topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: WikidPad - an IDE for your thoughts  (Read 66263 times)

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
WikidPad - an IDE for your thoughts
« on: January 30, 2008, 07:26 AM »
Basic Info

App NameWikidPad
App URLhttp://www.jhorman.org/wikidPad/
App Version Reviewed1.9 beta 14
Test System SpecsDesktop: PentiumD 2.8 / 2Gb / WinXP Pro SP2
Supported OSesWindows All; Linux (see notes); MacOS
Support MethodsYahoo!Group;Google Dev Group
Upgrade PolicyWikidPad is an Open Source Project (since June 2005) and all upgrades are free.
Pricing SchemeOpen Source BSD License
Author Donation LinkThere is a PayPal donation link on their WebPage.
Disclaimers:I have no relationship with any of the authors of this product, (except enjoyment over using their software) and have received no compensation for this review in any way.

Intro:

WikidPad is a Wiki-like notebook for storing your thoughts, ideas, todo lists, contacts, or anything else you can think of to write down.

In fact, it's even good for writing reviews! This review was written in WikidPad and I hope this demonstrates some of the neat functionality that I think sets WikidPad apart as, what I describe as, a Thought Processor.

Screenshot - 29_01_2008 , 9_28_58 PM.pngWikidPad - an IDE for your thoughts

One of the things that make wikidPad different from other notepad type applications is the speed and ease with which you can cross link your information. Links in a wiki are created by typing in WikiWords using CamelCase; cross links can also be created by using keywords.

WikidPad has a choice of database back ends to use and is also portable.

It is still under active development and went Open Source in June 2005.

User Interface
WikidPad has two viewing formats: Editor and Preview (which is an HTML preview).

Editor:
Screenshot - 29_01_2008 , 9_42_21 PM.pngWikidPad - an IDE for your thoughts

Preview:
Screenshot - 29_01_2008 , 9_42_52 PM.pngWikidPad - an IDE for your thoughts

Who is WikidPad designed for:

Anyone writing or collecting words that wants to process or access them.

WikidPad is "Super Flexible" and can do almost anything with text, which is not meant to say that it's the best tool for everything.

WikidPad also has a scripting interface, so it may also be of benefit to developers who want to bend it to do their personal will.

Personally though, the main advantage of WikidPad is its ability to help "Thought Development". I've searched for many, many years for some software that is able to work with me and help me develop my thoughts, ideas, etc: WikidPad is the closest to a good match I've ever come across! That is probably why it's mentioned on mind-mapping.org.

The Good
I've based these comments around its main asset: its ability to help develop and use my thoughts.

To help me 'think'
  • On the fly WikiWord linking: Just so easy-peasy and quick! Just type a CamelCase word or enclose some text in square brackets and access the new page with a keyboard shortcut and keep typing.
  • Dynamic Views: (Keyword lists): A fast way to tag, re-tag, class and sub-class pages.
  • Attributes: Typed-in Attribute-Value pairs: flexibility to the max!
  • Outlining
  • Rename WikiWord: If your WikidPad page is a thought, it often wants to change its title during its development. Rename renames the page and all links to that page.
  • Page Inserts: Reuse the contents of wikipages in other pages.
  • Convert to WikiWord: A great time saver when your original thought has developed into a couple of separate sections and you want to export them to their own page.
  • WikiWord Auto-Completion: Great when you have heaps of pages! You can also drag and drop a page from the Tree to the editor.
  • Easy WikiWord Navigation: double click or CTRL+Click or keyboard shortcut.
  • History Navigation: standard Back and Forward, great for zipping around your thoughts.

To help me find stuff
Once you've got your thoughts down and developed, you'll want to find them again...

Document Tree:
The document tree not only lists the WikidPad Pages in hierarchical order, it also has some dynamically generated views.

