topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Acronis True Image  (Read 14616 times)

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Acronis True Image
« on: December 25, 2007, 03:50 PM »
http://tinyurl.com/yr83pt

I don't think I've ever seen it cheaper.

------------

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Acronis True Image
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 07:19 PM »
http://tinyurl.com/yr83pt

I don't think I've ever seen it cheaper.

------------

Unfortunately, you need to be a subscriber to their newsletter to get the deal.

Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 08:09 PM »
We can do that!
See if you can subscribe using this link.........

https://secure.neweg...NewsLetterSignUp.asp

8)

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 08:21 PM »
Here's a link for DealNews email alerts or their RSS feed. I subscribe to both year around, not just for the holidays.

http://tinyurl.com/36ddyp

----- :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 11:31 AM »
Thanks for the link, Cuffy. I note that they do offer the occasional downloadable offer, too  :Thmbsup: Also, Nero 7 appears to be on offer as well (from earlier this year but seems current) for as little as $0!

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 12:34 PM »
I commented about Nero 7 in the post titled Nero 6 in this same section. I purchased Nero 7 for about $5 several months ago and must report that it isn't worth it's shipping cost in my opinion.
I'm a big fan of Nero and have used it for several years so when version 7 hit the street for $5 ??? or so, I jumped.
Bad move!
I installed it and almost immediately discovered the error of my ways. I repented by uninstalling it and reverting to Nero 6.
I've been watching for a deal on version 8 but all reports I've seen are that v8 is a disappointment. I'm still recommending Nero 6 (see previous post Nero 6). With the free downloads of the various updates for v6 you can do about anything you can imagine and more. Most of Nero 6 I haven't even installed! YMMV

;D

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 12:37 PM »
Well, Nero 7 is pretty good as long as you select "Custom Install" ;D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 12:49 PM »
I commented about Nero 7 in the post titled Nero 6 in this same section.... ;D

Ah... so you did! I've never tried Nero so wasn't actually aware that version 7 is problematic, let alone that version 8 is out!

Thanks again for posting the link, Cuffy  :)

What bits of Nero 7 should one avoid installing, Lashiec?

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 01:02 PM »
Everything except StartSmart (the central interface) and Nero Express (the former Nero Burning ROM). Take a look at the other components, but in my opinion you're only getting bloat unrelated to disc burning, which do their job worse than dedicated applications.

You can also install Tools, if you feel like scanning your discs for defects, doing speeds tests, and finding out if your burner does good discs or not.

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 01:19 PM »
Your comments about v7 piqued my curiosity so I took another look at Nero 7 at Nero.com.
I didn't have v7 installed long enough to update it but here are the numbers from the site.......

More Details
Version7.10.1.2
Release Date2007-10-10
File Size332 MB (348462592 bytes)
MD5 checksumc1dd1dd32180e7608c05aabcbe582d1a

I'm wondering if I should reinstall v7 and apply the update?  ;D

Maybe combining parts of v6 and v7 would give me a better product?
I'll check if I didn't trash the CD for v7! Stay tuned  8)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 01:22 PM »
Hold your horses! How old is your copy of Nero 7? If it's very old, I suggest you get this "update" (it's the full version, actually), and use your code with it. Nero made some software additions during Nero 7 lifecycle, so you could end up getting extra applications with the update, just because they weren't present in the first installation (it happened to me the first time).

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 01:51 PM »
Yup! You nailed it!
The CD I bought for $5 ??? is Nero 7 Essentials and is part of a bundle. It contains Suite 1 and Photoshow, an acre of cab files and a serial number.
Guess I could go shopping for bargains while that 332mb download comes in......... ;D
Not sure I have much to gain except smarts but at my current hourly rate the price seems about right.
Again, stay tuned  :)
That CD, Nero 7 Essentials may be worth the pittance they're charging for it if you don't mind the 332mb download to get the balance of the suite.
I'll be baack!

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 02:27 PM »
Nero Express isn't Nero Burning ROM - it is a reduced functionality version.

If you want a minimal install of Nero just go for the Burning ROM and ignore everything else. For a minimal Install Smart Start is a waste of time as it only acts as a front end to load Nero apps (OK it can check for updates - but I prefer to do that manually).

