topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Monster Cables- The World should know!  (Read 52357 times)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Monster Cables- The World should know!
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2008, 11:40 PM »
Well, with these kind of "cables" I can make really long cables(100 meter or so), because we all know that sound travels a lot further through fluids......duh!   

If it looks like a garden-hose and tastes like a garden-hose...it is a garden-hose! ;D

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2008, 02:00 PM »
Thanks for the link, vegas.
"Fine, you want (monster) quality cables without paying the 800% markup.  www.MONOPRICE.com"
I just ordered from there. The old Radius monitor I mentioned in a previous post was sans a data cable and the ones at MONOPRICE solved my problem at an unbelievably low price. That's a good link to rat-hole for us old junk collectors

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2008, 06:41 AM »
Thanks for the link, vegas.
"Fine, you want (monster) quality cables without paying the 800% markup.  www.MONOPRICE.com"
I just ordered from there. The old Radius monitor I mentioned in a previous post was sans a data cable and the ones at MONOPRICE solved my problem at an unbelievably low price. That's a good link to rat-hole for us old junk collectors

Also, building their own high quality, reliable cable at a reasonable price is Total Signal (http://www.totalsignal.com/).  I've used them in the past when Monoprice is out of stock or doesn't carry the exact length that I am looking for.  They are a tiny bit more expensive sometimes, but nothing compared to the raping from Monster or other snake oil cable sales companies.  I also like the exterior texture of their cables a bit more than Monoprice (in most cases).  If you need industrial strength custom cables I would recommend Blue Jeans Cable.  I have used them in the past, but the quality is a little over the top (unless it is a special application), yet only about 50-60% the cost of Monster Cables.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2008, 02:47 PM »
Another resurrection, but it's worth it for some good laughs. Denon released these $500 cables to output audio from their DVDs, as you may expect it's a digital to digital connection, so they're basically useless. Still, some customers did find heaven using them. For example:

If I could use a rusty boxcutter to carve a new orifice in my body that's compatible with this link cable, I would already be doing it. I can just imagine the pure musical goodness that would flow through this cable into the wound and fill me completely -- like white, holy light. Holding this cable in my hands actually makes me feel that much closer to the Lord Jesus Christ. I only make $6.25/hr at Jack In The Box, but I saved up for three months so I could have this cable. It sits in a shrine I constructed next to my futon in Mother's basement.

I only gave it four stars in my review because I can't find music that is worthy enough to flow through this utterly perfect interconnect.

And similar satisfied customers ;D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2008, 03:04 PM »
Another resurrection, but it's worth it for some good laughs. Denon released these $500 cables to output audio from their DVDs, as you may expect it's a digital to digital connection, so they're basically useless. Still, some customers did

most entertaining read in quite a while ;D thanks Lashiec

Potential warning to other users:

I made the mistake of taunting the AKDL1.
As a result, these cables have cleaned out my checking account, fired me from my job, tainted my daughter and emailed scandalous photos of my wife to family and friends.

I am a battered shell of a man.

Though, I must admit, I do appreciate the crisp highs and thundering lows.

5.0 out of 5 stars
I found the perfect use for this cable...., June 15, 2008 ...

I used 6 of them to connect up my time machine to my Starship.

But now my cell phone won't work. Must be interference from the planet being out of phase with my blue tooth headset.

On the bright side...it negated the affects of the Aurora Borealis over my house.

Good grief...
Tom

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2008, 04:50 PM »
Hahaha tomos, that's a good one :)
- carpe noctem

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2008, 06:35 PM »
Another resurrection
Just what I need. I hanged myself with mine after realizing how much I paid for them  :o

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2008, 11:00 PM »
 ;D Of course you could also flood 1/2-inch copper tubing with liquid nitrogen and go with a cryo-superconductor solution to signal loss. Keep the tanks out in the backyard at a safe distance of...say 500 or so feet for safety purposes...and then run it into the house and up to your audio rack. A little pricey - but hey, we are pursuing audio perfection!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 11:02 PM by 40hz »

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2008, 07:00 AM »
Think speaker cable is ridiculous....
New Scientist magazine reported that someone in England has been shut down after selling mains cable for up to 1805 pounds a metre......

That would really help.......

But as for SpinRite, I have never tried it, but I noticed one of my favourite internet techs, Leo Notenbloom seems to like it. www.ask-leo.com  good site with a lot of handy tricks. A lot of it is basic, but if you work in support, it is good to get a professional opinion.

