topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: is it possible to search the search history ?  (Read 8025 times)

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
is it possible to search the search history ?
« on: May 27, 2008, 07:05 AM »
i'm wondering if it's possible to search the search history
i use the command historys every day, maybe 10 times day, through the simple "h" alias : dosearch historys
it's much quicker to type only h

i would also be great to have more results, not only 20...

since i launch every single thing on my computer using FARR (url, programs, google search, etc.), i think it would be very powerful, having a few hundreds items in the history and a way to filter them ...

same for launch history ?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: is it possible to search the search history ?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 10:31 AM »
right now it's not possible but i've been meaning to implement this so that one can filter any of the special commands like: search history list, plugin list, launch history list.

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 11:46 AM »
that would be awesome

s.newave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 02:38 PM »
Pleeeeeeeeeease also add the functionality to keep a per alias/plugin history that can be searched against when using that alias. Right now for example if you have a youtube alias and type "youtube search term" it simply displays the youtube url in the results box adding the search term to the url as you type it. This really serves a limited purpose imo and would be better served by displaying a searchable list of entries that you have previously entered using this or any other similar alias's. In addition to this it would be very powerful to also display google suggestions for the search term among the history list.

Btw i figure the more i keep asking the more likely it is to be implemented :D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 07:54 PM by s.newave »

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 02:58 AM »
Pleeeeeeeeeease also add the functionality to keep a per alias/plugin history that can be searched against when using that alias.

i can only agree, and support this request, it would be indeed very useful (dash does it well)

i think the result list should stay the result list  :D so i suggest having some kind of autocomplete box (like the infamous gmail contact list) above or below the search box
it could also be triggered when typing + to show all the modifiers
or when typing \ to get all FARR specific command (\STAYOPEN, ...)

however, i think being able to filter the history of launched items, search terms and plugins would be great, and maybe much easier to implement

keep up the good work mouser ! i really hope the new release is really approaching
by the way, i CAN beta TEST it, if you want  :D

vitalyb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 03:56 AM »
Pleeeeeeeeeease also add the functionality to keep a per alias/plugin history that can be searched against when using that alias.

Allow me to join to the plea.

Including the original link with the request and a mock-up of how I think it should look:
https://www.donation...64.msg92666#msg92666

Babis

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 04:26 AM »

I would also love the feature to be able to search inside google searches. If I can do this, I say goodbay to Googlebar Lite.

s.newave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 02:03 PM »
Not sure why you wouldn't want to have the history show up in the results box. After all they are results, just ones you used in the past 8). I think adding another box just adds an extra level of complexity thats not really needed.

Also to be clear i think we might be talking about different things. Im suggesting a history that can be shared amongst different alias's or specifically for a single alias which is only displayed after that alias has been activated and not a kind of autocomplete feature that functions on farr's root level.

-For example say you had an alias called "go" that after you entered a keyword it would launch that website. So you type "go <donationcoder>" and the alias would simply wrap the keyword with www and .com. Now if you had a history for that alias as soon as you started typing "go don.." it would search your history and display donationcoder in the results box and than you would hit enter to launch the site. Pretty soon you would have all your most visited sites in the history!

-Another example of using a shared history is say you're interested in purchasing "product x". You search google for reviews on the product by doing your  normal "google <product x>". Now that keyword is entered into a shared history called "search history" which is specified in the alias/plugin settings. You now decide you want to buy this item and subsequently search amazon and ebay for it however you already have "product x" in your history making it a lot easier/quicker to search for it especially if it has some long convoluted product name which most do :D. Same thing applies to searches for movie reviews than locations it is playing etc....

You could also distinguish history items with a unique icon so you could tell at a glance which is a previous history result.

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 02:30 PM »
For example say you had an alias called "go" that after you entered a keyword it would launch that website. So you type "go <donationcoder>" and the alias would simply wrap the keyword with www and .com. Now if you had a history for that alias as soon as you started typing "go don.." it would search your history and display donationcoder in the results box and than you would hit enter to launch the site. Pretty soon you would have all your most visited sites in the history!

i use a regex mask like so :
^(https?://)?(([0-9a-z_!~*'().&=+$%-]+: )?[0-9a-z_!~*'().&=+$%-]+@)?(([0-9]{1,3}\.){3}[0-9]{1,3}|localhost|([0-9a-z_!~*'()-]+\.)*([0-9a-z][0-9a-z-]{0,61})?[0-9a-z]\.[a-z]{2,6})(:[0-9]{1,4})?((/?)|(/[0-9a-z_!~*'().;?:@&=+$,%#-]+)+/?)$

just type an url and it works like a charm  :up:

i think we need a different box because you don't want to add an extra step... and because we are not talking about history only...
and do not forget one alias may lead to many many results... not like most of the other launchers (launchy, dash, quicksilver, etc.)

now my initial request is to be able to filter the historys results (past searches), they are displayed in the result box and that's fine with me (no complain about that :))

s.newave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 05:42 PM »
For example say you had an alias called "go" that after you entered a keyword it would launch that website. So you type "go <donationcoder>" and the alias would simply wrap the keyword with www and .com. Now if you had a history for that alias as soon as you started typing "go don.." it would search your history and display donationcoder in the results box and than you would hit enter to launch the site. Pretty soon you would have all your most visited sites in the history!

i use a regex mask like so :
^(https?://)?(([0-9a-z_!~*'().&=+$%-]+: )?[0-9a-z_!~*'().&=+$%-]+@)?(([0-9]{1,3}\.){3}[0-9]{1,3}|localhost|([0-9a-z_!~*'()-]+\.)*([0-9a-z][0-9a-z-]{0,61})?[0-9a-z]\.[a-z]{2,6})(:[0-9]{1,4})?((/?)|(/[0-9a-z_!~*'().;?:@&=+$,%#-]+)+/?)$

just type an url and it works like a charm  :up:

Already have an alias that does a similar thing although yours does look a little more impressive :). My point though was more about the history and not having to retype the same url/keyword over and over.

i think we need a different box because you don't want to add an extra step... and because we are not talking about history only...
and do not forget one alias may lead to many many results... not like most of the other launchers (launchy, dash, quicksilver, etc.)

Still not sure what you mean by this, which extra step?

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 02:03 AM »
Still not sure what you mean by this, which extra step?

if you don't need to use the history...

that's why an extra box (gmail like) would be a good solution IMHO