topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:47 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DonationCoder.com Yearly Fundraiser for 2007 - Advice Requested Please  (Read 36578 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DonationCoder.com Yearly Fundraiser for 2007 - Advice Requested Please
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2007, 08:25 AM »
Maybe not so much that this is where all the money donated will go to specifically, but to check off areas of interest that you would like to see improved/added.

More of a donate/survey combo, with the items getting the most votes being made a higher priority, maybe.

That way if there isn't enough donations to pay for all the dreams, then the lowest ranked ones could be delayed till there is enough to cover them.

At the very least you will find out what the members really want and what is important to them.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2007, 08:35 AM »
I like that, app - it makes sense. I can't offhand think of what this is reminding me of specifically, but a "how do you want your donation spent" survey would be a good idea. Once the drive is over, the survey could be analyzed and the results posted.

The PayPal issue is one that I hadn't considered - like Ralf, I am plannning on dumping my DonationCredits into the kitty and then buying more to top it back up. I've never spent less than $10 on PayPal so hadn't considered what PayPal fees would do to the amount that DC actually receives... Let me re-phrase my original challenge: all supporting members with money in their DC accounts divert at least one DC credit into the common fund and all current non-supporting members donate whatever the sweet spot is (be it $1, $3, $5...).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 10:02 PM »
I'm wonder if we should wait until January for the fundraiser.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 10:15 PM »
if we should wait until January for the fundraiser

A lot of people seem to be short of cash soon after Christmas.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 10:17 PM »
argh! is there ever a good time to do a fundraiser   :(

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2007, 10:41 PM »
I'd say do it as planned in December, then if you come up short do another one later -- maybe spring.  Call it the "End of year 2007 Fundraiser". 

Most of us are, after all, procrastinators.

:-)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2007, 03:39 AM »
What Ralf said. I'm an impulsive donator, i.e., if I have it, I give it, if not, it means I'm broke. But a simple appeal such as:

If you missed our holiday fundraiser in December, April is great time to catch up!

Also, I pledge a percentage of my lottery winnings to DC (if I ever win the damn thing). Maybe start a "DC Trust Fund" where mouser could compute from his favorite beach someday.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2007, 05:05 AM »
DonationCoder's December Procrastinators Fund Raiser is now starting. Please don't forget to donate in April!!!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2007, 05:56 AM »
i think i'm all but decided that we should have a fundraiser, but do it in January.

Arjen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Codingspace.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2007, 06:45 AM »
I think the fundraiser month should be a month full of activity on DC, with contests etc., that will (hopefully) inspire people to donate. Not just a month where we ask "please donate". I think publicly setting a goal amount is not necessary or even harmful. App's idea of a survey sounds nice.

If the month will include coding contests, these should be announced well in time. Personally I would like to see an announcement about two months before the deadline so I can plan enough time to work on it.

Don't know if December is a good month. In a way it's great because you can also do a "year in review". On the other hand, people may be busy or short on cash, as was said. For me personally it's a busy month so for a contest, I'd prefer another month. On the other hand, NANY worked out fine last year because there was more time before the deadline.

Maybe it's a good idea to set a DC "calendar" each year (maybe only visible to people who are interested) with deadlines, contests etc. to make things easier to plan.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 06:47 AM by Arjen »

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2007, 08:15 AM »
Hey! I got an idea.  :feedback:

I listen to public radio and during their fun raisers they have "matching dollars". This is where somebody, or some organization, pledges to double the amount of money donated during a certain period. Sometimes there is a goal that must be met for the doubling to occur.

Why don't we look into getting some corporate sponsors. Now, we make it clear to them up front that this is strictly them giving DC cash for absolutely nothing in return except good will.

Then you post on the front page the current sponsor and the goal we need to reach and the deadline we need to reach it by to get the doubling. For example, on Jan 1, we get a matching donation from Company XYZ of we raise $100 in donations by Jan 3rd. And then another one kick in for Company YZA if we raise $50 by Jan 5th, etc. Maybe some  dot com millionaire will pledge to match 5:1 for every $1 raised over a 24 hour period.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2007, 10:26 AM »
It's a fun idea but i dont think matching funds are right for our site.  We aren't a real "charity" and i dont think companies will want to do this..  Maybe something similar could be done though.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2007, 04:02 PM »
The fundraiser is coming up in only 12 days!

Please give me some more suggestions of things we can do to encourage people who have signed up but not donated or not participated in the forum to take the plunge. And suggestions for ways to thank people who have already donated.

(note that per our long standing policy, we don't want to do anything that would make people who donated say in december think that they should have waited).

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2007, 04:08 PM »
What about a special software drawing (of the better giveaways) for people who have been active in the forum with at least 5 posts (or something like that) in January, to draw some people out. :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2007, 05:43 PM »
But make sure that the five posts have to come from wallflowers! Perhaps people who have not posted recently (3 months, 6 months, ever or something like that).

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2007, 04:26 PM »
right, off to start lurking now!

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2007, 04:36 PM »
But make sure that the five posts have to come from wallflowers! Perhaps people who have not posted recently (3 months, 6 months, ever or something like that).

Or newly registered people, so no one is left unencouraged.  I think everyone else that is fairly regular here has already won something at some point.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2007, 10:43 PM »
Yes, quite right vegas. I assumed that they would be covered in the no recent activity category, but you're right, I should have been more specific. You're right, too, that Donationcoder has been a very generous place. I've won more than my fair in the monthly giveaways  :Thmbsup:

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2007, 11:18 PM »
argh! is there ever a good time to do a fundraiser   :(

New training in a new job has prevented me from posting sooner so I am sorry for that, but to answer your question - I think Feb/March is the best time in the U.S. due to tax returns for those who actually receive them.  Worldwide?  Good question.  Probably the same timeframe unless they have a disbursement at another time of year.  Why?  Anyone who gets paid on some type of monthly schedule gets a second paycheck half a week sooner than any other time of year.  Time paid (Hourly/Daily/Weekly) workers?  You get to join the tax return payers. :-\  Any farmers out there that can point to a good time for them?  I am guessing after Fall Harvest or Spring Planting?  Just some thoughts...

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I want a "I support DonationCoder" button for my website :D