Screenshot - 29_01_2008 , 11_20_53 PM.pngWikidPad - an IDE for your thoughts

Views:
  • Special Keywords: (Todo, Question, Action, Track, Issue, Project, Done) all support sub-categories. In my example above, I have todo.annoyance and todo.features as well as a plain old todo.
  • Modified Date Range: helpful when you've forgotten where you wrote something but remember when
  • Parentless Nodes: These nodes may be Insertions, or they may have just been orphaned.
  • Undefined Nodes: These are WikidWords that have not yet been created.

Incremental Search
Incremental Search allows you to search and display based on content or title:

Screenshot - 29_01_2008 , 10_52_19 PM.pngWikidPad - an IDE for your thoughts

To help me stay 'connected'
  • Portable: this is of great benefit at work where I can't install anything on my workstation!
  • Export to HTML: Whole Wiki or just a branch.
  • All your data can be stored in plain text, which also means it can be searched by a desktop search application.
  • URL and file linking

Needs improvement
Text wrapping does not indent the wrapped lines:

Screenshot - 30_01_2008 , 10_24_50 PM.pngWikidPad - an IDE for your thoughts

The above indicates the mess that is generated when the indented list contains paragraphs rather than just lines (Mind you, this isn't the only application that doesn't wrap indented).

The list management is a trifle fluky: adding numbered list items only really works from the last item.

After reading the very mixed reviews on FileForum I nearly didn't have a look at this programme, but I guess the penny isn't dropping for a lot of people. And that is probably one of the areas that needs attention: user guides. The web page is one page with one screenshot for goodness sake! Doesn't even come close to doing it justice.

Why I think you should use this product
Idea Development
WikidPad lets the genesis of an idea start anywhere, develop into any number of directions, and link to anything; and then pull it all together using various textual "strings" (excuse the intended pun).

What do I mean by that?? As is standard in all Wikis, the linking between documents is not hierarchical based, so each topic can link across to any other topic (i.e. more of a network). Wikis are pretty much free form linking of information. When this is implemented at the idea generation stage it provides a powerful medium to not just record information but process, link, develop your ideas. WikidPad achieves this in a very non-structured way.

As the ideas develop questions can be posed, issues raised, and the ideas moved to their own pages.

As questions are answered, they can be added and the ideas classified using attributes.

WikidPad provides this functionality in a responsive programme that is wonderful easy to use.

Dynamic Views
WikidPad has several dynamic views that make processing and viewing of your thoughts an intuitive process.

Special keywords are used to define items such as todo, done, action, track, issue, question, project.

Screenshot - 29_01_2008 , 10_20_54 PM.pngWikidPad - an IDE for your thoughts

As the ideas develop and change, the attributes and keywords can be changed accordingly, sub-classed at will, which will present a different view of your project.

It's not too suited for keeping of static data (there's even is a note in the help file not to edit the help file, which is a WikidPad!!) Although, it could be handy to add some personal usage notes there all the same  :)

Ability to be Customised
Each Wiki can have its own set of display definitions that are easily edited within the wiki itself. The TreeView can have its icon, text colour, weight, etc which can be changed on the fly!

The whole application is also able to be extended with Python scripts, there are some available at http://wikidpad.pyth...ki/ListOfUserScripts

I'll have to dust off my Python books and have a hack...

Technically, there's probably not a lot that couldn't be done (whether it was a good idea or not is another issue...)

For example, there are scripts to turn it into a GTD application. Personally, I'm happy with ThinkingRock for that task (I like the structure in that environment), but I can see where WikidPad would have some benefits (it's very loose).

How does it compare to similar applications

Similar:
ZuluPad
I think I fiddled with ZuluPad a wee while ago, but obviously not long enough for it to make an impact. There is a DonationCoder Review in which Carl gives it a big wrap, so it must be OK. From memory, I wasn't taken with its interface.

TiddlyWiki
(and variants): I really loved TiddlyWiki and enjoyed the whole concept, but found it a little too slow in practice.

Not So Similar:
SurfuLater. I'm a long term SurfuLater user and lover. These two applications are not trying to do the same thing. SurfuLater is a much more structured environment (which is great), WikidPad just goes with your flow wherever it may run...

