topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 11:34 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Office 2007 Search Command add-in  (Read 32070 times)

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Office 2007 Search Command add-in
« on: April 28, 2008, 04:19 PM »
Having trouble finding where a command is in the new Office Ribbon? Microsoft Labs has just released a ribbon add-in that lets you type text from a command, and it gives you a list of matching commands.
Search Commands helps you find commands, options, wizards, and galleries in Microsoft Office 2007 Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Just type what you’re looking for in your own words and click the command you need. Search Commands also includes Guided Help, which acts as a tour guide for specific tasks.
RibbonSearch.jpg
http://www.officelab...s/Pages/default.aspx

Update: I probably should have given credit to Lifehacker for this link. http://lifehacker.co...e-office-2007-ribbon
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 04:41 PM by CWuestefeld »

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Office 2007 Search Command add-in
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 05:05 PM »
This looks as if it could be useful.

So far 2007 looks like a simplification (making Office easier to use if you don't already know where things are on the menus) AND a dumbing down (a lot of 2003 features are very hard to find and some are just not there at all).

This might just make it a bit less dumb.

One issue I do have is that 2007 and 2003 do not cohabit comfortably. And, without any improvements, its looking as if Word 2007 will have to go.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 05:24 PM »
God, this is one of the features that should be included by default with most programs.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 05:45 PM »
Wow! That's brilliant - probably better than the 2007 ribbon or 2003 toolbars !

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 06:04 PM »
Is this not like the "Natural Word" software you can get from http://www.softwaretheories.com/?

With that you can create your document and type the command you want to use on it. The software also understands simple questions as well. I thought this software was mentioned here on the DonationCoder site, but I couldn't find it when searching through the forum. (maybe my skill is lacking  ;D)

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 06:25 PM »
Hey this used to be in the beta but was removed.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 06:27 PM »
Doesn't this kind of nullify their theory about the ribbon making commands super-accessible?  ;D

Very handy feature nonetheless, Cybernet's covered it too.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 06:52 PM »
Nice!

However:

... English is the only supported language, and it is just a prototype so it may not always work perfectly.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 08:11 PM »
fantastic! this would help new users to the interface to ease-in. going to have a look.. :up:

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 09:59 AM »
I didn't like the ribbon when I tried word 2007 -- didn't like the fact that I couldn't have as many small icons as I wanted in one loooonnng toolbar.  :)
But that feature would be very good. Like lashiec, I think that it "should be included by default with most programs."
It's basically farr... but for applications features....

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 05:58 AM »
At least for me this add in doesn't work with the cite while you write endnote add in, so be warned, this could be the problem if you have them both.

Phonon

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 12:40 PM »
Hi all,

I'm the creator of Natural Word.  Yes, the product is no longer beta - it's now release 1.0.0, and can be obtained from http://www.softwaret...ries.com/NaturalWord  (it's free for home use).

Grorgy, are you having a problem with Natural Word and endnote add-in, or the ribbon?  Unfortunately, last I heard, Office can only have add-ins running that are built for the same .NET version - so if you have something for .NET 1.1 (and Natural Word is .NET 2.0), you have to choose which add-in is installed.

Yes, it looks like Microsoft is recognizing that the ribbon interface is not the panacea they thought it was.  Some people are visual, others auditory - I personally find ribbons a little annoying because I'm not a visual person, so I never use toolbars (prefer menus).  Having toolbars forced on me is rather annoying.

This new ribbon add-on is nice, but I think it misses a point.  Nowadays, you may need a PhD to figure out all of Word.  More importantly, it takes a lot of effort to memorize how someone else arranges and calls things.  When things are organized the way we like them to (i.e. called what we would call them, work the way we would want them to, etc.), we don't have to memorize anything - it comes naturally.  When you're typing a document, it is very distracting to go from 'what I want' to 'where is that feature again?', or 'what did they call this again?'. 

But enough preaching :).

