topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: "Network cable unplugged" - except it isn't!  (Read 14111 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"Network cable unplugged" - except it isn't!
« on: July 03, 2008, 08:47 AM »
Nonplussed ... I have a Windows XP computer that constantly says 'Network Cable Unplugged'. Occasionally it tries to connect (and there are flashes of activity on the router) but then fails. It was working fine until recently.

I have checked the following:

* The cable is fine (I have tried replacing it with a cable that works fine on another PC),
    * the device manager reports the adapter as working properly and I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers
    * I tried disabling mobo network interface and installing a new network card (one I know works) - it installed fine with drivers etc. but gave the same error "cable unplugged"
    * I have moved the cables around the router including to a port that works on another computer

Now I'm stuck - I have looked at the MS KB article http://support.micro....com/kb/910389/en-us and none of the troubleshooting steps offer a working solution.

Anyone got any ideas where to go next?

I assume something in Windows XP networking must have got corrupted. Anyone have an idea how to remove and reinstall the networking stuff without a full reinstall of Windows (or having to go through activation again)?

TIA

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: "Network cable unplugged" - except it isn't!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:08 AM »
You might want to try WinSock XP Fix.

Write up and download link can be found at:
http://www.snapfiles...ix/winsockxpfix.html

This little gem cures a lot of oddball issues.

Luck! :Thmbsup:

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 09:22 AM »
Thanks I'll take a look.

Been searching the web on this and there seems to be a lot of hassles with this problem. Solutions seem to range from turning off power management, choosing a specific connection speed to attacking connectors with alcohol soaked 'buddies' ! There doesn't seem to be any consistency!

I wonder whether it could be adware/malware related - the computer has been used by two teenagers that have 'promiscuous' browsing habits! In which case the winsock fix may do the trick.

manimatters

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 09:53 AM »
is it a usb router by any chance?

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 10:13 AM »
No it is a LinkSys WAP 54g type (sorry can't remember the exact number). Can't help wondering if it isn't the router-of-all-evil (I had one and had lots of issues). The connection is from a motherboard ethernet connector.

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 11:42 AM »
I had a similar problem with one of my computers dropping connection constantly.  Eventually, after going as far as reinstalling Windows on that box, I swapped out the router with a new one and all the problems disappeared.  Oddly enough, whatever problem the router was having was only causing that one computer to drop connection.  I had another desktop, a laptop, an xbox, and a pda that all worked perfectly fine with no drops that I noticed at all.  I even tried changing ports on the router and the XP machine continued to be the only one with problems.

Carl
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 11:49 AM by cthorpe »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 11:52 AM »
Thanks for that Carl - seems to be a common issue that just one XP computer doesn't like to play!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 11:58 AM »
No it is a LinkSys WAP 54g type (sorry can't remember the exact number). Can't help wondering if it isn't the router-of-all-evil (I had one and had lots of issues). The connection is from a motherboard ethernet connector.
-Carol Haynes (July 03, 2008, 10:13 AM)

If you suspect your router you might try to update/reflash your firmware.

The WAP-54g isn't intrinsically evil. It just lacks breeding and a proper education. But there's finally hope for the lowly WAP-54g.

It may be possible to replace the manufacturer's firmware with DD-WRT (or other 3rd party firmware) provided you have one of the supported (i.e. older) models. DD-WRT cures a multitude of evils and is definitely worth exploring. There was a thread up here not to long ago that addressed that topic.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 12:55 PM »
With all the power glitches/failures I have experienced here in Paraguay...an UPS continually proves to be a life savior. Coincidence or not, all PC's that are connected here to one did had a need to replace their network card, while all PC's without UPS have them replaced.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 01:56 PM »
Hmmm ... changing the adapter from Auto-sense to "10Mbps Full Duplex" has got a working connection back and internet access is reasonable at around 2Mbps (given the location and evening surfing).

Using 100Mbps means the connection constantly negotiates. I have also disabled 'auto-power off' which doesn't seem to make any difference. Likewise winsockxpfix didn't seem to achieve a lot.

What is even stranger is that another computer on the network is connection at 100Mbps but has really CRAPPY internet speeds! It has a fairly long cable connection (probably ~30-40m) with multiple patch leads etc. so maybe there is a wiring issue.

Anyone know any decent cable testing software - I have Marvell Cable Tester but I'm not sure if that only supports Marvell interfaces or if it is generic?

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 01:59 PM »
If you suspect your router you might try to update/reflash your firmware.

The WAP-54g isn't intrinsically evil. It just lacks breeding and a proper education. But there's finally hope for the lowly WAP-54g.

It may be possible to replace the manufacturer's firmware with DD-WRT (or other 3rd party firmware) provided you have one of the supported (i.e. older) models. DD-WRT cures a multitude of evils and is definitely worth exploring. There was a thread up here not to long ago that addressed that topic.

I'm a bit reluctant to flash the router - there is a WRT54 WiFi range expander in the system and I know from experience that getting them to work again after flashing the router BIOS can be a real PITA. I'm even more reluctant to use a third party BIOS given that interoperability is a bit tenuous at the best of times.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 10:52 PM »
I'm a bit reluctant to flash the router - there is a WRT54 WiFi range expander in the system and I know from experience that getting them to work again after flashing the router BIOS can be a real PITA. I'm even more reluctant to use a third party BIOS given that interoperability is a bit tenuous at the best of times.

I wasn't aware of that problem. I guess Lenny Ayres was right: TANSTAAFL!

Thanks for sharing.  :Thmbsup:

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 02:51 AM »
Ah the old Brigadier!! Actually most of the time I don't eat lunch (try to lose weight)  :-\