Conclusions

I've almost become a true believer in WikidPad, although not to the point of keeping everything in there (though it may start in there before being moved somewhere else).

WikidPad offers a responsive application that is able to harness and help develop ideas into a structured network that is easy to explore and make sense of: it really is an IDE for your thoughts (at least if you think like me  ;) )

Links to other reviews of this application

Other interesting 'word' links
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 07:50 AM by Perry Mowbray »

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: WikidPad - an IDE for your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 07:38 AM »
Thanks for that Perry I'm always very excited about working with ideas and tools that facilitating creating things quickly and your review has inspired me to try it out. Things like outliners, jotters and sketching software can be improved so much and stop the machine from getting in the way.

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 07:40 AM »
Great mini-review - very comprehensive.  :Thmbsup:

I've been using Wikidpad on an off since it emerged. I'd have to agree that the weakest area is the lack of easy to digest documentation, and examples of real world use.

The GTD script looks interesting, but I remember seeing it a year ago (or more) and it hasn't been updated for newer versions of the application (AFAIK); plus the thread is a mess of different hacks and suggestions that is far too cumbersome for the average user to impliment.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 08:00 AM »
Thanks guys: my first mini-review... I think I should have shrunk the graphics a little :-[?

Rats: I just realised I was going to include KeyNote as a similar software (which is the other application I use for notes), Oh well.

Actually, Version 1.9b15 has just been released as well...

@Justice: Can't agree more (machine getting in the way): which is where I've found WikidPad to excel (though it did take a bit of time for the penny to drop).

@Ampa: I was so surprised when I realised that I'd missed it for so long!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 04:13 AM »
sounds great Perry (great review I mean too :Thmbsup:)

Looking forward to installing it this evening, thanks!
Tom

tamasd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 07:01 AM »
That's GREAT review!
One similar app is ConnectedText. I have chosen it over Wikidpad mostly because I wanted web export, and didn't want CamelCase, but regular space between words in exported html.
ConnectedText supports other scripting languages as well, besides Python, through Windows ActiveScripting. So you can have Ruby, Perl, etc. And it has plugins - I use CT to store code snippets, and it comes with Highlight plugin so my Ruby code is nicely highlighted. There is also TeX plugin and some graph plugins - just enter some data and graph is created on the fly.
If Wikidpad didn't insist on CamelCase, I would have used it now, but ended with CT instead and I'm happy with it as well.

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 07:26 AM »
...I wanted web export, and didn't want CamelCase, but regular space between words in exported html.

I don't see why you can't achieve both things in Wikid Pad...

If I create a wiki-link as [my link with spaces] then it links to a new page called my link with spaces.

And then export via File > Export > Single HTML page or Set of  HTML pages

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 07:33 AM »
That's GREAT review!

Thanks  :Thmbsup:

One similar app is ConnectedText.

I think you've just jogged my memory, I have looked at ConnectedText previously but never downloaded and tried it.

It's an impressive website! Beats WikidPad's hands down!!  :'(

It's also US$30 plus US$68 for an additional USB license! It would want to be good  :huh:

I have chosen it over Wikidpad mostly because I wanted web export, and didn't want CamelCase, but regular space between words in exported html.
ConnectedText supports other scripting languages as well, besides Python, through Windows ActiveScripting. So you can have Ruby, Perl, etc. And it has plugins - I use CT to store code snippets, and it comes with Highlight plugin so my Ruby code is nicely highlighted.

That certainly sounds impressive.

There is also TeX plugin and some graph plugins - just enter some data and graph is created on the fly.

WikidPad also supports some graphics generation:
WikidPad allows access to some graphical applications which take some sort of script to generate images. You can include the script in a wiki and let the applications generate the appropriate image to show it in HTML preview and export.