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2008, 11:41 AM »

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2008, 04:25 PM »
I buy audio gear so it sounds good. I buy wine so it tastes good. If there is no difference in how it sounds, not just for me but for highly respected experts, as well as every impartial test ever conducted, then there is no reason to spend more money.

Well there are many reasons, but they are to do with aesthetics, how they make you feel, bragging rights etc. Not performance. And IMO, anyone who buys cables, power conditioners etc based on these criteria is a damn fool :)

If I was stinking filthy rich, maybe I'd buy a B&O cd player and designer speakers because they look cool, but I'd still never buy audiophile interconnects or any of the other crap they peddle in Sterephile mag etc.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2008, 05:50 PM »
If I was stinking filthy rich, maybe I'd buy a B&O cd player and designer speakers because they look cool, but I'd still never buy audiophile interconnects or any of the other crap they peddle in Sterephile mag etc.
B&O look cool? :huh:

I'm Danish, so theoretically I should take pride in B&O, but I think it looks crappy. I always have, and probably always will, unless they change style radically. And like most designer stuff, it's overpriced and doesn't sound very nice. No, give me NAD simplistic to-the-point design and B&W speakers - cost effective, looks good, sounds good.
- carpe noctem

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2008, 07:24 PM »
But I was talking about looks over functionality :D Overpriced designer stuff is exactly what I meant.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2008, 01:42 AM »
But I was talking about looks over functionality :D Overpriced designer stuff is exactly what I meant.
Yeah, I know :)

Personally, I like simple, functional looks :]
- carpe noctem

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2009, 04:41 PM »
Just an update with a recent article... http://www.electroni...cables_on_the_cheap/

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2009, 10:53 AM »
Another resurrection, but it's worth it for some good laughs. Denon released these $500 cables to output audio from their DVDs, as you may expect it's a digital to digital connection, so they're basically useless.
That is awesome, thanks!

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2009, 11:40 AM »
So much for monster cables!

http://www.dealgurus...deals/609063450.html

**Hot Deal** Amazon has this HDMI (2 meter) 6 foot cable HQ 1080P 1.3b for $0.25

Amazon user rating: >4.6 out of 5 stars

Sounds fair to me?

Happy Holidays

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2009, 09:46 AM »
Back a couple years ago I bought a used Xbox so I could soft-mod it, run XBMC, etc. and while I was shopping for accessories I managed to find all three types of Monster Cable branded Xbox cables new for less than $10 for the lot.

I just had to pick them up. They were cheaper than Microsoft branded cables & they most certainly can't be any worse in quality.

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2010, 05:20 PM »
UPDATE:

Monster cables expose' has gone global.................

"Marcus Hodges wrote: "I've got a really expensive one and a cheap one for £12. To be honest, they're exactly the same!"

http://news.bbc.co.u...0056500/10056547.stm

I have to admit that it takes a lot of time to educate the whole world! ;D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2010, 01:32 AM »

Even that article isn't too reassuring. Budget 10% of your system money for a cable? So if I buy a $4,000 HDTV I'm supposed to budget $400 for the HDMI cable?

I'd rather stick to MonoPrice. A $5 HDMI cable suits me just fine. Unless I can get it for less. (c;

mediaguycouk

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Mediaguy
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2010, 04:28 AM »

Even that article isn't too reassuring. Budget 10% of your system money for a cable? So if I buy a $4,000 HDTV I'm supposed to budget $400 for the HDMI cable?

I'd rather stick to MonoPrice. A $5 HDMI cable suits me just fine. Unless I can get it for less. (c;

Richer sounds always used to quote 10% for cabling but that was because of all the composite and speaker cables that have to go between everything. 10% between two devices seems a bit excessive.
Learning C# - Graham Robinson

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2010, 06:16 AM »
Well this myth will be perpetuated for as long as retailers like BestBuy make BANK on their inflated cable sales, it's seriously the item with the highest profit margin they carry, CABLES! And lots of em. If they didn't have THAT money, they and others probably would not survive.  If they did not survive, uninformed consumers would begin to turn more to the internet to find all of their cables and BECOME more informed (most people just assume they need spendy cables), driving these over-glorified cables and their pushers down. Hopefully, some day.

Just to remind, buy cables here! here! here! here! and here!
www.monoprice.com
www.cablesforless.com
www.amazon.com
www.newegg.com
www.totalsignal.com

And speaking of cables, Usb 3.0 is now showing up everywhere.  Looks like lengths up to 15 feet are not a problem and the power spec is greater than Usb 2.0 How very EXCITING!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 06:20 AM by vegas »