topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Offline Computing :The End  (Read 7410 times)

arunpawar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Offline Computing :The End
« on: April 12, 2008, 05:50 AM »
It's about time i have brought some question in front you to discuss.So here goes the discussion.

My question this time is How long Offline computing will survive?
Let me start with Why offline computing exist:We don't want our computers to stay online get slammed frm virus,DOS attacks.We can't let our sensitive data to be acceses thru internet like rat-lab reports etc.We don't want to share our personal information online.There may be other reasons as well.

I personally use computers thru cybercafe.Internet is not yet cheap in asian countries.In india you have to pay 20 bucks per hour (50 cents in USA ).Monthly broadband plans are based on volumes of data download like 1GB for 600bucks and son on.Unlimited plans have very few bandwidth at about 64kbps-256kbps at higher costs.(This is all marketting strategy to keep the people in technolgical dark area to earn profit,this is another issue).So i know the advantages and disadvantages of staying offline.

Online Software :There are plenty of softwares requires you to be online in order to register/update/ or even start software.There are very few softwares left which can work without internet connection.In my use i have photoshop,corel,flash and some other notable which are left that can be used offline.I have came to know Adobe made Photoshop express web interface that allows photographers to manipulate photos online.So next version might be only avialble online or certain features will require us to saty online.Google docs took office computing to the next level now you can create office documents in cyber cafe or another computer that is connected to internet without paying dime for software.

Even Windows license key is either to be entered thru web interface or phone.Microsoft even limiting the options of offline installation by removing individual ISO download for VIsual Studio 2008 (Now you can either download entire DVD ISO and then install individual component (VB,C#) or install individual software thru web install feature) Same is the case with Borland & other software companies.

Times moving rapidly..so is the internet.What do you think next update in technology will force us to stay online ,garbage out offline sofftware or anything else?

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Offline Computing :The End
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 11:49 AM »
I have came to know Adobe made Photoshop express web interface that allows photographers to manipulate photos online.
Nah, we won't see this for quite some years to come... the online version isn't really photoshop, imho, all it has is a bundle of their filters. Something as heavy-duty use as photoshop (full featured) is impossible to move to a web-app for the foreseeable future.
- carpe noctem

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 04:30 PM »
There is a tremendous need for offline applications for third world countries. Where there is no online service within reason. All the doctors need them. Of course they need the computers as well.

In the health industry there is always a way to get used computers to those who need them the most.

The programs needed are not as hard to get as the computers and especially online service.

Heard this from the county health director in my area.

For instance, the African Nations are in much disarray, yet there are doctors there who would benefit from a computer with programs, even basic word processing suites.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 04:40 PM »
Virtually all my programs can be, and are, used offline. My line goes down quite often so I could not consider working purely on line. I don't see everything being online as feasible until there is fibre to every home & office (or wireless equivalent). And I don't see that happening any time soon or not so soon.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 07:02 PM »
to me offline computing usually equates enduser control. As soon as computing is online, endusers potentially loose control (at least partially) of : 1-performance, 2-data and privacy, 3-flexibility, 4-software features/familiarity, . This is why I stick to offline stuff as much as possible, even if in the future more online computing is unavoidable.

PS : and IMO offline computing will ever die. To think that it would die would be a bit like saying that because you start interacting with other people, you completely stop spending time on your own.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 07:08 PM by Armando »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Offline Computing: The End
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 08:06 PM »
I think it's pretty far off as well. In a Utopian society where there was no malware and people wouldn't pry into private information or mishandle information, it would be great to have everything connected and available from anywhere.

Since that's not likely to happen, we're going to have to continue using offline computing for a number of reasons. First and foremost is that internet technology, though widely available, is still too expensive and limited or unavailable in too many parts of the world.

Second, we're going to need better encryption being used in nearly all formats of internet use. E-mail, IM, file transfers, web sites, etc.

Third, and this is related to the first, bandwidth is still too limited for web applications to provide as good use and offline software. Although I suppose you could still download the software and install it locally, but it could require an internet connection to use. But that's not cool.

Things are definitely heading in that direction, where physical distribution of media is slowly being phased out in favor of digital distribution. And I can see how this could relate to most things done on a PC. But we've already seen all the problems this causes, with DRM, etc.

There are a lot of changes that need to take place before absolute online computing is feasible.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 05:51 AM »
Hmm...offline Im manageing my website/project 9 years frm netcafe....so still thr is bandwidht and cost issue can't be online till i afford it.....

Linux softwares are not avilable in media like DVD/CD or etc in most of the countries so option for that operating system is restricted with online repository...
i have other points to discuss but will come as others reply....

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 09:52 AM »
I agree that that offline computing, in general, will be around for some time to come.  However, there are some types of software that have all but abandoned that approach.

I recently moved to a rural area where I can't get a high speed connection - the best I can do is dial up.  Because dialup is also so slow, I don't get online that often from home anymore. I have to try to do any downloads etc. while I'm here at work.  As you might guess, my virus checker has become out of date, I'm way behind on Windows Updates, and last week I lost two computers worth of work to a virus.

So I started searching for a virus checker that would allow me to manually download an update that I could then transport home and install.  So far, it's been a complete strike out!  Every package now insists on doing a live over the internet update to the exclusion of any other method!  Some even require authentication.

Welcome to the New World Order.

Now I don't imagine for a second that I have covered every virus checker out there and if someone knows of one that allows manual updating via "download and sneaker-net", I'd sure appreciate the pointer.

Daleus, Curmudgeon-at-Large

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 09:57 AM »
If you're on dialup (and thus not behind a wonderful NAT'ing router), you'll want to supplement your antivirus software with a firewall. XP SP2 built-in firewall is quite adequate, as long as you don't turn it off :)

But yeah, not offering manual download for antivirus updates is a thing that started several years ago.
- carpe noctem

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 06:47 PM »
Now I don't imagine for a second that I have covered every virus checker out there and if someone knows of one that allows manual updating via "download and sneaker-net", I'd sure appreciate the pointer.

IIRC all the three freeware antivirus (avast!, AVG and AntiVir) offer offline updates. And yeah, it's a pain, I know that for personal experience.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 11:46 AM »
what will happen if the microsoft,adobe,apple,linux all made their critical aapplications file on web to access it...this will definitely gives rise to online computing and end of offline computing..
such concept will help copyprotect data but not help entire software world....