The supported applications are:
  •     MimeTeX to generate mathematical formulas
  •     GraphViz which is a set of applications to generate directed and nondirected graphs
  •     Ploticus to generate plots and charts (as you might have seen in your favorite spreadsheet program)
  •     Gnuplot to generate mathematical plots
-WikidPad Help

But I have not played with it (so didn't mention it  :-[)

If Wikidpad didn't insist on CamelCase, I would have used it now, but ended with CT instead and I'm happy with it as well.

You can enclose your text with square brackets to Wikify them:
[This will be a Wikified link]

In WikidPad the keyboard shortcut is CNTRL+J, for example:
Editor:
Screenshot - 1_02_2008 , 12_20_19 AM.png

HTML:
Screenshot - 1_02_2008 , 12_20_52 AM.png

Thanks for reminding me of ConnectedText (did you find both programmes similar to use?)

edit: Added ConnectedText purchase price
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 08:02 AM by Perry Mowbray »

e712

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 03:10 PM »
Reviews and software recommendations are the reason I became a member. Please consider doing more of them.

I downloaded and tried WikiPad and I tried some others as well. I've decided that outlining is not for me as a writer.  I do use the outline view of msWord occasionally and that will have to do for now. I have had the same experience with mind mappers and literate programming utilities -- I cannot compose at the speed of thought. Paper and pencil mindmapping, when brainstorming, is faster.

Perhaps what I need is a tutorial on using a software outliner. For example, msOutlook did not replace my paper PIM until I read the Getting-Things-Done book. I had to change my work habits slightly, but it was worth it.

Thanks again for your great work.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 04:19 PM »
I downloaded and tried WikiPad and I tried some others as well. I've decided that outlining is not for me as a writer.
If you tried it and it doesn't fit your mindset, that's fine. But for the benefit of others reading, I feel compelled to point out that WikidPad is not an outliner. Actually, I imagine that some wiki purists would be aghast at such an implication.

WikidPad uses a tree control, typical of outliners, to show the set of links radiating out from a given page. This shouldn't be interpreted as a representation of the wiki's informational structure. It's really just a navigational shortcut.

In data structures terms a wiki is a directed graph. It has (potentially) many incoming links to each page and many outgoing links. In an outline, a given node can only have one incoming link -- its parent. But a wiki allows any node (page) that relates to another to offer a link to it, leading eventually to a very densely packed structure.

Perhaps more importantly, if you're consistent about the way you name things in a wiki, you'll find that the interconnectedness arises all on its own. You don't need to intentionally create a link; the link manifests itself based on the usage of similar terms.

It's very gratifying when working in a wiki to discover that you've already done something that you forgot about. As you're describing a related concept leading up to another page, you find that the link is already populated; simply by thinking descriptively and consistently, you've created a knowledge web that not only holds together, but reinforces itself.

On the other hand, don't get me started on the crappiness of rich text editing in most wikis. It's worse than dismal. WikidPad is probably better than average in this regard, but that is a very low bar to clear.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 04:47 PM »
can someone help me get going here!! (as said earlier I've no wiki experience :( so far)
-
I've created a new wiki
currently there's "WikiSettings" as a link in there

eh, do I just start typing or what :tellme:
help is alphabetical which might be helpful to someone but it's no quick-start-guide :D

I understand the basics of linking (I think) but dont understand how info is displayed -
are there different "notes" or "pages" - if so how do i create a new one?

thanks,
Tom
[edit] under plugins ;D I found "create new page" - I guess that's it ??
Tom
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 04:50 PM by tomos »

tamasd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 04:56 PM »
My bad, I didn't know that CamelCase is not the only way in Wikidpad. Thank you for correcting me.
The plugins list of Wikidpad is similar to what ConnectedText offers, another plus for Wikidpad.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 09:38 PM »
can someone help me get going here!! (as said earlier I've no wiki experience :( so far)

OK, I'll attach a very quick wink of some editing in WikidPad. You basically just
1. Type your thoughts
2. Select the word/s that you want to become a link to a new page
3. CamelCase them or surround with square brackets (which will turn them into a link)
4. Access the link by double click (which will take you to a new page)
5. go to #1 and start typing again (if you think that's cyclic, wait till you see the wink  ;))

Here's a flash of the process (If you open it in your browser it'll work):
* WikidPad.swf (2599.49 kB. 39x28 - viewed 872 times.)