For me Nero ImageDrive is useful tool (and accessible via the Control Panel).

Having said all that I very rarely use Nero these days - I mostly use ImgBurn and Ashampoo Burning Studio.

Ever since Nero started including video and photo apps, media players etc. it really has become a buggy jack of all trades and master of none. I wish they would divorce all the media stuff and sell the burning rom app as a standalone package. As it is I guess they are losing a lot of their older customers. I certainly won't upgrade to version 8 (and regret coughing up for version 7 at the time). The only thing that new versions can possibly justify is better hardware support etc. but since I am still using basic ATAPI DVD drives there isn't much to gain in Blu-RAY and HD-DVD support and anyway extending support is done much cheaper elsewhere as you don't have to buy all the media rubbish again.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 02:30 PM by Carol Haynes »

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 04:26 PM »
I'm back!
The 332mb download is the Nero 7 Demo/Trial.
I tried to open the downloaded file with IZarc (SFX ???--- nope) so punched the .exe. I missed any options presented about what I wanted to install so it proceeded to uninstall Nero 6 (an option) and install all of Nero 7.
As a demo it fully installed, including a serial number. The demo expires in about ten days but you're presented with an opportunity to insert the serial number from your CD, which I did, it offered to check for updates, which I approved, none were available, so now I'm up and running with everything included in the Nero 7 package.
Nero Burning Rom is probably all I'll ever use but I can play with the rest of the features it offers.

That Nero 7 cd that's floating around for cheap contains a serial number that works here so unless it's so buggy it's unusable it appears to be one helluva deal.
I'll report any bugs I find to the forum.

BigJim, you might suggest this to your friend with the photo problems. It might be the cheapest and easiest solution to the problem, especially if you and I forego any commissions that may be due.   8)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 05:11 PM »
The funny thing about Nero 7 Essentials is that it brings along the kitchen sink BUT it does not bundle Nero Image Drive <_<, the guys over at Nero must think Nero Showtime or Nero Photocrap is more important for discs burning that an utility to mount disc images. I suppose the full Nero 7 does have it, but what else does that version have over Essentials if this one installs over 1.5 GB of files if you don't choose the Custom Install?

BTW, if anyone gets Nero 8, you should install only Nero Express. Apparently Nero thought they know better than Microsoft, and they redesigned Nero StartSmart to be almost an entire OS, or that's what it seems from a "review" I read a while ago, complete with RSS feeds and everything.

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 06:02 PM »
Just checked the Nero folder. Nero 7 installs 470mb and much of it irrelavent, immaterial, redundant, unnecessary and beside the damned point!
The only thing showing in add/remove is Nero. The only uninstall I can find is UNNERO.exe?

A reinstall seems essential if space becomes a problem.

NOTE: Nero's proprietary format for saving compilations is .ng 
The compilation is a simple .iso file and you can change the .ng extension to .iso and open the .iso in IZarc or any of the other apps used to handle .iso

NOTE 2: I like IZarc far better than Winzip and IZarc is freeware.

YMMV  :-[

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 02:35 AM »
Full Nero includes the full version of Burning ROM - AIUI Essentials only has Nero Express which isn't nearly as useful.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 06:59 PM »
Carol, what's the difference between Nero Express and Nero Burning ROM?

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2007, 07:28 PM »
I'm not Carol but this is what I found.

From the manual:

"1.3  Versions of Nero Burning ROM
Two different versions of Nero Burning ROM are available: 
Nero Burning ROM Retail and Nero Burning ROM Essentials.
The full Nero Burning ROM Retail version provides full functionality. 
Nero Burning ROM Essentials differs from the full version in the following ways: 
ƒ No crossfade for audio tracks (see Audio Track Properties window)
ƒ No virus scanner (see Updating the virus scanner)
ƒ No simultaneous burning with multiple recorders (see Burn tab for example.)
ƒ No plug-ins" 

Pay full retail and you get crossfade, virus scan, etc,
As far as I can tell the actual burning process is exactly the same.
YMMV
 :huh:

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2007, 07:31 PM »
Duh, nothing interesting. Lack of plugins gets easily fixed by foobar2000 Nero plugin. I only have one burner, I don't see the point in the virus scanner (does it bring one of its own?) and crossfading... for burning? That would destroy the original layout and sound of an album!

