do more so much as do it a little better.

Owen

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 05:21 PM »
It is funny.  I had to reinstall a hard drive, and found many things I would like to see out of this updater, yet when I got here, it looks like Deo got them all covered.  Just as a bump and second, I want to point out in particular:

4) Room for a real, detailed description of the application. Maybe when it is clicked it expands a bit, kind of like Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. Along with this, information about the changes in the latest version.

5) A way to filter/sort applications by website, author, or something along those lines. It would be neat to be able to expand or collapse sections for Mouser's Software, Skrommel's 1-Hour Software, etc. This should also be available in the "Available for Installation" tab.

I would also like to add that it would be nice to select several and install all at once for these supposedly infrequent, but never the less common, occurrences.  Okay, in retrospect, I see this may be the last part of part 5, but I just wanted to make this request explicit.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 05:23 PM by steeladept »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 04:09 AM »
working on dcupdater now, just trying to decide on which things to work on it which order..

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 05:15 AM »
I'd like to try to summarize the main things that im going to work on and keep this list updated:

1. Redesigned UI:
  • Hierarchical tree of items so that plugins are grouped under main program for better organization
  • Multiple tabs for things like: Installed Programs, Available for install from site X, Specific Program Y (if you launch dcupdater from a program for example it will show on this tab)
  • A "slide" type multi-row view instead of grid view, since there is too much info for a grid to show any more
  • More info about each program instead of just name.

2. Support for beta vs stable releases
  • User should be able to choose if they want to be notified of only stable updates or every alpha and beta (per program?)

3. Better support for installing new programs
  • DcUpdater can already install new programs that it knows about for you but perhaps this can be improved.
  • Ability to be told about web pages where it can "discover" new programs available for installation.  This should make it possible for people to publish lists of installable tools that DcUpdater can check for updates on and install for you.

What else? Any innovative ideas people can think of?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 07:44 AM by mouser »

czb

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • My open-source online piano game
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 07:35 AM »
not to create folders in FARR plugins folder for plugins available to download ;)
My open-source online piano game: https://github.com/musicope/game

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 07:44 AM »
czb, yes that will be solved by #3

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 03:18 PM »
I wasted an entire day pursuing some improvements that i ended up dropping.. back to the drawing board.  Keep the suggestions flowing, i'm hoping they will inspire me.  Remind me if i've forgotten anything important.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 09:05 PM »
I'd just like to reiterate my original post as improvements I'd like to see in DcUpdater.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 10:31 PM »
One of the things we discussed via email was the ability to have and to distribute "Groups". NANY programmes was the thought at the time. Similar to your plugin tree thought, but as a group. This would allow an author to distribute dcupdater files for all his programmes and have them displayed in the interface grouped.

As a user I might like to display my dcupdater files in my own groups as well: user grouping.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 02:19 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts on how they would like the user interface to present and let you work with or choose between different releases of a single program (ie when there are multiple stable/beta/older releases)?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 08:46 PM »
3. Better support for installing new programs
  • DcUpdater can already install new programs that it knows about for you but perhaps this can be improved.
  • Ability to be told about web pages where it can "discover" new programs available for installation.  This should make it possible for people to publish lists of installable tools that DcUpdater can check for updates on and install for you.

I had an idea that relates to this.

Maybe DcUpdater could have a hidden (or not hidden) package that it always checks for updates for. The package would contain a bunch of "not installed" .dcupdater files for official DC applications and coding snacks. This would be a great way to highlight new DC applications and new coding snacks easily through the DcUpdater progam.

In fact, it might be fun to be able to subscribe to a certain author's/site's applications. i.e. "Show New Coding Snacks" or "Follow Skwire's applications" or "Subscribe to Mouser's Applications." Though I suppose most of your applications are already included as "not installed" .dcupdate files.

And finally, just a reminder that I'm still waiting for my original requests to be implemented. :D