topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: WordWeb  (Read 23693 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: WordWeb
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 08:56 AM »
I like the software version too.

But if I had a grand to blow I'd rather spend it on the 60 volume Great Books of the Western World collection put out out by Encyclopedia Britannica. I've read a little over half of them. I intend to read them all before I'm in my dotage.  :)

That or save up the additional $400-$500 and get the encyclopedia itself.  ;D
Well, of course!  He had that entire set long before he got the dictionary!  Cmon now...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 09:44 AM »

But if I had a grand to blow I'd rather spend it on the 60 volume Great Books of the Western World collection put out out by Encyclopedia Britannica. I've read a little over half of them. I intend to read them all before I'm in my dotage.  :)

Well, of course!  He had that entire set long before he got the dictionary!  Cmon now...

He had the entire set?  (40hz surpresses a rare twinge of envy. ;D )

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 11:42 AM »

$1,000? Any interest in the full set my parents had in their last yard-sale? It was printed back in the early 70's ... But I'd wager at least half of it's still right...
 :D

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 12:15 PM »

It's great!  I remember while writing our books, that I noticed Faraday's journal was considered a Great Book.  And reading it, it is!  It was fascinating to hear how he went about his experiments.  I was expecting it to be more technical and boring, but it was actually philosophical and real juicy.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 03:37 PM »
For the uninitiated - what are ye on about with "writing books" ??

...while writing our books...
...our entire Freshman year was spent reading and writing about 40 great books from that program...

and (with apologies) are these "Great Books" simply a bunch of books that they republished?

Tom

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2011, 03:46 PM »
For the uninitiated - what are ye on about with "writing books" ??

...while writing our books...
...our entire Freshman year was spent reading and writing about 40 great books from that program...

and (with apologies) are these "Great Books" simply a bunch of books that they republished?
The books are republished.  So if you already have them individually, they would be redundant (except for forewards, introductions, etc.).  Or, in the case of Homer's stuff, you may have a particular favorite translation.  The benefit of the collection is that the books are all the same size, shape, colors, etc., so it makes for a nice library display item, if that's something you like.

As for my books, my friend and I started a small business last year writing some books, practice tests, etc. for engineers seeking a license:
http://www.compleximaginary.com/

We plan on writing more things as we hone our skills.  Hopefully, more entertaining things in the future, and not so practical.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2011, 03:34 AM »
As for my books, my friend and I started a small business last year writing some books, practice tests, etc. for engineers seeking a license:

ah, okay - I thought you and Zaine were talking about the same 'writing' thing -
Your site & books look really good :up:
Tom

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2011, 10:29 AM »

ah, okay - I thought you and Zaine were talking about the same 'writing' thing -
Your site & books look really good :up:
Thanks!  I appreciate it.