topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Hack your cooking with Christopher Kimball  (Read 5337 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Hack your cooking with Christopher Kimball
« on: January 05, 2008, 01:19 AM »
I've recently caught a little bit of a cooking bug.

But as enjoyable as the cooking is, i'm more of a reader than a do-er, and i'm really truly loving reading Christopher Kimball's books.  Basically he takes an experimentalist/scientific approach to these things.

He analyzes and compares ingredient/temperature/method variations as if he was looking for the cure to pneumonia.  It's really fun to read about him analyzing minuscule changes and the effects they have.  You also learn a ton about why recipes tell you to do different things.  Very fun reading.. I almost feel like i don't have to do the cooking after reading him talk about it.

031013_AmericasTestKitchens.jpg

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Hack your cooking with Christopher Kimball
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 01:34 AM »
One of the many things I like about being a guest in Cody's home is that you never know what one will be provoked to look into next.  :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 10:26 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 04:35 AM »
Hum, this reminds me of a tv programme a friend of mine saw (alas I missed it! :( )and we talked about subsequently; I think the title was something like "molecular cooking", they basically identified the exact temperatures needed to start the chemical/molecular changes, like doing long-time low-heat cooking of meat, followed by a very short ultra-hot fry to kill the bacteria on the outside of the meat (obviously this kind of cooking is not good for minced meat!).

Sounded very interesting, even though not very practical for your everyday cooking :)
- carpe noctem

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 02:53 PM »
Yeah, I knew I heard that "molecular cooking" somewhere... one of the followers is from Spain, Ferran AdriĆ”. Forget about applying their methods to a full meal, anyway :)