BTW: Can you insert inline flash here??  :-\
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 10:01 PM by Perry Mowbray »

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 10:10 PM »
I downloaded and tried WikiPad and I tried some others as well. I've decided that outlining is not for me as a writer.
If you tried it and it doesn't fit your mindset, that's fine. But for the benefit of others reading, I feel compelled to point out that WikidPad is not an outliner. Actually, I imagine that some wiki purists would be aghast at such an implication.

WikidPad uses a tree control, typical of outliners, to show the set of links radiating out from a given page. This shouldn't be interpreted as a representation of the wiki's informational structure. It's really just a navigational shortcut.

In data structures terms a wiki is a directed graph. It has (potentially) many incoming links to each page and many outgoing links. In an outline, a given node can only have one incoming link -- its parent. But a wiki allows any node (page) that relates to another to offer a link to it, leading eventually to a very densely packed structure.

Perhaps more importantly, if you're consistent about the way you name things in a wiki, you'll find that the interconnectedness arises all on its own. You don't need to intentionally create a link; the link manifests itself based on the usage of similar terms.

:Thmbsup: Thanks for that: very well said!! ConnectedText has a map like navigation pane that possibly demonstrates the structure more accurately.

gr3.pngWikidPad - an IDE for your thoughts

It's very gratifying when working in a wiki to discover that you've already done something that you forgot about. As you're describing a related concept leading up to another page, you find that the link is already populated; simply by thinking descriptively and consistently, you've created a knowledge web that not only holds together, but reinforces itself.

Very true! In my short time using WikidPad I've found that WikiPageName Completion is very useful... if your naming is consistent.

e712

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Apologies: WikiPad is not an outliner
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 01:20 AM »
My apologies for any offense taken by my referring to WikiPad as an outliner.  I plead ignorance. I can barely tell the differences among text editors, word processions, and layout programs.  I'm so dull--I knew what CamelCase meant (after I Googled it)--but it took me three days to realize why the "Camel" is in CamelCase.   

Yes, it is the case that my work habits are preventing me from understanding how WikiPad can help me compose two to ten page business reports. I would like to know what work habits _do_ work with WikiPad. I am starting a thread asking this in a more appropriate place. 

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 04:43 AM »
OK, I'll attach a very quick wink of some editing in WikidPad. You basically just
1. Type your thoughts
2. Select the word/s that you want to become a link to a new page
3. CamelCase them or surround with square brackets (which will turn them into a link)
4. Access the link by double click (which will take you to a new page)
5. go to #1 and start typing again (if you think that's cyclic, wait till you see the wink  ;))
Perry: you're a star

Will go off now to find the infinite loop :)

Tom

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 05:44 AM »
My apologies for any offense taken by my referring to WikiPad as an outliner. 

No offence taken  :Thmbsup: WikidPad does Outline... it's just that that is such a small part of its capabilities.

Rhutobello

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 06:06 AM »
My apologies for any offense taken by my referring to WikiPad as an outliner. 

Have you tried out this free program? 
http://www.spacejock...riter4_Download.html

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 12:03 PM »
Wikipad has grown steadily without comprimising speed and usability. I use it everyday without any drawbacks. It has a lot of neat ideas and functionalities. It has clipboard catcher with image support, multiple database types, speacial views, todos, anchors, icon support. Actually list is too long. It is just a different kind of program that may not fit either in text editor or note taking groups.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 12:45 PM »
Have to say this was a great tip, I'm still using WikidPad to access shared information between work and home via Jungledisk (amazon s3) and it never fails to deliver.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 08:37 AM »
Have to say this was a great tip, I'm still using WikidPad to access shared information between work and home via Jungledisk (amazon s3) and it never fails to deliver.

That's good to hear. I generally run mine off a USB between home and work.