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2007, 07:59 PM »
Yup, we're on the same track here!

As I posted previously I installed v7 and installed all of it.
Add/Remove uninstalls ALL of it!

I went into Windows Explorer/Program files (x86)/Nero........... Added a number to the folder name for each function I didn't want, effectively hiding the functions from SmartStart.
SmartStart opened as usual WITHOUT showing the functions I renamed. I burned a Test.iso in Image Recorder which opens fine and looks perfectly normal in IZarc Archiver.
I intend to play with this setup for several days and if no ill effects surface I will then delete those folders that I renamed.
If they don't load and aren't missed deletion may work as well as an uninstall, which I don't have. I have renamed twelve folders, added 1 through 12 to folder names. I think they can go??? ;)
YMMV

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2007, 09:02 PM »
Just found more on Nero 7, what it includes, what it don't, what it costs and it's post paid from this outfit.

http://tinyurl.com/2xwaa7

:o

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2007, 04:39 AM »
So according to that link (and the feature grid at the bottom) Nero Essentials doesn't include any version of Burning ROM. Which is what I understood.

There is a version of Burning ROM Essentials but it doesn't seem to be included in that package - and I don't know where you can find that.

BurningROM is the traditional version of Nero which gives lots of control over formats used and file layout. AFAICS it is the pretty much the original Nero when it was just a good quality burning application which has been updated for new hardware and a few bugs ironed out.

Nero Express is wizard based and isn't nearly as flexible. It uses default settings for most things - if you want to change anything you have to use Burning ROM.

In the full version of Nero lots of projects that you start in Nero Express force you into the full Burning ROM application because Express doesn't do it.

I can't be specific because I no longer have Express installed as the only parts of Nero I find useful are Bruning ROM and Drive Image - neither of which are available in Essentials.

Wait I found the Nero Express helpfile:

Nero Express provides all the performance and efficiency of Nero Burning ROM with a simplified user interface. Whether you are a beginner or an expert, Nero Express guides you quickly and easily through your desired burning tasks. The default settings are selected to automatically achieve best results. Using the program is remarkably easy: simply select the object to be burned, add the files, and start burning.

also:

Versions of Nero Express
Nero Express is available in three different versions: Nero Express, Nero Express Essentials, and Nero Express Essentials SE.

Nero Express and Nero Express Essentials offer the full range of functions, only Nero Express Essentials SE does not offer the following functions:

Unrestricted encoding in Nero Digital Audio format
Creating and burning Super Video CDs (see Compiling Video CDs/Super Video CDs)
Linking to Nero CoverDesigner (see Extended area (start screen))
Saving audio files (see Copying Audio CD tracks)
Erasing rewritable CDs/DVDs (see Erasing a disc)
Retrieving disc information (see Extended area (start screen))
Creating labels with LightScribe® (not included in standard functionality, see LightScribe®)
Creating labels with LabelFlash™ (not included in standard functionality, see LabelFlash™)
Burn SecurDisc™ data CD's/DVD's with SecurDisc™ (not included in the standard features by default, see SecurDisc™ Settings)

So Nero Express Essentials isn't the same as Burning ROM with a few bits missing it is a reduced version of Express.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 04:43 AM by Carol Haynes »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2007, 08:40 AM »
with Burning Rom you have much more control :)
I had Nero 5.5 (full) but it came with CD Burner/computer & wouldnt work with new drive when old one gave up

New drive came with Express 6 - it works well and all that but
what I personally miss is control over multisession burning which is minimal in Express & in free burning programmes too
But yeah,
Burning Rom had huge number of options,
with Express you choose what you want to do & that's it... :-\
Tom

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2007, 10:16 AM »
I worked with Burning ROM in the past, and even then I'm not missing any extra functionality from it. More the opposite, I'm glad options like the one from controlling filenames length (Joliet and all that) are gone, they always confused me, stick to the best option, and remove the other ones, nobody wants his/her filenames in 8.3 format. Or maybe I don't need too much control over CD burning, as long as it burns things like it should, it's enough.

The important thing is that it includes Nero Toolkit :D