topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Any web service for file storing?  (Read 13041 times)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Any web service for file storing?
« on: December 19, 2007, 12:41 PM »
Well, the problem is that I need a web service to store some files, nothing too heavy, the files don't amount more than 1 MB combined, but I need it to allow direct linking of the files (hotlinking), so that when you copy the address of the file and paste in a browser window, a download should start.

They recommended me FileDen, but it sucks, they're always running out of space (to this day, I couldn't upload a single file to my account) and the login process is performed in a fishy and weird way (basically, you log in, you go through a myriad of ads, and you found out you're not logged in until you click somewhere :huh:)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 04:13 PM by Lashiec »

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Any web service for file storing?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 12:58 PM »
If you have a static IP, why not set up www services on your PC (or another machine behind your firewall).  Then dump files into the inetpub folder.  Point your firewall/gateway's http traffic to your box, and the links will be something like http://yourdomain.org/filename.ext

You can set "browsing" on for web services, so that going to http://yourdomain.org without the rest of it they'll see a list of files to download, or turn it off so they have to know the exact link.

Is that something that might work for you?

a_lunatic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Fulltime Single Dad
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 12:59 PM »
Does your ISP provide you with any space with your connection ? all ISP's I have had do.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 01:51 PM »
Lashiec,

How big is the file? How long does it need to remain available? A week? A year? 20 years?

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 04:12 PM »
Ralf's option looks interesting, but I'm concerned about the security problems it could imply, not to mention setting up everything could be a bit tricky and too much work for a transfer that should last a few seconds. Not to mention I'd need to let the computer on as the transfer is done by a robot activated at any time in the other side.

Yes, the ISP provides web space, I'm still trying to find how to set it up :-[

tinjaw, they are various files which, as much, amount up to 1 MB, and it could be far less. Availability? A week should be the best option. Essentially, what I want is something like Photobucket or ImageShack, but for files :)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 04:33 PM »
Sounds like using your ISP-provided web space is the best solution. You FTP the files up and provide an HTTP link for people to download.

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 04:33 PM »
If this is a one-time deal, I'd be happy to offer an account on my ftp server.  The link would be ftp:// instead of http:// but IE doesn't care.

Let me know.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 04:35 PM »
http://www.makeuseof.com/dir/fileio/

I dont know a lot (well nothing really  :huh:) about file storing  ;D  But i did see the link above the other day which tells you about fileio.  Dont know if its of use to you, but its free, lasts for 30 days and up to 100mb.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 04:44 PM »
Yes, that's exactly what I want, many thanks Grorgy!

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 05:32 PM »
Have you seen this thread?

Good stuff there...

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 06:43 PM »
Thanks, but it seems that most services mentioned there involve some kind of key sent to the recipient, which is not what I want, it needs to be as transparent as possible, just like linked up to your own webspace. I'll content myself with FileIO for now, if it does not work, I'll let you know.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 06:51 PM by Lashiec »

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 11:36 AM »
Divshare.com

"Forever" storage, direct linking allowed.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 06:48 PM »
Ah, thanks, nosh! I'll give a try to that other one, as FileIO has turned out it has some peculiarities in its service that renders it unusable for what I need it to do. It's a terrific site, though, despite not being fully supported with Opera.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 08:29 PM »
Trust The Tinjaw. 8) Use your own webspace provided by your ISP. If you need help on how to do so, ask away!

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 10:44 PM »
There are certain things that are simply the best in their category.

Like Roboform for password management, FARR for launching apps, PS Tray Factory for managing the tray icons AND DivShare for storing & sharing files.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 03:47 AM »
Lashiec, do remember that you have to register first if you want to avail the permanent hosting benefit. You can upload and hotlink straight away without registering, but the files will be deleted after a few days.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 09:31 AM »
Yes, I did everything, but divShare is still no good. Looks like I better trust the tinjaw ;), and set up the webspace provided by the ISP. The site that will be getting the files is very strict in their rules towards naming and redirections, so the only thing that will work is personal webspace.

Apart from that, divShare performs wonderfully, so I'll bookmark it for when I need to send some files to friends. Much better than things like Rapidshare, and performs very much like PhotoBucket, which I love.

Well, problem solved. Thanks to everyone who posted their suggestions! :Thmbsup:

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 01:50 PM »
Update! Without looking for it, I found the ultimate solution, and as best things in life, it is not handled by a big company, but by a single guy, Matt Falcon, who was generous enough to set up a server at his home and share his connection with people all over the world just to let you upload and share worthless things with the rest of the Internet ;D

The site is Hostfile.org, and apart from a sensible set of rules to use the service, it lets you do everything and it's the closest thing to having your personal webspace without exactly having it. By the way, the guy is accepting donations, mostly to cover up hosting expenses, as he is no longer managing the service at home.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 01:52 PM by Lashiec »