One thing that I have not quite figured out is that when something pops into my head that I want to catch WikidPad invariably is not yet running, so starting, finding a spot etc takes a bit too long. I know I should have it running anyway really  :-[

What I think I want is something in the tray that can capture my thought quickly, run the programme if needed and then stick it into the Scratch Pad for later? I'll probably have a fiddle with AutoIT...

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 09:28 AM »
Use farr to launch wikidpad if you can this launches fastest.
Add your current start page as a new tab.
Change the first tab to scratchpad
Close down wikidpad

Now whenever you open it theoretically it should open on the scratch pad tab. Unfortunately it's not possible AFAIK to "pin/lock" a tab to stop it from changing page.

Maybe with a small autohotkey script an input box could pop up where you can write something in and copy it directly to clipboard, then you can start wikidpad afterwards and paste it in. see below
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 10:00 AM by justice »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 09:52 AM »
Ok let me tip you

I made this simple ahk script. It works great for me. Just modify the capitals for your files. This will activate wikipad if it has been opened if not it will open and activate it for you. It is using "win+w" combination. Make sure that shortcut is not conflicting with other softwares.

Second, I do not use scratch pad at all. I have daily record wikipage I use to put random bits, I use dated headline and type. If the info is more then a line I use a page. In that sense I use ctrl+o shortcut. If there is similar Wikipad will bring it if not it will create a new page. It works blazing fast for me.

Also I use launchy to launch notepad with a file pointing to my wikipad file that would create new file with with a title I give in launchy command window. But that requires to rebuild the database inside Wiki constantly, since it wont detect the file.

;xxxWikipadxx

#IfWinExist PUT TITLE OF YOUR WIKIPAD FILE
{

#w::WinActivate   

}

#IfWinNotExist PUT TITLE OF YOUR WIKIPAD FILE
{
#w::
run "PATH TO WIKIPAD.EXE"
WinActivate
Return
}

That's good to hear. I generally run mine off a USB between home and work.

One thing that I have not quite figured out is that when something pops into my head that I want to catch WikidPad invariably is not yet running, so starting, finding a spot etc takes a bit too long. I know I should have it running anyway really  :-[

What I think I want is something in the tray that can capture my thought quickly, run the programme if needed and then stick it into the Scratch Pad for later? I'll probably have a fiddle with AutoIT...
-Perry Mowbray (April 02, 2008, 08:37 AM)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 09:56 AM by kartal »

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 09:58 AM »
That was easier than i thought. Find enclosed WikidJotter
Press the hotkey (win-j) and it will ask for your idea, then copy it to clipboard and run wikidpad
Source included if you want to change hotkey, adjust path to wikidpad or run something else or whatever.
Comes under the WTFPL (http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/)

v2 activates wikidpad if it's open it instead of launching a new copy

source
Code: Autohotkey [Select]
  1. ; WikidJot
  2. #NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
  3. SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
  4. SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.
  6. #j::  ; Win+j hotkey
  7. Gui, Add, Text,, Enter note:
  8. Gui, Add, Edit, r9 w400 vClip
  9. Gui, Add, Button,gButtonOK, &Copy to Clipboard  ; The label ButtonOK (if it exists) will be run when the button is pressed.
  10. Gui, Show,, ClipJotter
  11. return  ; End of auto-execute section. The script is idle until the user does something.
  12. return
  14. ButtonOK:
  15. Gui, Submit  ; Save the input from the user to each control's associated variable.
  16. clipboard = %Clip%  ; Append some text to the clipboard.
  18. ; run wikidpad or switch to it
  19. IfWinNotExist, - WikidPad
  20. {
  21.         Run, %A_ProgramFiles%\Wikidpad\Wikidpad.exe   ; comment this line if you dont want wikidpadto run
  22.         WinWait, - WikidPad, , 5
  23. }
  24. WinActivate, - WikidPad

« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 10:15 AM by justice »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 10:08 AM »
Also in the latest beta you can copy any topic`s url to clipboard which then you can use it to launch that particular page from farr, launcy or explorer.