topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:41 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What annoys you to no end?  (Read 345970 times)

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What annoys you to no end?
« Reply #350 on: August 14, 2009, 03:00 AM »
The uber-retarded T9 predictive text thingie - atleast the version on my Nokia. I have to keep teaching it the same words over and over because of its limited memory for storing custom words, it has the most bizarre words inbuilt, no editing functionality - all in all a total CITAG:wallbash:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #351 on: August 14, 2009, 03:32 AM »
The uber-retarded T9 predictive text thingie - atleast the version on my Nokia. I have to keep teaching it the same words over and over because of its limited memory for storing custom words, it has the most bizarre words inbuilt, no editing functionality - all in all a total CITAG!  :wallbash:

I gave up on it myself (also a nokia :-\)
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #352 on: August 14, 2009, 06:57 AM »
What also annoys me, but again not to no end, is yet another American thing: "uber". Any child, outside of America, that is, will know it is "über", with an umlaut.  :P

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #353 on: August 14, 2009, 09:56 AM »
But not all of those kiddies have the patience to memorize ASCII or fire up charmap! spanka.gif

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #354 on: August 14, 2009, 10:07 AM »
Any child, outside of America, that is, will know it is "über"
I find that hard to ünderstand.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #355 on: August 14, 2009, 10:24 AM »
Any child, outside of America, that is, will know it is "über"
I find that hard to ünderstand.
-cranioscopical (August 14, 2009, 10:07 AM)

üüüüü . .  ääääää . . lets see,
ö forget it . .
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #356 on: August 14, 2009, 12:57 PM »
But not all of those kiddies have the patience to memorize ASCII or fire up charmap! 

You are right; I forgot that an American keyboard is different from mine. On my Danish keyboard the "¨" is the last bütton before "Enter"!

myarmor

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #357 on: August 14, 2009, 04:49 PM »
Windows Vista and 7 start menu annoys me to no end.. oh, and the "Library" garbage.

The reason is simple, it takes ages to get to the right item compared to xp (a 3 level menu in xp equals 3-4 mouseclicks,
compared to 1 in xp).
The search thingy works, but it requires using of the keyboard, then the mouse.

I've tried using both vista and 7, and most of the reasons why I'm not about to upgrade is that
annoying start menu.
I really should be using 64bit of one of those, but currently programs for them are rather useless..
7-Zip (64bit version) and WinRar shell extensions cant extract anything into "Program files" or similar because no access
rights (and they don't ask).
7-Zip can't register its file extensions.
and so on.

Btw, why create lots of entries ABOVE the diskdrives in explorer etc??
Oh, and the annoying $RECYCLE.BIN folder on every drive (on a dual boot with xp you end up with $RECYCLE.BIN and RECYCLER).
In my mind they have no purpose and is always empty.

How would one hide them and "System Volume Information" everywhere,and still see all hidden files/folders.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 04:54 PM by myarmor »

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #358 on: August 14, 2009, 04:58 PM »
MyArmor, it takes me simply hitting 1 keystroke (Windows key), typing in my search and arrowing to the result. I can usually type and find my result far quicker than scrolling through menus in any OS (XP, 2K, etc). I absolutely love the start menu as it almost duplicates functionality similar to FARR (7 does even more so since I can add custom indexed locations for the start menu search).

As for winrar, I can get winrar to extract fine to program files or system32. Doing so often results in a UAC prompt which alerts me I am writing to a protected area. I used to have problems with vanilla Vista, but havent since SP1.

myarmor

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #359 on: August 14, 2009, 06:32 PM »
@Josh, I have items which results in upto 8 hits after 6 keystrokes, the result is a total of 7 keystrokes + a mouseclick (or 1-7 additional keystrokes to get to the item in question). The search thingy doesn't seem to search only the menu. for XP the same takes a total of 2 mouseclicks and minimal movement (I use 100ms delay for the menus in xp)
So while it is more flexible (as you mentioned), it seems to require extra "work" to end with the same result.

In XP you could organize the start menu very efficiently (removing unneeded shortcuts, group them in different folders etc), but this is mostly pointless in
W7 as its behaviour doesn't allow for it to be of any real use.. i.e "submenus" takes ages to open, going up a level in the menu is another issue, etc.
I guess someone ends up recreating the XP startmenu for W7.

So far my issues with W7 is the startmenu and explorer, otherwise it seems rather good, although W64 has a long way to go to provide the same as W32.

