topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Wanted: Compare contents of two RAR archives as if they were directories  (Read 18702 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Beyond Compare 2 can compare the contents of two ZIP archives as if they were directories. However it doesn't handle RAR archives. I converted the RAR archives to ZIP archives to do the compare this time, but I don't want to have to do that all the time.

Does anybody know of any program that can handle RAR files natively in this manner?

I wonder if v3 of Beyond Compare can handle them? Maybe I should email Scooter and ask them to add it if it isn't.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Total Commander can show you differences. You have to get inside one archive in first panel, inside the second archive in another and choose "Synchronise directories" option from "File" menu.

Unfortunately that is all for handling. Packing RAR files (or repacking during synchronisation) seems impossible because this kind of compression is copyrighted and each software author should pay for this feature.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Rather old, shareware and probably unable to handle newer RAR format: ArcDiff - which has a very lenient attitude towards trial period.

Or there's UltraCompare.

Mind you, if DOpus had an ARexx port I could whip you up something in about an hour ;)  (Actually if Windows had any decent inter-process communications language, this would be a breeze.)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 07:46 PM by 4wd »

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I just thought of something. It would be cool to have a way to mount RAR and other archives to a drive like you can with ISOs. Then you could do all kinds of stuff like comparing, etc.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I just thought of something. It would be cool to have a way to mount RAR and other archives to a drive like you can with ISOs. Then you could do all kinds of stuff like comparing, etc.

Not free: WinMount

Actually, these days to mount ISOs I rarely use virtual drives - unless some software specifically requires that it needs access a "drive" or because of copy protection.

Check out Pismo File Mount Audit Package - free and allows you to mount ZIPs, ISOs, Compact ISO, Compact File Set and Private Folder files as virtual folders.

Right-click an ISO, choose Quick Mount then double-click on the ISO file - you're in.  No virtual drives required.

They also have a Pismo File Mount Developer Kit to add support for other filetypes ... RAR anyone?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 09:25 PM by 4wd »

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
WinMount is very cool. I just downloaded it and it has a 15-day trial. Has anybody used WinMount more than just tinkering with it?

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
tinjaw, how thorough do you need the compare to be?

You could do a diff of "unrar v archive{1,2}.rar" - that listing includes size, compressed size, date, CRC et cetera - enough to be able to see if there's any differences. The only problem I can think of is that it uses a two-lines-per-file format, so if files come in different order in the two archives, it's somewhat difficult to sort before diff'ing.
- carpe noctem

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Directory Opus can do this via its Synchronize tool. I can't recall if a plug-in is required (it'd be free anyway) to allow the following, but you can open archives (including RAR files) as directories folders in Dopus, so you set up two panes, one for each of the two RAR files you are comparing and then select Tools - Synchronize and then click on Compare. It will offer to synch the two files for you, but you just click Cancel... Kind of an expensive way to do this, mind you! And possibly not quite what you're after? At any rate, I've just installed WinMount and am off to take a look.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 08:13 AM by Darwin »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Crap. Scratch kind of expensive - make that hideously expensive. The last time I paid attention the buy in price of Dopus was about $55 USD, now it's closer to $81  :o

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
WinMout workes really well. However, the uninstaller sucks (could just be my set up, I know) - it starts up, you click OK to let it uninstall completely and then it hangs. Forever.  :down: >:(

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Not free: WinMount

No kidding!  Either $49 for a personal license, or, an eyewatering $999 for a site license, the only kind of commercial license?  Phew...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I didn't notice that, rjbull. That certainly re-defines hideously expensive! However, the stand-alone price, while steep, is bearable. The standalone cost of DOpus is arguably worth it but steeper yet! I, of course, count myself among the Dopus faithful...

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
tinjaw, how thorough do you need the compare to be?

The use case was that I believed all of the stuff in one RAR archive was included in another RAR. Before I deleted the first one I wanted to make sure all of its contents were in the second.*

I think we should ask for DC to try and get a discount on WinMount? What do you folks think?

*Yes, I just moved the files from the first to the second and said to update on older.  So, I got the end result I needed, but that got me thinking, hence the question.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It helps that the buy-in price for WinMount gets you a lifetime licence. I probably wouldn't take advantage of a discount as I already have the basic functionality, but I do like the application (still not impressed by the uninstaller, though - thank goodness for Your Uninstaller!).

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have found this free software but no rar support, only zip files :(

http://www.pismotechnic.com/pfm/ap/

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have found this free software but no rar support, only zip files :(

http://www.pismotechnic.com/pfm/ap/

i think this is the program that 4wd mentioned. :)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sorry I missed 4wd`s post.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sorry I missed 4wd`s post.
-kartal

You are forgiven my son :)

Actually, this wouldn't be all that hard to do using AutoIt, eg:

1) Extract archives to two temp directories using UniExtract.
2) Compare and report the contents using any diff program, (BeyondCompare, WinDiff, etc).

The updating of one archive based on the result is a little more interesting but should be possible providing the comparison program can output a plain text difference list, then just pass it to the appropriate archiver to update the chosen archive.

Simple!

Let me know when you've got it done :D

EDIT: A little poking around on SourceForge reveals CompareArchives.  Will do ZIP, EAR, WAR and JAR.  It's written in Java so it's platform independent and if you're able you could modify to do other types.  Output is in the form of a HTML report, (hardcoded to use IEXPLORE.EXE on Windows).

Another EDIT: Thinking about it, the AutoIt, (or similar), way of doing it is probably the only way you're really going to get something like this done w.r.t RAR archives.  Other programs are able to do ZIP, (and others), because they are open-spec algorithms - RAR isn't.  You're always have to have WinRAR installed if you want to do more than just see the results, whereas other programs can actually update archives.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 09:58 PM by 4wd »

Craig (Scooter)

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
We actually just finished adding read-only RAR support to the Beyond Compare v3 beta last week and it will be included in the next beta release.  Aside from being read-only it works exactly like the zip support does.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for taking the time to post this info Craig. I'll grab the beta.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
For those who don't know, here's our comparison of file/folder compare tools where Beyond Compare is recommended: https://www.donation...pareTools/index.html