topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Woot.com Bag of Crap post  (Read 25253 times)

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Woot.com Bag of Crap post
« on: July 02, 2008, 03:12 PM »
I'm sure most, if not all of you reading this know what woot.com is.  Well, in addition to the normal "Deal of the Day" stuff they offer, they occasionally do something called a "Woot-Off."  During a Woot-Off, items appear on the site for a short time (sometimes a few hours; sometimes a few minutes) for extremely low prices.  Wooters in the know watch the Woot-Off obsessively looking for a great deal on cool gadgets.  For example, this past Woot-Off saw a refurbed Creative media player sell for about $100 that usually sells for $400+.

But the gadgets aren't the biggest prize of all.  Nay, the biggest prize is crap.  Random crap.  A Bag of Crap.  When you purchase crap, you decide how many craps you want in your order up to a maximum of 3.  Each crap costs a dollar, and it costs $5.00 flat to ship crap to you wherever you are.  So the natural choice is to get all three craps in your box.  So $8.00 +tax if you live in Texas, and you have an order of crap winging its way to you via Smart Post.  Wait, did I say winging its way?  More like limping.  Crawling even.  As in it takes 12 days for this crap to finally arrive.  That's not too healthy if you ask me.  And that's if you were lucky enough to get crap at all.  This past Woot-Off, crap was on sale for mere minutes, and 4500 craps were bought by the Wooting masses.  According to the site, crap was selling at a rate of $243,378.45 worth of crap per hour.  That's a lot of crap if you believe those numbers.

Now you may be asking yourself why crap is such a hot commodity.  Let me share from some other, luckier Wooters who post their crap on the internet.
3 GE Insta-Jacks
2 Sansa 2gig mp3/FM players
I Earbud set
1 Usb Adapter for the Sansa's
1 ATI x600se PCI-E Video Card
1 MiracleBeam Clip-Lite
1 Awesome Red Backpack
1 Extra set of foamies for the earbuds

One red backpack
Three instajacks
One Darth Vader Dashboard Driver (press a button to make him talk)
One miniature r/c helicopter

1 Backpack
1 CS Bracelet
3 Instajacks
1 SanDisk 2 gb c250 (missing Battery)
1 SanDisk 2 gb e250 (no cable)
1 SanDIsk 8 gb e280 (no cable)

1 - Boston Acoustics Center Channel
1 - Reebok Heart Rate Monitor
3 - InstaJack Extensions
1 - WOOT! Beer Bucket #659 (ideal for July 4th!)

As you can see, there is some interesting crap in there.  In the past, craps have included fully working Roombas (those robotic vacuums), refurbed ipods, computer components, etc.  Even with some oddities such as missing cables, much of that crap is useful.

So the weekend of June 20th, I had absolutely nothing to do.  My wife was out of town.  Nothing to watch on the TV.  Nobody around for entertainment, so I joined to obsessive quest for crap during a Woot-Off.  Around 5pm, crap appeared, and with trembling hands I clicked a few times and ordered my first Woot crap (3 craps in case you are wondering).  My crap arrived today.  I could barely contain myself as I brought the box inside and tore into it.  Now, for your viewing pleasure, I am going to show you my crap.

IMG_0001.jpgWoot.com Bag of Crap post
Box looks good.  Nice size.  Rather light however.  Big fluffy craps?

IMG_0003.jpgWoot.com Bag of Crap post
Alright, here we have some of those inflatable air pads.  Looks like I might have some crap in there worth protecting.  Breakable crap.  You can see a vtech box.  They make decent cordless phones, so that's promising.

IMG_0004.jpgWoot.com Bag of Crap post
This box is actually heavy for its size.  I wonder what could be in it?

IMG_0005.jpgWoot.com Bag of Crap post
Ah, we have three "GE Instajack for Phones Extension Units."  For use with GE model TL26595 Instajack for Phones system.  Apparently you plug these craps into wall outlets and it allows you to add a phone jack anywhere.  These are only extensions, however, are are useless without the main base unit.  I don't have a need for extra phone lines anywhere anyway.  Well, I guess that's three craps for the price of one.

IMG_0010.jpgWoot.com Bag of Crap post
Here we have a backpack.  The material seems kinda flimsy, but it could do in a pinch to carry crap.  Except none of the zippers work.  That's right, they are all broken.  The main zipper separated and won't mesh back together at all.  The zipper on the front pocket won't slide at all.  Useless crap again.

IMG_0011.jpgWoot.com Bag of Crap post
A long black box... could it be a pen and pencil set?  What kind of crap could fit in there?

IMG_0012.jpgWoot.com Bag of Crap post
No, it's a "diamond" tennis bracelet.  The metal smells horrible and made my hands stink from touching it (well, it is crap after all).  I don't even want to think of what kind of reaction it would cause on someone's arm.  I closed the clasp, and it got stuck.  Trying to open it broke the whole crap.

IMG_0007.jpgWoot.com Bag of Crap post
Finally we get to the vtech phone.  Here we have a 5.8ghz cordless phone system with two handsets, a digital answering system in the main base, and an extra base to keep the second handset charged.  It's a refurb, and the box is rather beat up.

IMG_0008.jpgWoot.com Bag of Crap post
Inside, we find all the parts.  They look alright, though one of the phone handsets is scratched up pretty bad.  At this point, I was actually rather pleased with this crap, as our cordless interferes with our wireless network in the house.