About winrar/7-zip, I guess this might be different between 32 and 64bit as the security in W64 tends to be harsher in many ways. None of those asks (UAC) in W7 64.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 06:43 PM by myarmor »

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #360 on: August 14, 2009, 07:04 PM »
I used to organize my folders in the start menu religiously. I would have the same layout on every PC just for organization resulting in 6 root folders. In vista, this has been pointless for me as the search facility saves me so much time that I don't have to spend searching through my menus to find an entry. I type it in as thoroughly as I can and usually hit enter. Very rarely do I have to scroll through my result list, although it has happened a couple of times, and those few times are due to my just being in a hurry and not being as specific as I could have been. That and the fact that I can type upwards of 100+ wpm makes the keyboard usage that much more efficient for me.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #361 on: August 14, 2009, 10:34 PM »
But not all of those kiddies have the patience to memorize ASCII or fire up charmap! 

You are right; I forgot that an American keyboard is different from mine. On my Danish keyboard the "¨" is the last bütton before "Enter"!

Unfortunately I am guilty of the same. Unless I have the ASCII code for the character memorized it just gets the letter typed without anything added to modify it. Very much a PITA to type those characters regularly on a standard US keyboard.

Jim

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #362 on: August 15, 2009, 01:52 PM »

Unfortunately I am guilty of the same. Unless I have the ASCII code for the character memorized it just gets the letter typed without anything added to modify it. Very much a PITA to type those characters regularly on a standard US keyboard.

hey! I thought all dc members loved finding obscure little programmes to make this kind of thing easier!

I have to say I love having a german keyboard - I have three extra characters (üöä) on the right-hand side that I can combine with the Control key for shortcuts - especially handy for a left-handed-mouser-mouse-user (only one mouser around here I guess)
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #363 on: August 15, 2009, 03:44 PM »
hey! I thought all dc members loved finding obscure little programmes to make this kind of thing easier!

- we have plenty of the kind, buried inside the Snack thread (which needs a cleaning!).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 04:12 PM by Curt »

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #365 on: August 15, 2009, 08:10 PM »
People who seem to think that by turning on my blinker I am telling them to "Speed up"

ARGH!!!!!!!!!    :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Oops, I forgot to mention to Josh - if anyone's trying to switch lanes, it's a violation to keep them from doing so.
At least in California.

SO many people do this that I believe it is actually unintentional with some folks. It's as if when some people realize that someone else is passing them, they think, "Oh, I must have slowed down too much... let me pick up the pace." It just happens with far too many people to be spiteful. Or maybe I am giving too much credit where it ain't due?

Jim

I only see this when I change lanes to get away from them. If they speed up while you're clearly trying to go in front of them, then they're not only rude, but they're creating a major safety hazard.

I seem to encounter this when most often when I'm trying to get out of an 'exit only' lane on the freeway.
After having been forced off my path a couple of times, I refuse to be bullied on the freeway. If there are too many cars behind the offending driver for me to wait & get in behind him/her, I'll signal, give them a few seconds, then slowly start to get over. They can move it or lose it. I know this is dangerous, but golly, go figure - they always manage to find it in their hearts to let me in.  ;)

I run as many errands as possible at night. It's just too frustrating here in the daytime; there's an idiot in every lane. It's virtually impossible to escape them. At least at night, you can go around them. The Silicon Valley has, without a doubt, the most unaware, rude, reckless and in general, unskilled drivers in the country. Period.
-Sarah

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #366 on: August 15, 2009, 11:46 PM »
People who seem to think that by turning on my blinker I am telling them to "Speed up"

ARGH!!!!!!!!!    :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Oops, I forgot to mention to Josh - if anyone's trying to switch lanes, it's a violation to keep them from doing so.
At least in California.

SO many people do this that I believe it is actually unintentional with some folks. It's as if when some people realize that someone else is passing them, they think, "Oh, I must have slowed down too much... let me pick up the pace." It just happens with far too many people to be spiteful. Or maybe I am giving too much credit where it ain't due?

Jim

I only see this when I change lanes to get away from them. If they speed up while you're clearly trying to go in front of them, then they're not only rude, but they're creating a major safety hazard.