Cheers,
Andrew

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 05:06 PM »
I maintain that the Office 2007 interface is a travesty and those involved in its creation should be publicly flogged for it.  This addin, in my opinion, is Microsoft admitting they created a piece of trash and too many people can't find the crap they could find easily in 2003.  So this is their bandaid.  I will stick with OpenOffice or MS Office 2003.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 05:12 PM »
EDIT : Tekzel posted his comment while I was typing mine. (Maybe I should add for minor clarification that phonon's addon (Natural Word) has nothing to do with Microsoft's own addin to supplement the ribbon with actually something... usable...)

Welcome Phonon. Nice stuff. I tried it and like it. It's amazing how such a needed thing was not available till now (like "GUI" launchers in general).
In my opinion, one thing that would greatly enhance its functionality would be to instantly show a drop down menu (like mouser's amazing Find and Run Robot and other launchers) and all possible commands as one types -- in an incremental search fashion. That way, you wouldn't have to type whole words (and press enter... to realize that you didn't type the right thing) but just a few letters and press enter (or move the right option using arrows) when your desired result/command appears. That is to say : I think that Natural Word should function exactly like other launchers -- and  particularly farr.

Nice work!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:14 PM by Armando »

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 05:48 AM »
Installed it, and the new tab appears in Word and Excel, but I get no functionality!

I type in the input box (eg "align") and then hit enter OR click the search icon (magnifying glass) and nothing happens!

I tried running the tutorial... it enters text in the input box, and then freezes. After 30 seconds it reports that an error has occured and suggests that I exit!

Not very impressive  >:(

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 06:15 AM »
Ampa - I assume you are talking about the MS Search Command Addin (this thread is wandering in lots of directions).

If so it works fine here:

eg.

sc.png

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 07:04 AM »
Yes, I was on-topic :)

Might try reinstalling. Thanks for the preview.

Update: Repaired and Uninstalled / Reinstalled and still get no functionality :(
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 07:13 AM by Ampa »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 07:11 AM »
Is it conflicting with another add-in? Try disabling other add-ins in Word.

You might try running the fix and repair tool in Office too to ensure you have your Office installed correctly.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 09:25 AM »
It seems nice. Too bad it only works with Office 2007....

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 10:08 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That's why it only works with Office 2007 - everyone used to Office 2003 and before were complaining they couldn't find things in 2007 - now you say it would be useful in 200-2003 ... says it all really.

Personally I used to like the old toolbars and menus but am getting used to the ribbon now and like its productivity gains (esp. the instant preview feature which I think is really cool). Let's not kid ourselves though even in previous versions of Office lots of things were hidden in impenetrable places and often wonderfully obfuscated!

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 11:56 AM »
Yes, it says it all...  :)
an application  like MS Word is like a whole computer with files, folders etc. If launchers/finders are useful for files/folders/apps research, it should also be in these huge applications where there are so many features that it becomes impossible to know them all... and remember where to find them! (Probably this is something farr plugins coders could look into...)

Do you like the MS Search Command Addin?

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 12:25 PM »
Haven't really used it much yet - seems a handy idea and is pretty instant in use.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 03:34 PM »
I appear to be among the minority but i find it easier to find the things I need on the ribbon than in older versions, and those instant previews are fantastic  :)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 07:20 PM »
Carol : thanks.

Grorgy : Well, I 'm certainly partly on your side. I found that the ribbon brings a nice way of visually presenting options. The problem is when you want to have more options available, all at the same time, it kind of gets in the way. All things considered though... it doesn't seem to dramatically enhance workflow. It might just make it easier to learn about hidden options. And the MS Search Command Addin should really add to its functionality. I (not like others) don't see it as an awkward patch or a failure acknowledgment -- more as a welcomed addon allowing a different approach to the multiple options available.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 07:22 PM by Armando »

Phonon

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 03:14 PM »
Armando:  Thank you for trying NW, and thank you for the compliments  :D.  You're right about the auto-completion/listing commands as you type.  It's mostly technical reasons why I haven't added this capability yet (I had tried, but it didn't work well so I never released it).  Unfortunately, it will involve a non-trivial amount of effort to make it work right, so it will be a few versions before it comes into a release.

Cheers,
Andrew