IMG_0009.jpgWoot.com Bag of Crap post
Unfortunately, after plugging everything in and trying it out, it looks like this is the extent of the working equipment in the box.  The main base doesn't seem to want to charge anything and many of the scratched up phone's buttons don't work.  Since the extra base doesn't actually plug into a phone line and provide service, the whole crap is a bust.  I'll fiddle with it a bit more before calling it a loss.

Interestingly, the digital answering system on the base unit still works, and there were 3 messages on it.  The first 2 were telemarketers, but the last was a breathy woman named Linda calling to speak with Gary. She seemed... excited about the prospect of the conversation and rather disappointed that he wasn't there to pick up the phone.  The working handset had numbers in the caller ID, including one for a Linda.  Fun could be had with that, I suppose.

IMG_0014.jpg
In all, the crap lived up to its name.  I can't say there was anything in there to make me say it was worth it.  Of course, the next time a Woot-Off comes along... who knows... I might be there vying for more crap.

So there  you have it.  I've shown you my crap.  Anybody have any crap of their own to share?

(Now all the pictures should work)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 02:22 AM by cthorpe »

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
Re: Woot.com Bag of Crap post
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 03:50 PM »
I saw a group of people got 50+" TV's as a BOC - posted on their forums with pictures.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 03:55 PM »
Great post, i got a real kick out of reading this  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:  ;D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 04:02 PM »
well, we certainly got value for your $8+tax  ;D
Tom

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 04:23 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Now that's an entertaining post!
Thank you for the read, Carl! I had no idea this kind of crazyness was going on through the internetz :P

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 04:31 PM »
i like crap, i'd like to see more crap if you get it.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 09:38 PM »
Thanks for the entertainment.

Here's a thought...
Anyone interested in a crap exchange?
3 unwanted items from me for 3 from you? 
If so, for me it'd have to be in North America to make (snail mail) postage feasible.

PM if interested

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 11:36 PM »
I hope if other people get these grab bags they will also post a tour of what they got, sure makes it fun for the rest of us :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 11:55 PM »
+1 for the "keep 'em coming" sentiment! That was a great read, Carl, thank you for sharing it with us. With over 150,000 members, there's got to be at least one other woot.com crap collector. I like Chris' idea of a crap exchange... Might even get in on the outhouse floor, so to speak, and buy a box of crap just so I can participate. But then, most people that know me know that I am full of crap anyway...  ;D

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 12:08 AM »
...Now this is just the kind of crap I like to read at 1:00 in the morning...

:)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 01:13 AM »
Thanks Carl - that is the most entertaining post I've read in a while!!

ANd, boy oh boy - am I ever up for a crap exchange!  Nothing from Woot.com, mind you, but I just KNOW I have more crap than anyone else here.  No contest!  I save this stuff forever - and whenever I have a major clean-out, where I am definitely going to get rid of ALL that I am not using, well...  I just pack it away better and hope that Mrs. J-Mac doesn't find it!  ;D ;D :huh: :huh:  (I sure hope she doesn't read this!)

My crap is mostly working crap, too.  Just stuff I am not using that I keep "just in case".  Motorola Surfboard Cable Modems, Linksys routers, etc., etc. When I buy new, I keep stuff in case I need it as a spare - like if something newer breaks.  Of course when that does happen, even newer models are usually available at lower prices than I ever imagined.

Most stuff we stop using is snatched up by our grown-up children - but none are much into tech stuff, so this stuff just sits.

Yes, I have crap!!

Jim

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 01:19 AM »
Stay tuned for another load of crap.  I've got another mystery shipment coming soon from another source...

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 05:26 AM »
I've got tons of crap from eBay, which I paid for and actually thought I was getting something good. One of those sellers even cancelled his ebay account shortly after, so I couldn't even leave negative feedback. Had to go to dispute resolution centre in Paypal. Oh, and I have 2 17" CRTs that work well but I have no space for. I even got them for free. Sadly, it seems that I have to pay $15 each to have them disposed off.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 02:44 AM »
I was going to start a blog called Packrat Palace and post all my crap when I was dejunking my house and give the items away to the first person to cover the cost of shipping...but alas...

I had to toss it all out instead. Didn't have time to go through with my plans before the state building inspectors showed up for their once every 2 years safety inspection of the building I live in.  :(

I would love to see more crap posts like this. It was fun reading and seeing what you got.

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 08:33 AM »
Definitely a craptastic thread!  ;D

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 10:14 AM »
Don't forget to tell us how you got on with Linda - we all know you used ringback ;)  :-*

moss

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 09:08 AM »
I receive a regular crap shipment from my son-in-law. Items received recently:
6 pkgs 4X6 photo paper
12 ipod plastic covers
6 1 gig music flash drives
4 battery powered fans with cloth blades

Jim Moss

wyrwolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • It is what it is.
    • View Profile
    • banner page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 02:18 PM »
I receive a regular crap shipment from my son-in-law. Items received recently:
6 pkgs 4X6 photo paper
12 ipod plastic covers
6 1 gig music flash drives
4 battery powered fans with cloth blades

Jim Moss

Ho boy! Does this ever bring back memories.
One of my 2 Great-Aunt Ruths used to regularly send out packages to whoever hadn't, er, insulted her previous posts, and they were always just the most terrific crap (at least to a young boy, ha) like bank giveaways such as pens and (cheap) plastic comb in a brush sets (must of been a dozen or more). One time my niece got a box of fine china (mostly broken because it hadn't been packed properly at all). One of my favorites was the box full of weasel pelts and tails. Truly perplexing. But cool.
It is what it is.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 02:29 PM »
One time my niece got a box of fine china (mostly broken because it hadn't been packed properly at all). One of my favorites was the box full of weasel pelts and tails.