I seem to encounter this when most often when I'm trying to get out of an 'exit only' lane on the freeway.
After having been forced off my path a couple of times, I refuse to be bullied on the freeway. If there are too many cars behind the offending driver for me to wait & get in behind him/her, I'll signal, give them a few seconds, then slowly start to get over. They can move it or lose it. I know this is dangerous, but golly, go figure - they always manage to find it in their hearts to let me in.  ;)

I run as many errands as possible at night. It's just too frustrating here in the daytime; there's an idiot in every lane. It's virtually impossible to escape them. At least at night, you can go around them. The Silicon Valley has, without a doubt, the most unaware, rude, reckless and in general, unskilled drivers in the country. Period.

Sarah, I think - well, I am almost certain - that I was a much more aggressive driver when I was younger. Now? Not so aggressive anymore. Lost my nerve? I don't think so. It is just that nowadays when I try to remember what I was in such a hurry about years ago, I realize that most of the time I wasn't really in a hurry at all. But when I was younger any other driver's inconsiderate or rude action toward me was taken as a challenge; a gauntlet thrown toward me, so to speak.

What an ass I was! I'm sure that I acted quite recklessly and just plain stupid, putting myself and others at risk by driving "competitively" for no other reason than pure pseudo-macho bulls***.

Hopefully we all get away from that kind of goofiness in time.  :)

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #367 on: August 15, 2009, 11:48 PM »

I have to say I love having a german keyboard - I have three extra characters (üöä) on the right-hand side that I can combine with the Control key for shortcuts - especially handy for a left-handed-mouser-mouse-user (only one mouser around here I guess)

You know, I never even looked for such a utility - mainly because I rarely correspond with people who speak languages that use such characters. No excuse, I guess. It would be good to have such an app. I'll go check out the links I see posted now.   8)

Thanks!

Jim

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #368 on: August 16, 2009, 04:18 AM »
You know, I never even looked for such a utility - mainly because I rarely correspond with people who speak languages that use such characters. No excuse, I guess. It would be good to have such an app. I'll go check out the links I see posted now.   8)

hey, I was only kidding Jim :) mind you there is a FARR plugin (Character table - in FARR type cc) that gets you lots of exotic characters, but funny enough doesnt show any vowels with umlauts here (maybe cause I already have them on my keyboard)

Anyways we're going well off the annoyed topic here ;)
Tom

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #369 on: August 19, 2009, 05:33 PM »
Operating Systems  >:(

The more I come to love and subsequently depend on Linux, the more warts I see.
Then again, I (ab)use Windows every day at work and it's got warts a-plenty.
I haven't had a chance to check out Mac OSX, but I do read the reviews and opinions when I have the time and apparently it's got warts too.
Shiny, plastic ones.

For all the smart guys cranking out the silicon oatmeal worldwide you'd think we'd have this one licked by now...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #370 on: August 19, 2009, 10:14 PM »
Operating Systems  >:(

+1 on that. Almost as annoying as applications. ;D

Whereismyangel

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Imagic2015
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #371 on: August 20, 2009, 05:15 AM »
Search fields in forums that doesn't allow me to make a search on a specific term because "it's too common" or "not specific enough" !!!!! >:( >:( >:(

And so what ?!! If I want make a search in google with the word "test", i can !!! Why not in a forum ? it's my problem what I'm looking for !!

Grrrrrr....; ;D

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #372 on: August 20, 2009, 05:21 AM »
And so what ?!! If I want make a search in google with the word "test", i can !!! Why not in a forum ? it's my problem what I'm looking for !!
-Whereismyangel (August 20, 2009, 05:15 AM)

That isn't an issue on this forum. You can search for "test" and get results.

The main reason why you can't search for very common words is because there would be so many results that it would overwork the server and probably bring the forum to its knees. If you want the forum to stay online, there has to be some limits in place to ensure that a simple search doesn't kill the site.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #373 on: August 20, 2009, 07:28 AM »
Maybe I've complained about these already:

1. search on forum boards with results not linking to posts where the phrase occurs but to main thread instead.

There is nothing better like browsing through 100-pager ;)

2. software support boards with no possibilities to search for files extensions (three letters are not long enough).

How, the hell, can I find anything ANI or CUR related on XnView forum without that? No one uses full format name.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #374 on: August 20, 2009, 04:17 PM »
well I was searching for a particular windows 7 thread here lately

Each word must be at least two characters long.

should really report it /make a request elsewhere . . it's on my todo list FWIW . .  :-\

of course it works if you put it so "Windows 7"  :-[ lol
Tom