topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Max Alert = Max Ripoff  (Read 15462 times)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Max Alert = Max Ripoff
« on: December 07, 2007, 09:52 PM »
  On 10/4/2006 I ordered Max Alert Registry Cleaner over the internet.  One year later it came up with a message stating that I had to register it and input a new registration number.  I attempted several times to do this but it only took me to a subscription page.  I didn't want to upgrade the program, just use the registry cleaner that I paid for.
  I contacted Max Alert's customer service and they told me that in order to continue using it I had to pay them again for a subscription.
  I read 3 reviews on this software, including on their own web site and there was no mention of a yearly subscription, in which I told them this.  They sent me a copy of an order page (not mine) showing at the very bottom was a blurb saying "This is one year subscription and Electronic delivery only".
  I never saw this on the order page, and find it very sneaky to put this on the order page to begin with, if it was indeed there.  I researched everything about this software before purchasing it, and even the reviews from other web sites didn't mention a subscription.  This software does not have to access their web site in order to run.
  If I had of seen this subscription notice I would have thought it would be for future updates, which I wouldn't be concerned about since it's only a registry cleaner and not an anti-virus or anti-spyware/malware program that has to be constantly updated and would require a subscription.
  These people are putting the screws to a lot of people, especially hiding the fact that it's a one year subscription service on the order page (if it existed in the first place) and not on the FAQ page.   :mad:

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Max Alert = Max Ripoff
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 10:24 PM »
there are tons of great free registry cleaners anyway, why you need to use this unknown cleaner?

i stopped using registry cleaners 5 years ago, they are not necessary.
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 11:56 PM »
I theenk, from reading Tinman's post, that he feels they changed the rules on him.  There's no guarantee that the FAQ on their site now is the same one that was up in 2006. 

In fact, Wayback Machine doesn't have any archives on the place prior to July 2007.  The FAQ may not have even existed when he bought the software.

Even so, the "purchase information" only states that it costs "$29.95 per copy" without mentioning a subscription.  You have to dig down farther in the FAQ to even see that, and it's deceptively labeled "How do I RENEW my license/subscription?"  The implication being that those customers who have opted for a subscription have an option to renew -- no mention that it's required.

So I think Tinman has a valid beef.  But even as deceptive as it is, legally there's not much recourse.  The only thing to be done now is what Tinman is already doing: spreading the word about his dissatisfaction.

Kimmchii, I hate to sound harsh, but it doesn't matter if you think it's silly he bought this software.  You've probably bought things somebody else thinks is stupid -- that's not the point.  Somebody spent money with a vendor and now feels ripped off.  I wish there was more to be done, but all I can offer is commiseration.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 07:07 PM »
  Like I said before, I read ALL OF THEIR FAQS on their website, and read 3 reviews, one by them, and no one ever mentioned that you had to buy the software every year.  And now your saying they're hiding it in the Subscription Faq???  How would you know if you even needed a subscription in the first place unless you read through all the faqs?

I have never, and I do mean never, heard anyone ever state that registry cleaners were not necessary.  I don't know what OS you use kimmchii, but with all the Windows OS's I have ever used needed them very badly.  Every tweak guide I have ever read has stated this fact, plus all the professionals that deal with Windows.
  Before I started using registry cleaners my computer system was almost at a halt.  After cleaning it all up and optimizing it, it was like getting a new computer with twice the CPU power.  And I can't tell you how many times I have had to use a registry cleaner/fixer to repair the registry that the OS had successfully munged that Windows for some reason wouldn't restore.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 07:46 PM »
Tinman57 - I think the issue is more that using reg cleaners is an enterprise best entered into with EXTREME caution. I've given up on them (and RAM optimizers) as being more trouble than they are worth.

Still, I'm glad that you are using one successfully. I can only assume that you are very conscienttious about vetting the changes that a regsitry cleaner decides are necessary for your system and throw some of the suggestions out? What cleaner do you use, by the way?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 02:09 AM »
How do I renew my License/Subscription? Once the one year subscription period is over, you will have to re-purchase the software.

personally i find this outrageous and i completely agree with you tinman with your comment:

If I had of seen this subscription notice I would have thought it would be for future updates.

if a company wants to charge for major updates, fine.  i have no problem with that.
and if an antivirus company wants to charge a yearly subscription to get the latest antivirus definitions, fine again.

but to make a local desktop program like this STOP WORKING after a year and make you buy another subscription -- i would run as fast as i could away from such a company.  not cool.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 11:33 AM »
It appears that the members of this forum have, by and large, had negative experiences of registry cleaners, tinman, Ive used them now with nothing but positive results for quite a while, JV16 and registry mechanic (i got it free off a magazine lol).   I hope you can sort out the problems you are having, if they are going to have that sort of charging it should be in nice big letters on the main page so it cant be missed.

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 11:52 AM »
I just go on, day by day, registry accumulating stuff like Katamari Damacy and don't worry about it until something breaks.  But I *have* used registry cleaners in the past when fixing things -- sometimes it's the only way short of a reinstall.

But running one on a schedule?  Nah.  Just not something I worry about.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 11:59 AM »
Yeah... I've actually spent a fortune on registry cleaners and still have Registry Medic installed, but rarely use it and only VERY judiciously.

I haven't exactly had negative experiences with registry cleaners, it's more that I have come to appreciate how cautiously they should be used - simply scanning and accepting changes (deletions usually but sometimes re-directions) is asking for trouble down the road - broken links, apps that will no longer run, "un-registration"/de-activation of applications, Active-X components and dlls messed up, help files missing, uninstallation paths wiped out, etc.).

Re: the actual point of this thread, I think it is absolutely disgusting to charge an end-user for the privilege of continuing to use a desktop application.

:down:  :down:

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 08:11 PM »
  I have (in the past) come across some registry cleaners that were more dangerous than anything, which is why I always make a backup BEFORE doing anything with the registry.  Now as much as I hate Symantec, their registry cleaner (2005) works pretty good.  But you really need more than one registry cleaner.  Like anti-virus software, one may not catch something another will.
  I also use Eusing Free Registry Cleaner, and I've been very impressed with it so far.  It picks up a lot of stuff that Symantec's don't, plus it backs up/restores the registry.
  I've never had either one of these cleaners ask to remove a registry entry that was vital to the system.  I've had them show some things that would affect preferences/history of a few programs, but Eusing also gives you the option to add them to the ignore list and never list them again in the scan.

I'm very careful, even though I trust both these programs, I still check all the entries to make sure nothing important is listed.  I've also heard good things about JV16.  They have a nice suite, but I like to pick and choose apps, don't care for suites too much.   ;)

I filed a complaint with the FTC on Max Alert, the a__wipes....

I do a registry cleaning/system backup every Friday.  Something I learned years ago, the 3 golden rules for computers, they are  1.  Backup.  2. Backup.  3. Backup.
  It has saved my buns many times.....

I do know for a fact that a cluttered up registry will bog a computer down to a standstill, just like a fragmented hard drive will do.  I keep my puter running in top condition at all times, and it is faster than greased owl crap.  ;)

The last reg cleaner reviews I read (independent) put Registry Medic below a couple of others.  But that's subject to change every other month as new releases come out.  I never, ever read reviews from the company's web site until I've read independent reviews.  Some of these companies will have their own reviews plastered on a bunch of other web pages that was just an oversized ad, so you have to be careful about that too.  It pays to research, at least most of the time.  Max Alert pulled one over on me for the first and last time....

Another program I use is called RegCompact.net.  It removes all the unused spaces out of the registry, makes it much smaller and faster.  Good program, I use it every Friday like clockwork.   ;)

I'll bet Mouser could hack out a registry cleaner that would blow them all away...  ;)

Hmmm, perhaps some of this should go in the reviews/suggestions section.

doublewitt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 06:14 PM »
I also use Eusing Free Registry Cleaner, and I've been very impressed with it so far.  It picks up a lot of stuff that Symantec's don't, plus it backs up/restores the registry. I've never had either one of these cleaners ask to remove a registry entry that was vital to the system.  I've had them show some things that would affect preferences/history of a few programs, but Eusing also gives you the option to add them to the ignore list and never list them again in the scan.

I have used the Eusing Free Registry Cleaner also with very reliable service. There is also the free WISE Registry Cleaner that shows which items should be fixed and which should NOT be "fixed". You also have the option to undo a previous "fix". You can create an exclusion list as well. It can automatically create undo cleanups of data as well, and be programmed to run at startup and afterwards auto-exit after scan and show a log-report. You can pre-select to delete "safe" entries or "unsafe" entries and also use the backup/restore feature. www.wisecleaner.com

Anyways, both have done the job for me along with System Mechanic v6

Windows just doesn't take care of your registry. The registry is so vulnerable to dammages and alterations. Your system can literally come to a halt. It's a vital spot that needs attention on a regular basis. Anybody who has done so will tell you that it makes a world of a differance!

*Terms for purchasing software should always be easy to find and read. Actually, I think that buyers should be taken to the terms page just like when you install a software and you have to read the "terms of usage" before continuing with the installation procedure - so you are "forced" to read the purchasing rules [license] before the actual purchase is made, and so the purchase link is deactivated until the "terms" are reviewed and confirmed by the buyer/client. They could show a bold print with plain and clear language. There could also be an option to SEND a copy of the license to your email address or it can be done automatically. And so, why leave room for misunderstandings??? - unless you purposely want to mislead people...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 05:11 PM by doublewitt »

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 07:59 PM »
Yeah!  What doublewitt said!    :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 08:17 PM »
I ameliorate registry difficulties by using a 3rd party uninstaller (Your Uninstaller Pro 2008). While registry scans turn up over 1000 "errors" my computer doesn't feel "compromised" and I leave well enough alone.

Regarding what doublewitt said about license terms and agreements -  :Thmbsup:

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 11:28 AM »
I use jv16 Powertools for registry cleaning. If nothing else for two good reasons:

1) Since they started charging for this software they did not charge me anything to upgrade for each major version until this year.  Their latest version, jv16 Powertools 2008, will cost me $6.95.  While it is not a lifetime license, it works for me!

2) Rather than clean the registry regularly, I only clean out specific entries when required to do so. Haven't you come across applications that, when having difficulties upgrading to a newer version, tell you to delete all registry entries associated with the previous version? I have, and doing that with the Regedit facility isn't easy when some aren't labeled clearly.

So I use it sparingly, and the cost for this one is, IMO, very reasonable.

Jim